PDA

View Full Version : A good day to hunt!

tanacat
12-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Finally got out today, it was a sunny day 40's. Still a bit cold... but you know how it is for us addicts :rolleyes: It usually takes biting wind and snow or pelting rain to keep me from hunting lol

I'm really happy with the 1935 merc 3 deep next to the church sidewalk and earrings- I've never found a PAIR of earrings together! They were also about 3 deep and are stamped 925 on both (the smallest I have ever seen stamped, found with my loupe). The best part is that they look like little marbles- I love collecting the marbles I've found while detecting.

:smitten: I have a jar of about 30 or 40 by now- I need to count them! Marbles are special, you can't help wonder about the kids who played with them, the joy they brought in days of simple toys and where those kids are now. Here's also a couple pics of 4 marbles and a truck I found in my mom's backyard in the same hole (house built in 1951)...

Thanks for looking! Btw, Santa is shipping me an SEF Butterfly coil - I can't wait to try out at some of the sites I've been hunting steadily for over 2 years!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_0886.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_3352.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_2617.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_2615.jpg

jkress
12-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Awesome pix Tana. :yes: :smitten:

Love the first one especially. Congrats on a late December hunt. Hard to believe the warm temps lately. :confused:

Congrats on the Merc :smitten: and the pair of earrings. :shocked04: Finding them both isn't typical.

Looking forward to hearing your experience with the 10x12. :-> Lots and lots of folks have great results with it.

Hook
12-27-2011, 07:34 AM
nice marbles Tana..just dont lose any! :twirlingeyes:. and the bling and merc are great digs .
i guess i'm weird, because the few marbles i've found while digging i always just throw away.
HH and good luck !

randy
12-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Beautiful site and beautiful silver. Which size SEF are you getting?

tanacat
12-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Beautiful site and beautiful silver. Which size SEF are you getting?

Thanks! Let me set straight that the pic of my site was taken a few months ago (when/where I found my beloved 1838o seated dime). There aren't leaves on the trees now and the grass isn't so green lol

Joe got it right- 12 x10 Butterfly coil thumbsup01

tanacat
12-27-2011, 08:37 AM
nice marbles Tana..just dont lose any! the few marbles i've found while digging i always just throw away.

lol rofl Too late! And sounds like you've lost a few too- for throwing good marbles away like that... Well, it shows you've been hunting a while. I used to keep a lot of items I throw out now -hubby gave me a hard time I think a lot of you can relate :thinkingabout:

But I still save ALL buckles, keys, toy cars, knives, marbles, etc... it's fun to collect them and not too bad because they're small items. I used to save larger farming implements/items of labor like axes, files, hoes, tractor parts, but they accumulated and I ran out of room lol But I still save horseshoes ;) and stirrups. Oh and I have a pretty big box of lantern parts rofl Man I love this hobby :)

tanacat
12-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Looking forward to hearing your experience with the 10x12. :-> Lots and lots of folks have great results with it.

Thanks Joe! That's what I like to hear :) They're backordered, I guess Santa had lots of requests this year!

CODY
12-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Nice finds, congrats.

aloldstuff
12-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Nice hunting in nice weather, well not bad weather. Hope the new coil proves helpful in getting whats left out there. I also like it when a marble pops up. Some of them can be worth some serious money.

Tony Two-Cent
12-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Very nice hunt, Tana! I love the Merc and the earrings! :happydance01:

That's amazing, finding a pair of earrings together! :shocked04:

I, too, enjoy finding marbles when I'm metal detecting. It makes you wonder how many marbles are really out there in the ground if we find so many by pure happenstance.

I'm glad you are taking advantage of this decent weather while it lasts! thumbsup01

serega
12-27-2011, 01:23 PM
tana :clapping:

Yes! You're right - we are addicts <}. Our dependence - is to dig a hole.
If i do not dig the 3 days - starts breaking,
Liberty Coin - very good. :clapping:
A marble balls? Why does your country have so many? In what year did it?
You'll dig tomorrow? lol

In your country the church - a interesting look. We do not build

In the village - where I live, there is one church.
It was built in 1700. It's large. Made of brick red
Brick has no cement, people used egg yolks (for cement)
In 1930, the Communists wanted her to blow up ... But our churches - to withstand an explosion of dynamite. (thick and wall hard)
They want to make a second explosion, but they were forbidden to their superiors.
If they increase the blast - the next house (Residential buildings near collapse, and not withstanding)
Now - our church - made ​​repairs.
I'll give you the photo - in a soon time.

tanacat
12-27-2011, 07:05 PM
I, too, enjoy finding marbles when I'm metal detecting. It makes you wonder how many marbles are really out there in the ground if we find so many by pure happenstance.

Need to invent a marble finding detector :yes: Or perhaps there's something out there already :shocked04:stretcher: Technology is amazing now-a-days, but I'm still skeptical of the 15 miles x 15 ft cache detectors... do these really work? :dontknow: lol

A marble balls? Why does your country have so many? In what year did it?
You'll dig tomorrow? lol

I'll give you the photo - in a soon time.

I'd love to see pic of the old church |:cheering: Thanks for the history of your piece of country. This church too built in 1700's

Here's a bit of history about marbles:

Marble History

People have been playing marbles and marble-like games for thousands of years. It is thought that marbles started with the cavepeople playing with small pebbles or balls of natural clay. Clay balls have been found in the tombs of Egypt, they have also been found in Native American burial grounds. They have also been discovered in the ancient Aztec pyramids. So, guys and gals have probably been enjoying some kind of marble-like pastimes.

In 1815 the earliest book on marbles was written in England, it said that marbles were made of china, clay, glass or even real marble. In 1848 a German glass blower invented the marble scissors (a mold to make marbles) that revolutionized the process of making marbles. In 1890 the first machine made marbles were made in Germany and later that year in the U.S.

In 1950 several super marble extravaganzas occurred. First, in Japan the cats eye marble was created by injecting colored glasses into the normal marble. Then in the U.S. people found out that if you bake your marbles before they cool you will get a crackled effect.

Perhaps the biggest event in marbles occurred in 1960 when Neil Armstrong (the first man on the moon) described the Earth out of his spaceship window as a ìBig blue marble.î

These days marbles can be made of all sorts of materials. Glass is the most popular. Clay marbles are made inexpensively but are not as accurate as glass marbles. Almost all marbles are machine made. Glass marbles are made by melting glass in a furnace and poured into molds, then colored glasses are injected into the molten marbles creating designs like cats eyes and comics. Now the molds with the molten marbles in them are cooled and voila' youíve got marbles with funky designs in them.

There has been a National Marbles Tournament since 1922, for many of those years it has been held in Wildwood, New Jersey. The group of guys and gals that compete in the tournament are fourteen years and younger with male and female divisions. The tournament is four days long. The National Marbles Tournamentís official game is Ringer a game that originated from one of the oldest marble games Ringtaw. Prizes include scholarships worth thousands and cash prizes. This June 1999 will be the seventy-sixth annual tournament.

For thousands of years marbles have proven themselves to be one of the worlds most popular, interesting and entertaining games.

tanacat
12-27-2011, 07:15 PM
I also like it when a marble pops up. Some of them can be worth some serious money.

I keep meaning to get online/check-out books @ library to learn value of marbles... Do you have a pretty good collection Al? I think I might start a thread on marbles lol

It would be nice to check out pics over the winter- when we can't get out and detect :frozen:

OxShoeDrew
12-27-2011, 07:41 PM
It blows me away the amount of marbles found. I don't know as I've ever found one. I bet the colors are surprising in the hole. I remember playing a few games of marbles but quickly tossed em aside for a football or basketball. Now finding a basketball in a hole would be something different. lol

Epi-hunter
12-28-2011, 02:07 AM
Nice hunt Tana. I like the marbles too.

But 40 degrees is not cold! lol Everyone in Kentucky keeps saying it's cold when it's 40 degrees and sunny but it is actually beautiful weather.

That is perfect detecting weather, just a fleece jacket and there is nothing better. :happydance01:

Ill Digger
12-28-2011, 02:11 AM
That/ those is/ are lol a cool find! thumbsup01 :cool: lol
:thinkingabout: They must have fallen out of a persons pocket at the same time or something. :dontknow: lol
I dig'em thumbsup01 I've only found a few. But they're always a welcome surprise! <:
Gotta show the love for the Merc too! :peace: lol
Nice hunt!
Congrats! :grin:

That is perfect detecting weather, just a fleece jacket and there is nothing better. :happydance01:
I agree! thumbsup01 thumbsup01
Those guys can keep those 90°+ days :rolleyes: lol

tanacat
12-28-2011, 08:51 AM
But 40 degrees is not cold! lol Everyone in Kentucky keeps saying it's cold when it's 40 degrees and sunny but it is actually beautiful weather.

The wind chill is what gets me sometimes on those 40 degree days- when it blows up and around your neck into your fleece jacket... lol Scarves are great for those days. I am a cold weather lover myself. My dream is to live in mountains of Montana or Alaska but my husband and one of my sons don't like the cold :-\

I bet the colors are surprising in the hole. Yes! it's like finding gold for me now-a-days :cheesysmile: I hope you find one Drew! You'll get marble fever rofl

Gotta show the love for the Merc too! :peace: lol
Nice hunt!

Oh absolutely :smitten: the merc is actually why we're in the coinshooting section and here we are talking about marbles lol

milco
12-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Very cool finds and great info on the marbles! It is amazing how many are found when MDing and diggin in the dirt. My daughter collects them, so I give them all to her, she has some very nice old marbles in her collection.