PDA

View Full Version : Big 1833 Mexican Silver

jkress
12-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Ron and I headed south of town today with the intention of hunting a small town park we hadn't searched yet this year.
As we arrived at the park, we noticed a much more promising site across the street. This lot once held an 1835 homestead. :drool:

We searched for several hours and both of us came away with a nice pocketful of keepers. :happydance01: The site is very large, about 4 times the size of the small park we originally planned on hunting. We found coins from one side of this place to the other. I am sure many oldies will continue to come from here for several more hunts. :yes:

Half way through the hunt I came across an 8 inch signal exactly like the one I received when I found a Morgan Dollar. With little hopes of another Morgan, I was still going after this one regardless. Very much to my surprise, a big silver disc popped out encased in mud and dirt.

1833 Mexican 8 Reales. Same size as a Morgan.
http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-209.jpg

http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-210.jpg

Also dug up a nice handful of smaller silver.
http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-211.jpg

And a few IH's.
http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-212.jpg

There is a corrosion on the 8 Reales that will not come off with water and soft toothbrush. :confused:
I can pick off small pieces with my fingernail. Does anyone have a suggestion for removing this corrosion?

It's in such nice shape otherwise. I'd love to be able to clean it up for display. :smitten:

del
12-27-2011, 08:38 PM
:omg: holy cow Joe :smitten: :smitten: great 8 reale , i've never seen corrosion like that stick to a silver coin :confused: i sure hope its not a counterfiet ;) theres a couple of ways to take that off that silver coin Joe , you could soak it in cold water for a few seconds and then either put it under a hot hairdryer or heatlamp . heating it up should make it kind of brittle to pop off with a toothpick. if that doesn't work give me a pm . again what a great great hunt you had |:confused:) |:confused:)

Dan

Tony Two-Cent
12-27-2011, 08:47 PM
:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

You know it's a great hunt when six silvers including a seated dime and four Indian Heads are your secondary finds! HOLY COW!

That 8 Reales is mind blowing, Joe! That's a spectacular find, my friend! :perfect10:

Just look at the incredible detail left on it! I bet that green stuff will come off. What a beautiful coin!

Congrats on the incredible hunt! I'm flabbergasted! |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:)

Epi-hunter
12-27-2011, 08:51 PM
OMG Joe!!!! :perfect10:

You were serious when you said you were going to start collecting them lol lol

jkress
12-27-2011, 09:01 PM
i've never seen corrosion like that stick to a silver coin :confused:

Thanks Dan. thumbsup01
It surprised me too. When I was at the site, I assumed perhaps it had a lower silver content. After looking it up on line... it has a tad more than 90%. :confused: It almost looks like dirt, but it won't come off with water and brush. :dontknow:

You know it's a great hunt when six silvers including a seated dime and four Indian Heads are your secondary finds!

Thank you Tony.
lol lol Yep... the other items ended up being secondary after that one hole. :yes:

You were serious when you said you were going to start collecting them lol lol

rofl Except I want to collect Spanish Reales. :rolleyes:

dave in iowa
12-27-2011, 09:33 PM
wow Joe , great finds
|:cheering:

Full Metal Digger
12-27-2011, 09:34 PM
That sure is a beautiful coin! That green stuff usually happens when there is another coin in hole with it. Did you rescan after you dug it? Thanks for showing it to us! Best wishes and hh, Dave.

milco
12-27-2011, 10:11 PM
:omg: Wow is all I can say, I may say more when I look at this thread again in the future and regain my composure! Congrats!!!

Ill Digger
12-27-2011, 11:01 PM
:omg: OMG Joe!! :shocked04:
Thats awesome!! <: What a piece of silver!! :envious:
This hunt could constitute 3, 4 or 5 really, really.....,really good hunts!! :yes:
It's just off the charts!! :white:usaflag:: :white:usaflag::
Big congrats!! :grin: :grin:

P.S. Only 2 more to go :cheering: :poke:

CODY
12-27-2011, 11:17 PM
:omg: :omg: :omg: WOW I can't think of anything worthy to say!!! |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) YOU are the MAN!

randy
12-28-2011, 05:36 AM
Congrats on an awesome hunt :perfect10: Can't wait to see what else comes out of that site.

aloldstuff
12-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Joe, what a beautiful 8 reale. As stated earleir all that silver, IH's are your secondary finds = great hunt. Hope you can get back for more. Huge congrats and I hope that reale cleans up nice.

pulltabsteve
12-28-2011, 04:05 PM
:perfect10: Holy Smokes Joe!!! WTG on the 8 reale. Nice digs from that spot. Cant wait to see what else turns up. thumbsup01

serega
12-28-2011, 04:22 PM
:perfect10: thumbsup01 :clapping:

jkress
12-28-2011, 11:53 PM
wow Joe , great finds
|:cheering:

Thanks Dave. Sure wish you could have went with us.

That sure is a beautiful coin! That green stuff usually happens when there is another coin in hole with it. Did you rescan after you dug it? Thanks for showing it to us! Best wishes and hh, Dave.

Thank you DD.
Very good point. I did check the hole after I saw the silver disc on my dirt pile. Nothing beeped in the hole. Then... I took the coin to Ron and we went to the vehicle to wash it off to see what it was. Not sure I ever put my pinpointer in the dirt pile before back filling the hole. :confused: It's kind of a blur right now... but next time there I am definitely swinging over that plug again. The green corrosion is exactly what another copper coin could produce.

I may say more when I look at this thread again in the future and regain my composure!

lol thumbsup01

:omg: OMG Joe!! :shocked04:
Thats awesome!! <: What a piece of silver!! :envious:

Thanks for the phone call last night Tim. :)
I was very, very surprised to find such an early silver coin. You are right, there is definitely much more left there to find.

:omg: :omg: :omg: WOW I can't think of anything worthy to say!!! |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) YOU are the MAN!

lol Thanks. I get lucky from time to time. :yes:

Can't wait to see what else comes out of that site.

Me too. I can't wait for spring. :->

Huge congrats and I hope that reale cleans up nice.

Thanks. I did make some nice progress on the cleaning process today. I'll post the updated pictures shortly.

:perfect10: Holy Smokes Joe!!! WTG on the 8 reale. Nice digs from that spot. Cant wait to see what else turns up. thumbsup01

thumbsup01 Thanks Steve.

:perfect10: thumbsup01 :clapping:

:beerbuddy:

Here are some recent photos after some cleaning. :smitten:
http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-60.jpg

http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-61.jpg

Ill Digger
12-29-2011, 12:11 AM
Here are some recent photos after some cleaning. :smitten:
:shocked04: Wow! What a difference!! thumbsup01 :clapping:
Thats better!! :yes: Now at least you can make out the details! Sweet! thumbsup01

Jeff (or)
12-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Terrific find! Congrats!!!! :beerbuddy: :cool:

JTGOLD
12-29-2011, 11:46 AM
I use electrolasis to get that green off all coins and it doesn't hurt the coins,I mix baking soda and water,it does a great job for me,hopes this helps and it only takes about 3 min.,,,,,,thats a very nice find,wtg.

MinelabIowa
12-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Great job! Nice hunt Joe! Big silver is a thrill to find.

Ytcoinshooter
12-30-2011, 07:45 PM
:perfect10:That would make a great month of coinshooting for me!
Congrats!!!

milco
12-30-2011, 11:25 PM
The cleaning looks like it turned out well! I'll be coming back to this thread often to :shocked03: all winter long!!

tanacat
01-01-2012, 02:41 PM
:omg: :shocked03: :omg: :shocked03: Not only big silver, but big OLD silver! :clapping:

Big time congrats on that one Joe!!! :beerbuddy:

jkress
01-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Now at least you can make out the details! Sweet! thumbsup01

Oh yeah! :smitten:

Terrific find! Congrats!!!! :beerbuddy: :cool:

Thanks Jeff. Definitely one of my favorites from this year. :yes:

I use electrolasis to get that green off all coins and it doesn't hurt the coins,I mix baking soda and water,it does a great job for me,hopes this helps and it only takes about 3 min.,,,,,,thats a very nice find,wtg.

Thank you JT. I did use the boiling water/banking soda and aluminum foil method to bring it to where it is. I could probably give it another go around and remove some more of the stain. At least the corrosion build up is gone.

Big silver is a thrill to find.

Thanks Joe. :) It is thrilling to pull out the bigger silver discs. :smitten:

:perfect10:That would make a great month of coinshooting for me!
Congrats!!!

thumbsup01 Made my year. :)

The cleaning looks like it turned out well!

It did. I tried the olive oil soak and scrape for a little while... but I got impatient and stepped up the cleaning a notch. :rolleyes:

Big time congrats on that one Joe!!! :beerbuddy:

Thank you Tana. It was nice to join the Mexican 8 Reale club with you. :clapping: