PDA

View Full Version : Garrett's answer

toehead
02-18-2010, 07:33 AM
First of all if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it. But I was wondering when Garrett is going to come out with a detector to compete with the v3 and the e-trac? Or have they already and the v3 and e-trac the answer to Garrett's?
Competition between manufacturers is a good thing for us, as they keep detectors on the cutting edge.
Any thoughts anyone?

coinnut
02-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Competition from manufacturers is always going on. But each manufacturer decides which slice of the pie they are trying to steal back lol I personally don't think Garrett has a detector that will match the V3 or E Trac. But I also don't think they are shooting for that market share either. Garrett has done just fine with the low end machines (exa - Ace 250). They offer mid and high end machines, but not that ultimate machine. Now maybe they have something in the works, but I think they make more money on the entry level machines. I've tried Garretts over the years and have never found them to match the depth I was getting from the other brands. So you can hold out for a new machine from Garrett, but I think you will see a challange from Fisher before Garrett. Just my thoughts though. I don't have any spy anywhere rofl

toehead
02-18-2010, 01:11 PM
coinnut... I won't be holding out for a new machine from Garrett. I am kinda partial to White's myself. It was just a question if they have a competitor. I agree they have done fine in the low end market. The only Garrett I have personally used was my son's Ace, which I thought worked good. It just seemed that Garrett would offer a top of the line, all the bells and whistles detector for their tried and true brand fans.
I mean if I was a Garrett guy, I would like to at least have the option of competing with the v3 and e-trac while staying with Garrett. Maybe one of the Garrett guys here can fill us in.

coinnut
02-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Yea, I had White's for many years and still have the DFX. I do know that Garrett has a water machine (the Infinium? I think it's called) and a bunch of the better water hunters in our local club use them. They have other water machines, but I hear about the Infinium the most. I think, and this is just a guess, why Garrett doesn't go for that ultimate machine, is the fact that it requires tying up their engineers for a long hall project, manuvering around the hundreds of pattents, and justifying that after all that, they can sell enough to make a good profit. Whites and Minelab are always locking horns to be the best, Fisher to an extent too. I don't think Garrett would do itself any good by fighting them 3. I think Garrett will always do what's best for them. They will hit the low end market, have upper price machines available, and keep their good position in the water department. But these are all just my guesses on their motives. We will never know the whole truth lol.

marchas45
02-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Garrett tends to go for the Gold prospecting market and their machines do quite well on gold. The Infinium is great in the water and wet sand but terrible on dry sand and land for coins and such but gold is a differant story great prospecting detector in rivers and rocks and such. ;)

Jason in Enid
02-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Garrett hasn't put out a new coin machine in a long time. I agree with what others have said. They are mainly going for the low-end market. More people are buying brand new aces to start in the hobby, than people are buying the Vs and E-Trac.

kurtnks
02-19-2010, 01:29 PM
I don't have a clue about a new detector from garrett :confused: But I know they hit a home run when they made the Pro pointer! That little dude is awesome thumbsup01 Still like my sunray probe the best though :grin:

CyberSage
02-20-2010, 11:33 AM
I agree, the Pro Pointer is with question one of the best pinpointers available. I use it now with the V3 instead of the Sunray DX-1. I originally bought it for my Wife to use with the DFX. I will probably end up bgetting another one as she prefers it to the Sunray as well.

Ill Digger
02-28-2010, 02:21 AM
Yeah the PP has got to be a good income for Garrett.
They also have a big hand in the security detectors for detecting wepons and such on people.

leslie(nova scotia)
02-28-2010, 04:26 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....I think Garrett has to catch up with the performance of it's older machines ....never mind the competetors. Be one with your machine!

hoser
04-15-2010, 01:46 AM
When i first started MD'ing I owned two Garrett detectors. The ADS-7 Deepseeker, and the AT-3 Beach hunter. Both machines were good and I made a ton of finds with them. The ADS was moderately deep, not like the V-3 or Etrac by any means. One trouble with Garretts is they are really not open to suggestions from detectorists. I wrote them a long time ago just after the Ace 250 came out and asked if they were thinking about making a detector based on the Ace design that would be waterproof like the old AT-3 was. They just said NO. In my mind a waterproof Ace would be a great all around machine to have if you want an entry level machine that you could land hunt and water hunt without breaking the bank so to speak. :huh: :confused:

coinnut
04-15-2010, 06:41 AM
When i first started MD'ing I owned two Garrett detectors. The ADS-7 Deepseeker, and the AT-3 Beach hunter. Both machines were good and I made a ton of finds with them. The ADS was moderately deep, not like the V-3 or Etrac by any means. One trouble with Garretts is they are really not open to suggestions from detectorists. I wrote them a long time ago just after the Ace 250 came out and asked if they were thinking about making a detector based on the Ace design that would be waterproof like the old AT-3 was. They just said NO. In my mind a waterproof Ace would be a great all around machine to have if you want an entry level machine that you could land hunt and water hunt without breaking the bank so to speak. :huh: :confused:

The best way to get a manufacturer's attention is to tell them you won't be buying their products anytime soon, unless they make a machine you want. Big companies never listen. It doesn't matter if they are selling metal detectors or popsicles lol Where's my cherry /almond crunch popsicle anyways mister manufacturer? :confused: lol I buy what works now and brand loyalty is out the window. No more lifetime commitments for me ;)

randwool
06-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Looks like Garrett will let the other guy's bash it out for the high-end detector market. I have no complaints from any of my MD's, they find all the pull tabs you think might be rings you would ever want to dig.

NiagaraCountyNY
07-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Ive been wondering this myself.my 1st High end detector was the GTI 2500 I bought due to the sizing(which they claim a patten to I guess) .I would think they could make a higher end machine and maybe take the sizing they alrdy have and improve it a tad..I know they make a ton of ace 250 and pro pointer sales as well as all the security wands and walk thru machines they sell to airports ect. I own an ace 250 as well as the gti 2500 still(they are collecting dust).I found the ace 250 goes as deep as the GTI 2500 ...which cost me 1k compared to 200 for the ace.ive always liked garret and would always be willing to try any machine as good as or Better than my E-Trac(No matter who made it!).Im not Brand loyal...Im Depth/Seperation ability Loyal!! Hehe HH everyone!

coinnut
07-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Im not Brand loyal...Im Depth/Seperation ability Loyal!! Hehe HH everyone!

rofl Same here. :yes:

Hillbilly Dave
02-07-2011, 04:36 AM
We have 2 Garretts detectors the GTI 2500 and the GTI 1500 and have had no complaints. They are truly push one button and go machines. They can be programed to any hunting mode in a matter of seconds and have about a 25 hour hunting time on a set of batteries.There are a lot of good detectors out there including Whites and Minelab but Garretts has performed well for us and our next detector will be a Garretts .

M-Taliesin
02-07-2011, 09:43 AM
asked if they were thinking about making a detector based on the Ace design that would be waterproof like the old AT-3 was. They just said NO. In my mind a waterproof Ace would be a great all around machine to have if you want an entry level machine that you could land hunt and water hunt without breaking the bank so to speak. :huh: :confused:

Howdy Hoser!
Have you seen the AT-Pro?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Dimeman
02-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Howdy Hoser!
Have you seen the AT-Pro?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

The AT Pro is a mid priced detector--waterproof to 10 feet deep and can out perform Whites M6. :shocked04: ( JMHO) As a Whites user for 20+ years they have been good detectors, but there are more options out there to try. :yes: And some are better, and some might be worse for your particular circumstances.

I have used the M6 since 2007 and just took the AT Pro to my old school where I had gridded a specific area 3 or 4 times with the M6. The AT Pro got almost 5 dollars in clad at 6-7 inches in and around lots of trash items, that the M6 had missed. And I am still learning how to operate the AT Pro. I can't imagine what I will be finding when I really learn how to use it.... :thinkingabout: lol

This area was one that 2 other guys had been searching for a few years---- I came in with my M6 and also used my IDX and got over $10 in clad and about 10 silver coins, behind the little yellow machine and a Silver sword, machine.

The main thing is NOT the brand or how expensive your detector is. It is knowing how to use your particular detector to the best of your, and its abilities. :yes:

RWJR13
02-07-2011, 06:36 PM
..... |:confused:)......you are correct Dimeman..............

giant056
02-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Back when the TR machines were the rage the Garrett's were right up there with the top dogs for high end machines.

leslie(nova scotia)
02-27-2011, 02:40 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....being a Garrett only swinger for close to 40 years I feel I have the right to say that they are indeed falling behind butthen again detectors in general are at their apex. if you got just a 1/4 inch deeper each year (as most adverstise) one would be digging to China every target.

Where detector manufactures can go is with better service, more durable model and ones that can stand any climate or envirment.

Be one with your machine! Wouldn't trade my 22 year old Freedom 3 pluses for any thing!

Spike
02-27-2011, 07:07 PM
As a E-trac and DFX user I think the At pro is a VERY under rated detector in standard mode out of the box it air tests better than a hot DFX program and is FUN to hunt with and not fight with thumbsup01

RobW
04-04-2011, 12:56 PM
I have owned 7 different Garretts over 20+ years

I agree with a lot of the posts here, I think Garrett is going for QUANTITY and not quality, being that there are tons of people who like the idea of detecting and get a low end machine and do it a few times and quit. I also think they are going for the security services area... you don't see White's detectors at the airport...

My recent personal experience with Garrett headquarter's left a bad taste....I was pretty loyal and was looking at upgrading my machine, but after that experience, I have no remorse for buying my Minelab E-Trac...and since have been finding better finds more consistantly.

But I did buy a Garrett 350 for my dad for X-Mas because you can't beat a Garrett for a beginning machine at the price.

RWJR13
04-07-2011, 03:33 PM
I would myself like to see a new top end Garrett..... :daydream:

Spike
04-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Me too I think all they are missing on the At pro is better discrimination settings other than 5 numbers at a time. I really like the whites company but MY DFX dose not hold a candle to the At pro in any area depth,separation or ease of using so I gess the DFX is not a high end detector :dontknow: I am not bashing whites they have done all they could do to make me happy but again MY DFX is far from a $1300 detector would love to see a good DFX user (not me) against the At pro I believe alot of people would be :shocked04: and ya coinnut I like my At pro rofl rofl

Templar
04-20-2011, 01:29 AM
At this time I don't keep any brand loyalties. I bought the AT Pro a couple months ago out of curiosity. Not to much later I had to send it in for the AT Fix. And thought Oh boy what did I get myself into this time. Got it back and did some mods to it so it could fit my style, and now it is a fun detector to use.
I was a die hard Whites fan for a long time and thought they ruled the earth. Lol
Even though I still keep one handy, I'm getting hooked on this new AT. I'm daily becoming more and more impressed with its performance. And target seperation is astounding.
I agree with the above if someone comes out with a new wonder machine, it will probably be Fisher. Although with the economy the way it is, if I were a manufacturer I would hold off on top end razzle dazzle for awhile.
Templar