PDA

View Full Version : Machine Lock on and an On Edge Target w iron attached

earthmansurfer
12-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Hey Guys,

The ground will probably be frozen here shortly so I thought to put up a couple of videos which are more on the educational side. I thought had noticed this E-Trac locking on to targets and got it on video. This is where you get a so so signal and then it appears to get better.

I recovered this disc or dog tag like object attached to a small iron rusting iron ring at around 6. The E-Trac gave a very clear repeatable signal on it, which is interesting considering it was exactly on edge at 90 degrees. I think this is a great example of recovering a target that is touching iron.

Further, notice how the E-Trac locks on to the target after initially not giving as good of a signal and VDI. Just repeated short sweeps of the target seem to do this. I never realized another detector I had doing this?

As usual watch the video on YouTube at 480 res to be able to see the screen. I wonder why it doesn't give the option here, maybe because I have revenue sharing turned off? (no ads)

On Edge Target w iron attached at 6inches and Machine Lock on (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO7h5NcU9JM#ws)

CyberSage
12-30-2011, 07:05 PM
That is impressive! I guess we are dealing with a whole new beast here with the E-Trac aren't we Albert. I would be curious to see how the tag and the iron ring show up independently. Sorry to hear that your ground is freezing. The Chinook winds have descended on the Front Range of Colorado. Things are thawing out like crazy. I might be able to get out for a hunt or two. :)

earthmansurfer
12-31-2011, 03:32 AM
Thanks Jack. Yes, you are right, I should have scanned that after retrieval. I also have to remember to scan the holes as the iron is heavy here and doing so will better help me to understand what the unit is telling me.

Chinook winds sound cold for some reason, but good luck with the warming! I look forward to a video from you.

It had gotten down to around freezing the last few days but on Monday will be around 46 degrees! I hope to get out and hunt an old spot that had produced lots of silver in the past but that I really cleaned out - next to nothing the last 10 hunts or so. I mean I've hunted it well over 50 times. The E-Trac test is on the way!

Take care and Happy New Year,
Albert

ps - Minelab definitely has a new machine on the way as on Dankowski's board a man spoke to some Minelab resellers from a recent conference in the US and they showed a new machine. But he didn't know if it was a coin hunter or water hunter etc. I think we'll here more about that as the year goes on.

Jason in Enid
01-01-2012, 11:58 AM
You need to learn the Minelab wiggle. I made a Mercury dime recovery yesterday from it, but it's not the only time.

When you get that kinda good, short tone, but very bouncy target and you can't pinpoint it because of the iron around it.... (whew what a sentence...) Wiggle the coil around the spot and see if you can find one spot where the wiggle get you a good tone. Don't try to pinpoint that spot, just dig. It has worked numerous times for me.

earthmansurfer
01-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks Jason,

When I was moving the coil only 2 to 3, I thought that was essentially what you are talking about, no? When I'm in an area where I can't pinpoint due to too much iron, then I do the 2 wiggle from two angles and usually can find the target center.

Perhaps I misunderstood the Minelab Wiggle, but I had been doing the same 2 coil sweeps with my Teknetics detectors for 7 years or so. But I really did it to get more VDI readings. Now I use it for a pinpointing of sorts like you said. I thought the Minelab Wiggle was something unique to Minelabs?

Albert

Jason in Enid
01-01-2012, 06:02 PM
2 inches would be on the large side of the wiggle. I often do it with about 3/4 movement.

earthmansurfer
01-02-2012, 01:09 PM
2 inches would be on the large side of the wiggle. I often do it with about 3/4 movement.

Hey Jason, Thanks for your clarification. I thought to respond after I would try it out today. Amazing. You know I found the E-Trac odd in that when I first got it I noticed the sound would carry or linger a bit when over a target (not even really moving), sort of like a mini all metal mode? Now I see how this wiggle works differently on the E-Trac than on any other machine I've used.

Anyway, I was pretty amazed at how I barely moved the coil back and forth, like you said, and it really gave me a lot of info in that sound and of course the ID was there (though it doesn't often refresh quick enough.)

Thanks,
Albert

Jason in Enid
01-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Yes, the odd things about the E-Trac is that it doesn't like to update the screen until the coil is moved away from the metal. That is why you can get a good sound from a coin with junk next to it. It may have trouble showing you an accurate ID, but it will still talk about it.