PDA

View Full Version : Final 2011 Hunt... and first in a long time

Epi-hunter
12-31-2011, 10:23 PM
I haven't been out in forever, and wasn't going to post this but thought it might be awhile before the next time too.

I went back to Iowa for the holiday. I only was able to detect for about 35 minutes, but found a merc (deep - maybe 10 inches) that looked like it was dropped just off the mint. Full bands and most that I find are well worn; not this one. And two wheats.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/merc122711.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/mercwheats122711.jpg

Most interestingly, I found this thing about the size of a dollar coin (except rectangular). The front has this guy on it, and the back says HOT! The Zen patron saint and protector of fortune tellers and bartenders.

Weird. :rolleyes: :dontknow: :dontknow: lol

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/weirdthingfront.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/weirdthingback.jpg

Happy New Year everyone :)

pulltabsteve
12-31-2011, 10:30 PM
He's called Hoti :poke: Very nice Iowa Merc!!

PYRAT rums are blended and produced on the island of Anguilla in the British West Indies. In addition to the current facility Anguilla Rums is building an authentic stone rum blending complex on the beach at Road Bay, Anguilla. Rum has always played an important role in Anguilla's history.

HISTORY

CJ Planter, as a wily young English sailor, jumped ship on a remote Caribbean island somewhere in the late 1800s. He soon fell in love with a beautiful young island girl reported to be the illegitimate daughter of a prominent cane grower. Rumor holds that she was conceived one wild full moon carnival night from a rum impassioned affair. The grower became quite fond of CJ and treated him as a son. Through mysterious circumstances, the kindly old grower died one night in a fire at his plantation house. Unbeknownst to the community, the old planter having no immediate family, willed his holdings to CJ and his Caribbean wife. CJ's mother in law, rumored to dabble in magic and witchcraft, suggested to her daughter that the island needed a fine local rum. CJ and his wife built the first rum factory on the island. Their rum became highly prized throughout the Caribbean and Europe, often being hoarded and traded by famous pirates and merchant seamen. Many said that the rum held mystical powers. CJ, having traveled extensively before finding his home in the Caribbean, knew that rum had originated in the Orient. Subsequently, it was decided that they needed a mascot for their new rum. CJ being a poet and philosopher by nature, reasoned that their mascot should be HOTI (pronounced Ho-Tie), the famous Zen patron saint and protector of little children, fortune tellers, and bartenders. Coincidentally this created the perfect irony, since many of their discerning customers were the worldly and infamous pirates and rogues of the day.

dave in iowa
01-01-2012, 03:33 AM
good end of the year hunt , glad you got home , maquoketa right ? next time you get back, we should all get together theres about 4 or 5 of us up here in e.iowa , Happy New year

CODY
01-01-2012, 03:53 AM
Beautiful Merc. Love the token and the story.

randy
01-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Congrats on the sweet merc :clapping: Looks like Iowa is silver heaven -- time for a road trip this spring lol

Tony Two-Cent
01-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Most of all, I'm just glad that you were able to get out for a hunt, Angie! And what a nice bonus that you were able to find a gorgeous Merc in that short time! thumbsup01

I know that sometimes life is hectic and our hobbies have to take a back seat for a while. Here's hoping that 2012 is more relaxing for you and that you get to have a banner year of detecting! http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Smilies/893crossfingers-thumb.gif

jkress
01-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Hey..... you took one of my silvers. :beatdown: lol
Just kidding. :) The Merc looks to be a very nice one. Too bad a 1916D couldn't be found in that kind of shape. :smitten:

Sounds like you had a nice time back here in Iowa with your family. Plus you got a bonus hunt in. <:
Congrats Angie.

Looks like Iowa is silver heaven -- time for a road trip this spring lol

No sir... you stay right where you are. :cheesysmile: :poke: lol

Cheap Thrills
01-01-2012, 04:35 PM
A great way to end a year a sweet Merc and a very cool fob Angie . I enjoyed the history Steve was able to find on that . :perfect10: |:cheering:

Epi-hunter
01-01-2012, 05:16 PM
He's called Hoti :poke: Very nice Iowa Merc!!

Thanks for the history. Leave it to me to find something like that! :shocked04:

good end of the year hunt , glad you got home , maquoketa right ? next time you get back, we should all get together theres about 4 or 5 of us up here in e.iowa , Happy New year

Thanks Dave! Yes, Maquoketa. :) We do have to get together. Found out Joe and I were within two blocks of each other one day. We should all plan a hunt this spring :yes:

Beautiful Merc. Love the token and the story.

Thank you Cody! It was fun to get out, even if only for a short while :yes:

Congrats on the sweet merc :clapping: Looks like Iowa is silver heaven -- time for a road trip this spring lol

You stay right where you are! lol rofl Thanks Randy :)

Most of all, I'm just glad that you were able to get out for a hunt, Angie! And what a nice bonus that you were able to find a gorgeous Merc in that short time! thumbsup01

I know that sometimes life is hectic and our hobbies have to take a back seat for a while. Here's hoping that 2012 is more relaxing for you and that you get to have a banner year of detecting! http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Smilies/893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thank you Tony :) I am hoping the same thing. I wish a great 2012 detecting year for you as well! I thought of you when I drove past your home town, by the way :)

Hey..... you took one of my silvers. :beatdown: lol
Just kidding. :) The Merc looks to be a very nice one. Too bad a 1916D couldn't be found in that kind of shape. :smitten:

Sounds like you had a nice time back here in Iowa with your family. Plus you got a bonus hunt in. <:
Congrats Angie.

I'm surprised you left any silver there for me to find at all lol rofl

I was thinking the same thing about the 1916d. That would have been worth some serious money :yes:

A great way to end a year a sweet Merc and a very cool fob Angie . I enjoyed the history Steve was able to find on that . :perfect10: |:cheering:

Thank you Sheik :yes: It was definitely a nice end to the year. Let's hope the weather holds out... but I think the ground is already freezing :(

aloldstuff
01-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Very nice merc and the token is great. Glad you posted.

Jason in Enid
01-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Very interesting finds and that Merc does look great! Does she have full hair? It's hard to tell from the pic.

Hope you can get out for some more hunting soon!

tanacat
01-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Wow! What a neat find Angie! ((Great info Steve!!)) Congrats on the merc also :clapping:

Glad you had a nice holiday visit with your family Angie :)

angellionel
01-03-2012, 07:02 PM
I don't know Angie... you need to leave those pesky mercs in the ground for those of us who appreciate them. :cheesysmile: lol It is hard to tell from the photo, but it does look like a great looking dime. :yes: Glad to see you were able to get out for a few. thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-03-2012, 09:32 PM
that rum thing is sooo cool! |:cheering: happy new year!