PDA

View Full Version : Last Hunts of 2011 - Silver, Large Cent!

z118
01-01-2012, 03:04 PM
For only the second time in 6 years now I've been able to detect right through the end of the year. I got out on Friday afternoon and headed to a local school. This location in particular is riddled with Lincoln pennies from the 40's, 50's, and 60's. Not much clad at all but enough silver has shown up in past hunts to make it worth while sometimes. This was one of those times. Early in the hunt I got a nice '54 Rosie, which pretty much made my day. I kept at it for a few hours, pausing only to shed a few layers of clothing due to the mild temperatures. I dug the usual large number of copper Lincolns, plus 6 wheats and a 1940 nickel, and a nice Navy button but no more silver. However, as I was getting ready to wrap it up I got a nice, deep tone, pulled a large plug, and was pleasantly surprised to find a big old copper disc - a large cent! It had been about two years since finding my last one. It's pretty cooked, and I don't think I'm getting a date off of it. I think it's a matron head. One way or another, it was a fun find. This is the second large cent I've pulled from this site, in addition to an odd old foreign silver 10 cent piece from the 1800's. Clearly there was something at this site before they built the school there.

Saturday I got out really just hoping for some clad to put me over $500 for the year. I hit another local school with great results in the clad department, plus two fantastic silver rings. One has a beautiful cloudy stone with blue iridescence. The other had a bit of shell in it that did not hold up well in the dirt, but it's a good find for me regardless.

So, total for the last two days of the year was 202 coins worth $15.65. When you throw in the silver dime, large cent, and two nice silver rings this was about as great an end to the year as I could have hoped for. Oddly enough, December turned out to be my best month of the year in terms of clad finds, and it certainly held its own in terms of silver digs as well (coins and jewelry). It was a nice way to end what was otherwise a down detecting year in many regards. I'm looking forward to posting my usual year end total finds some point soon.

Happy hunting, and happy new year!

milco
01-01-2012, 03:17 PM
What a great way to end the year! Congrats on the LC!

Epi-hunter
01-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Wow... fantastic finds!! :perfect10: :perfect10:

Congratulations! That is a terrific way to close out 2011. Love the photos :clapping:

aloldstuff
01-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Silver, wheats and a LC. Nice way to end the year

bob_e99
01-03-2012, 03:17 PM
:perfect10:

:wow:

That's quite the way to finish the year. You seem to have incredibly good luck with schools. For some reason, schools in this area don't yield the variety of targets that you find. Those rings are amazingly nice for sure and the large cent would have put me in a happy mood. I haven't found a large copper since I bought the e-Trac. Maybe it needs tuning? rofl

Congrats on a great hunt.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

z118
01-03-2012, 08:29 PM
That's quite the way to finish the year. You seem to have incredibly good luck with schools. For some reason, schools in this area don't yield the variety of targets that you find.

Keep in mind I may hunt a school a half dozen times or so in a row without turning up anything other than clad. But every now and then something good and surprising will turn up. It's always amazing to me when my best find at a spot comes after 20 plus hunts there.

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-03-2012, 09:33 PM
nice rings and sweet LC!

jkress
01-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Wow... some real nice finds here. The silver rings are gorgeous and of course the LC is an incredible keeper. :smitten:
You had a great year with many nice finds. Congrats Z. :)

By the way... your last shot of the rings is awesome. |:confused:)