PDA

View Full Version : Saturday's colonial hunt with Del

coinnut
02-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Our usual Saturday hunt and was the weather nice! It had to hit 40+ degrees today. :yes: Tried a couple of hunches for some new sites. I better keep my day job. lol Neither of them were worked out. No walls, no cellar holes, just plain old woods (and swamp) :mad:. Will have to be more cautious with Google earth. :rolleyes: There was a site just below that Del had hit before and I struggled out a couple of buttons and a spoon. Stopped at another site on the side of the road, neither of us has hit, and I was quickly rewarded with an ox knob :crying02:. We left there and hit an old standby that was good to Del, but not today rofl ;) My curse is working :crazy: I got a Tombac button, and yet another (my fourth this year) Connecticut copper - 1787. Del was going to charge me to clean it, but I think I can handle it. ;) Another dreaded ox knob and a couple of Memorials (old habits are hard to break) and that is todays hunt. Thanks for looking :)

xzlr8n
02-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Nice COPPER, that would make my day for sure ;)!! That date is the same date my village was founded, hopefully some of those founders dropped some here..

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-20-2010, 07:09 PM
awesome copper! hey how was the digging? soft all over?
waitin on sniffy to call about going tomorrow.
a great day out for you! congrats!

kurtnks
02-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Man you guy's are so lucky to be able to find that old copper!! Looked like a nice hunt to me thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
02-20-2010, 07:21 PM
That would be an AWESOME day for me, with the copper! Glad you guys were able to get out.

coinnut
02-20-2010, 07:28 PM
awesome copper! hey how was the digging? soft all over?
waitin on sniffy to call about going tomorrow.
a great day out for you! congrats!

Hey Dave, the digging is about the same. Soft most parts, roads and near the hole is anywhere from very hard to impossible. What? no comment on the Memorials lol

randy
02-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Sweet copper there, nice readable date. Glad you can get out.

del
02-20-2010, 07:32 PM
ya Coinnut leads me on a wild cellar chase through the woods to find a site that wasn't there :ticked: very nice man , i enjoyed cross country nature hike with all my gear . :rolleyes: :bop: probably part of a big diabolical plan :crazy: to wear me out enough so i'd be so tired to focus on finding coppers and also so i would suggest an area (because when i do that he seems to find the coins as of lately ) so he could reap the rewards . :bangahead01: :bangahead01: i see how it is , pulling no punches this year for that copper crown huh . :kiss: lol lol

decent copper George it wasn't a total loss today.congrats .

p.s. WTG on the memorial :tongue:

Dan

coinnut
02-20-2010, 07:36 PM
ya Coinnut leads me on a wild cellar chase through the woods to find a site that wasn't there :ticked: very nice man , i enjoyed cross country nature hike with all my gear . :rolleyes: :bop: probably part of a big diabolical plan :crazy: to wear me out enough so i'd be so tired to focus on finding coppers and also so i would suggest an area (because when i do that he seems to find the coins as of lately ) so he could reap the rewards . :bangahead01: :bangahead01: i see how it is , pulling no punches this year for that copper crown huh . :kiss: lol lol

decent copper George it wasn't a total loss today.congrats .

p.s. WTG on the memorial :tongue:

Dan

Hey I think you missed a couple of emoticons :cheesysmile: :ticked: rofl lol :poke: :bop: :bangahead01:
:confused: :crazy:.... :kiss: :smitten: rofl rofl. So where are you taking me next week? I need some coppas ;)

kurtnks
02-20-2010, 07:38 PM
I bet you guy's are comedian's while out hunting rofl You really need to take a video camera with you so we can get an idea what its like to go on a nature hike through the woods looking for that elusive cellar hole :grin:

coinnut
02-20-2010, 07:42 PM
I bet you guy's are comedian's while out hunting rofl You really need to take a video camera with you so we can get an idea what its like to go on a nature hike through the woods looking for that elusive cellar hole :grin:

You kiddin' We're boring when we go hunting....It's all business when them machines turn on :yes: The fun starts after we get home :rolleyes:

del
02-20-2010, 08:01 PM
You kiddin' We're boring when we go hunting....It's all business when them machines turn on :yes: The fun starts after we get home :rolleyes:

hey thats not true , it was fun when you found the ox knobs and memorials lol lol

angellionel
02-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Nice loot, George. I like that CT copper too. :) You guys picked a good day to go out - the weather was very pleasant today. :yes:

coinnut
02-20-2010, 08:09 PM
hey thats not true , it was fun when you found the ox knobs and memorials lol lol

You have a point there.... it is kinda fun in a sorta twisted way lol :confused:

del
02-20-2010, 09:14 PM

we would have to hire somebody to follow us around with that video-cam cause i'm not wasting anytime from detecting . ;) but some of the things that happen while were out detecting would be alot of laughs if they were caught on video ( tripping and falling down , wild animal encounters , close calls with vegitation and body parts , insect attacks and the ever so ridicule ,ribbing and busting each others stones ) lol rofl rofl

well heres my few finds for today , one more weekend without a copper and it will be an official copper drought for me :mad: George the small gold buttons have no backmark but have some writing on the front around the edge i can't make it all out as there pretty worn . :bangahead01: the shoe buckle guts ( chape and tongue ) is a small one as you can see by the size of the large dandy button (one with two holes ), it was at around 11 inches deep with about 2 to 3 inches of snow on top and still gave a very good signal on the ol'DFX .and the lantern top was only about 3 inches .

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-21-2010, 05:43 AM
nice day out dan. yeah i think G has alterior motives in that cross country hike he took you on. :huh:
join the drought club.looks like i'm going solo today crying01
both my hunting buddies sniffy & smiley(not to be confused with renn & stimpy) are both MIA :huh:
so...i guess i'll see what i can squeek out at my sites here :confused:

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-21-2010, 05:46 AM
Hey Dave, the digging is about the same. Soft most parts, roads and near the hole is anywhere from very hard to impossible. What? no comment on the Memorials lol

nah! no comments on your memorials.you work hard for them and hike your arse off to get them puppies.don't want to take away any glory from you anymore. thumbsup01

John M
02-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Well the temps were pretty good for the hike any way.Maybe George in trying out a new Olympic event....The New England Combined.First stage you take a useless hike through the woods wearing your friend down.Second stage when he is p***ed off at you,you then cleanup detecting one of his spots.

Congrats on the Ct. George it still looks to have plenty of details.
Buttons aren't the end of the world guys even though I know you two love them big Coppas as well as I do.Site bouncing does suck at times and isn't too productive but is a fact of relic hunting.

Dan have you ever given a thought of possibly rebuilding some buckles? I mean you must have some chapes and tongues that can fit inside some of the frames.
I know all too well how your situation works with George,I had the same with Kenny.You spend all the time mapping,all the time driving looking for the sites while they are nodding off in the passenger seat until you get to a site.After all the work you put in their dumb luck makes the find of the day.When after all the comments you make finally sets in they come up with a crappy site or nothing at all.I kinda kicked my useless copilot to the curb.....if you are willing to do the same I will be more then willing to join up.I will do work and not just ride a useless shotgun,just a thought.I could help and give George the old Tanya Harding treatment for you :beatdown: :beatdown: :beatdown: :beatdown: :beatdown:

lol lol lol rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :drool: :drool: :drool:

del
02-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Dan have you ever given a thought of possibly rebuilding some buckles? I mean you must have some chapes and tongues that can fit inside some of the frames.

hey John yeah i've got quite a collection of shoe parts now and have built a few whole ones from parts too . some of those ones i give away when i make up a display like the one i just gave to a teacher at the last club meeting , she going to use it as a class learning aid for the kids. so it went to a good home .

I could help and give George the old Tanya Harding treatment for you :beatdown: :beatdown: :beatdown: :beatdown: :beatdown:
lol lol lol rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :drool: :drool: :drool:

:-\ hhhhhmmmmmmm . since he's not pulling any punches in his quest for victory , i'll leave this option open for late in the copper race maybe as a last resort . ya ya thats the ticket. lol lol :tongue:

John M
02-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Very nice way to give back.I have only given one talk at a school but am willing to return at any time for another.Hearing about and reading about history can be boring but seeing and touching it has a good effect on the kids.All the history museums have all the relics behind glass and are untouchable,mine are all hands on.I don't know why we relic hunters get a bad rap with the archies.

sniffy
02-21-2010, 09:54 AM
nice day out dan. yeah i think G has alterior motives in that cross country hike he took you on. :huh:
join the drought club.looks like i'm going solo today crying01
both my hunting buddies sniffy & smiley(not to be confused with renn & stimpy) are both MIA :huh:
so...i guess i'll see what i can squeek out at my sites here :confused:
ren and stimpy?

bmattioli
02-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Nice Conn. Copper.. You guys had some nice weather, I had to work all day..

coinnut
02-21-2010, 03:19 PM
I know all too well how your situation works with George,I had the same with Kenny.You spend all the time mapping,all the time driving looking for the sites while they are nodding off in the passenger seat until you get to a site.After all the work you put in their dumb luck makes the find of the day.When after all the comments you make finally sets in they come up with a crappy site or nothing at all.I kinda kicked my useless copilot to the curb.....if you are willing to do the same I will be more then willing to join up.I will do work and not just ride a useless shotgun,just a thought.I could help and give George the old Tanya Harding treatment for you :beatdown: :beatdown: :beatdown: :beatdown: :beatdown:

Sound like someone needs a copper fix. rofl Easy John, the season is young and if you are a good little scout, you may get a copper rofl But be a good boy or you get this :bop: :bop:. Now, I'm sure Kenny is doing just fine without you mothering him lol Hope you get out soon and start finding some stuff too. It's getting warmer and lighter in the early hours. I'm just priming Dan for the next hunt. Sometimes he needs a little of this :poke: to get him back on track ;)

John M
02-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Ya I here ya George just having some fun.I know that the coppers are going to a good home no matter who digs them up.Your knees are safe with me around..no need to look over your shoulder.But no need to blame Google Earth.

coinnut
02-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Ya I here ya George just having some fun.I know that the coppers are going to a good home no matter who digs them up.Your knees are safe with me around..no need to look over your shoulder.But no need to blame Google Earth.

Yea, the use of Google Earth, was not Google Earth's fault, it was mine lol Stare at it a while and you can make out all kinds of stuff that really isn't there :rolleyes: Like a series of walls when in reality it's just swampland :-\ It a great tool but you can only guess at what you are looking at. Some of it is real and some of it is just patterns in the trees, no matter how strange that pattern is. Back to the drawing board. :confused:

KirkPA
02-22-2010, 12:28 PM
It is nice to see you and Dan pounding the Colonial dirt for goodies. :yes: I am living through you guys. :yes: We will be out soon, so I hope to be finding coppers ASAP. :cheesysmile:

You guys should get into some fields in your area. I bet most of them are not hunted. :drool:

Keep the passion high, George!

Kirk :crazy: (my mental state now)

del
02-22-2010, 01:44 PM
It is nice to see you and Dan pounding the Colonial dirt for goodies. :yes: I am living through you guys. :yes: We will be out soon, so I hope to be finding coppers ASAP. :cheesysmile:

You guys should get into some fields in your area. I bet most of them are not hunted. :drool:

Keep the passion high, George!

Kirk :crazy: (my mental state now)

thanks Kirk , ya we hit some fields as well but their the overgrown ones that haven't been plowed in over a 100 years or more and are full of grown trees now. most of the regular farm fields around will give ya some coins but most times the fertilizers kill those coppers bad and you find alot of pieces of things that are broken . hope you guys can get out soon cause i'll be looking forward to seeing what you all find .

Dan

tanacat
02-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Enjoyed reading your thread- you guys are a hoot! Glad ya'll got to get out and play lol