PDA

View Full Version : Way to get extra depth on the E-Trac?

earthmansurfer
01-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Markg over on another forum posted this:

The following is an example of the Etrac making a thunk sound instead of a regular high tone on a coin. This thunk sound is only noticeable when the target is getting close to the maximum detection distance from the coil. Even though this example is replicated in an air test, it sounds the same on a deep target in the ground. As the distance is shortened the sounds become sharper, clearer and more defined. Pay attention to the depth meter in relations to the sounds.

Etrac sounds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRmgWLqWLSU&feature=player_embedded#)

Now, not everyone has experienced this on targets at the end of the detection depth spectrum. I have seen this thunk on some deeper targets (8) and gotten a little bit of it on video. But I got a good signal after the E-Trac locked on.

Now on another forum Markg posted this:

Update:

Changing to pitch hold changes everything I posted this week.
The thunking has completely vanished regardless of distance from the coil or in the ground. Actually I believe I've gained from 1/2 to 1 inch more depth with pitch hold.
Please bear in mind, all other settings remaining the same, change from either normal, smooth or long to pitch hold and the thunk sound now is a consistent high tone (if you are in 4 tone) regardless of depth or distance from the coil.

Now, I know I've seen it mentioned somewhere (Maybe in Andy's book) that Pitch Hold is especially nice for deeper targets. Perhaps Mark is on to something here. I'm going to play with it if I come across any deeper targets or better yet start with it and then check back to normal and see if a fringe targets starts to thunk where as was good sounding in Pitch Hold.

So, two points here: Thunking and Pitch Hold

Something for us to think about and investigate,
Albert

ps - Have any of you guys been ignoring that thunking on deep targets? :->

Epi-hunter
01-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Hi EMS,

I have enjoyed your posts. :)

I am an E-Trac user and have a v3i too. I will not profess to ever be able to compare them, as I have put many more hours on the E-Trac than the v3i. I think the v3i is better on small gold but I grab the E-Trac when I want to find deep silver coins... it's just easier and fits better for me. Not to say that the v3i cannot find deep coins, as I know many people who successfully do so.

The 'thunk' you describe I have heard many times. To me it's more of a high tone (maybe a high blip?) though. It is absolutely a 'dig' tone.

I tried pitch hold awhile ago but have not in awhile. I may try it again after reading your post.

I have variability set at 29 so I like a lot of tones. Otherwise I think our settings are similar (trash density high, deep on, etc). I tend to use manual sensitivity and push it to the limit, instead of using auto +3. Sometimes auto +3 will give me around 18, while I find I can still use a manual sensitivity of 28.

CyberSage
01-01-2012, 07:52 PM
This is very interesting. I have noticed the thunking hits occasionally on deeper targets, but never as repeatable as in the video however. Time to air test some targets I guess. This is a an easy change to make and try over a target in the field. As always, thanks for sharing this EMS!

DirtFisher
01-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Great video. I had that happen once or twice today but walked away. I'll dig next time - thanks! My E-Trac sidetracked my gold hunting today with a flutey sound that turned out to be a 1936 quarter!