PDA

View Full Version : What a way to start the New Year!

RobW
01-03-2012, 10:29 AM
First of all I cannot believe that I'm still detecting in New England in January...but I sure ain't complaining...but I think my wife is! lol

So Al and I both got some new goodies for the hobby for Xmas..and I'm glad I didn't have to wait 4 months to try out my new Killer Bee headphones <:...What an improvement, the design is awsome on them.

On Sunday the 1st...we started at an old park, but I think our buddy Fill was there first. We moved on, we were going to be heading out of town and Al said he forgot his batteries, so we needed to go back to his house. On the way there, we decided to hit a spot that we both drive by everyday, but have never hit. We hit a small area, On my first pass down, I get a nice hit...and out pops this awsome looking ring :shocked03:... I run over and show Al....(I'm not one to contain myself), I get to the fence and make a turn up the fence line...a few wheats come out, then BAM...my first silver of the year a 44 Merc :loveit:...I decide to grid the area, making my way back down.. Al is getting close, so I decide when I apprach him, I'll show him the merc....then a few feet away, I get a wheat signal, I mark it with my shovel, take a few steps and show Al the Merc, go back to retreive the wheat...but to my surprise.....an 1894 Barber dime <: First day of the New Year and already on the Board with Silver happydance02 :happydance01: We hit another park in another town...just clad....but Al forgot to mention his Bi-Centineal half he got there...while it's not silver...halves are rare finds. thumbsup01

On Monday, the 2nd, we went up into the hills, I wanted to hit a spot we had hit before, but it was a bit early to knock on the door so we drove until we found an area that looked promising. It was cold on the mountain, wind blowwing through your bones :frozen:...but the ground wasn't frozen, so we were in business. Wasn't getting anything promising, lots of EMI, kept having to cancel out. Finally it started paying off, managed a few wheats, then an iffy signal, that would bounce to 47 on the E-trac. Dug down...and there she was.....my first Large Cent of the year... :smitten: 1817! We went back to the old house, they were there, but didn't answer any of the doors I was knocking on. So we left to find another place. Al secured us permisssion for a large field. We weren't in it for 10 min, and I see Al back at the car. I made my way back and he said he had thrown his back out and had to go home....old man :teasing:.....

We'll, I wasn't quite ready to go home, so I hit the small area again that we had hit the day before, this time I changed my direction of my previous grid. I definatly pays off....a few more wheats (one wrapped in gum >:/) and another 1944 Merc <:

Two days into the new year, 1 barber dime, 2 Mercs and a Large Cent on the books for the year...and some wheats. Not bad at all. Oh and in cleaning the ring......MADE IN HONG KONG.... >:# >{

Jason in Enid
01-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Those are some great finds froma site you've been ignoring! Bummer about the ring, but congrats on the silvers!! |:cheering:

CODY
01-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Congrats on the 2012 Silver! :perfect10:

aloldstuff
01-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Well looky who's here. Nice finds Rob, you are killing me. Looks like this weekend the weather is going to be good and I don't have to work.

tanacat
01-03-2012, 12:32 PM
:clapping: :frozen: :clapping: :frozen: |:confused:) congrats on your finds! I could be out there right now but I think the windchill is about 9 degrees lol

Reading your post makes me feel like heading out anyway rofl

angellionel
01-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I have icicles building up just from the thought of detecting on a very cold and windy day. lol But you did quite well there Rob. thumbsup01 You do need to work on focusing that camera though. :poke: ;) Let's hope the ground does not freeze anytime soon. You might just have a streak going. thumbsup01

jkress
01-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Man... awesome finds Rob. :drool: :clapping:
Hard to pick a favorite from this post.
We had three weeks of bonus hunting here in Iowa this year. Not going to find that happen very often. Glad to hear you had
an extended season too.
Congrats.

RobW
01-04-2012, 10:14 AM
I have icicles building up just from the thought of detecting on a very cold and windy day. lol

Thank you Angel, but if memory serves me right.....50 is too cold for you :frozen:..... lol

angellionel
01-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Thank you Angel, but if memory serves me right.....50 is too cold for you :frozen:..... lol

lol lol

Yeah, my delicate skin is too sensitive to the chilly air. rofl But hey, I will brave it once in a while. lol