PDA

View Full Version : Design Flaw?

toehead
02-21-2010, 10:56 AM
This is for all the Spectra and E series owners or past owners. Do you feel that the fact that White's sells a decal for covering the speaker holes as an admission that there may be a better design or location for the speaker holes? And do you feel they could of come up with a better color than white, kinda stands out like a sore thumb.
Just so everyone knows I wouldn't sell mine because of it nor would I steer anyone away from White's products.
If I weren't snowbound right now I probably wouldn't be dwelling on something like this. Boredom makes one do strange things.

CyberSage
02-21-2010, 11:07 AM
I have often wondered why they continue to put the speaker in the same location. I typically don't worry about covering it up. I suppose I should, but it seems very easy to clean out. Wide Black electrical tape cut to size would be a good alternative. With the holes the way they are, whites could come with a molded plastic cover that snaps on may be. Arm cuff padding is another issue. It has always been made of the same lightweight foam that breaks up very quickly. I go through a set of pads every year. I recently picked up a set of sheep's wool pads that I keep on the DFX. These things look like they will last forever. My local dealer has them made up I think.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

del
02-21-2010, 12:02 PM
having one ( outside speaker) is still a good idea for those that don't wanna use headphones and it could be in a worse spot like the mine labs ( back of the control box facing away from the operator ) :yes:

coinnut
02-21-2010, 03:07 PM
I've never had an issue with any of my Whites speaker location, and after one of my hunts, my machine needs a bath real bad lol. I've had them in the rain, mud and snow and never gave it a thought. I was always more worried about the display. As for my Minelab (E Trac), Del has it right. That speaker location couldn't be any worse lol. Everyone else can hear you coming a mile away, but I can hardley hear it. Bad design, probably the only place left to put it after everything else was stuffed in there :rolleyes:

delta196
02-22-2010, 04:19 PM
There is a post on one of the forums somewhere with pictures, the speaker is completly sealed and pretty much waterproof so I wouldn't worry to much.

Leon
02-22-2010, 04:57 PM
I personally don't think much of the speaker position.....But the arm rest pads are another issue.....I also use the wool pads and love using them.....I was unable to get them anymore, so I bought the self adhesive material and fabricated my own. You can get the material with the adhesive back on line for about $12.00 a yard. And a 3ft by 3ft square makes alot of pads.

Ill Digger
02-22-2010, 09:43 PM
I agree, the speaker could be located some place better than that.
I can here dirt inside the control box in my DFX!
I wanted to take it apart to get it out of there.
But I'm not sure if i'll do more damage than good.
Then I want to cover it up since I use headphones all the time.
HH :grin:

coinnut
02-22-2010, 09:50 PM
lol lol I still hear the dirt that's trapped somewhere in my DFX. But I never had an issue with dirt or moisture and the speaker. Covering it up if you use headphones, is not a bad idea. But so far, it's been indestructible :yes:

toehead
02-23-2010, 06:40 AM
No problems with the speaker holes on mine either. Just wondering if White's was in a sense admitting that this was a design flaw as they sell decals to cover them up on their website. On the other hand the design hasn't changed with the v3 so I guess the answer to my question is no.

Leon
02-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Speaker on top so sound travels in direction of the user :twirlingeyes:

Slump-Shooter
03-03-2010, 08:28 AM
I would have to agree, the speaker is in the right place. The speaker is made of a material that moisture will not hurt it... If the speaker was sealed to the case (and it maybe) and the holes where only over the speaker it self, then there would be no sand or water getting into the electronics. I have never heard of anyone having an issue due to speaker location. I also don't know anyone that swings in the rain...

rcasio44
04-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Water won't bother the speaker and if stuff gets into the holes it can't get into the electronics. It would be trapped between the speaker and the case. IMHO, the stickers are left over from the days before Mylar speakers like on my old 6000. Some old dogs just can't learn new tricks and want the stickers. Rob