PDA

View Full Version : v rated coil

pointer80
02-21-2010, 12:01 PM
would a coil bought in june 2008 be a v rated coil? if not what do you have to do to run it on a v3.

xzlr8n
02-21-2010, 01:11 PM
I think a lot of this has been asked and answered in the V3/Vision thread, I would look thru that whole thread for useful info.. thumbsup01

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=49.0

Lowjiber
02-21-2010, 02:19 PM
would a coil bought in june 2008 be a v rated coil? if not what do you have to do to run it on a v3.

A coil built in 2008 is more than likely not V rated. The V coils first appeared with the introduction of the V3 in early '09.

It's easy to check for a V rating though. All such coils have the letter V on the tang where the serial number is located. (Where the shaft bolt attaches the coil to the lower shaft)

However, you can run any coil that's not V rated on the V3 with a few caveats...

The coil must be compatible with a DFX or MXT.
Do not even try to turn Tx Boost on. The machine will overload.
I have an older 4x6 Shooter that was built in '07 and thus not V rated. However, it runs fine on the V3.

coinnut
02-21-2010, 02:59 PM

Hey, I believe there should be a serial number stamped on the side of the coil (the ears? lol) where the bolt goes through. It should say V and then probably the size of the coil. Mine says V 6 (for the 6 (5.3) coil. If it doesn't say V then it may not be V rated. To use an unrated V coil, you need to do nothing. It will work, but you may not get the full benifits from it. Jack (Cybersage) knows more about the V3 and its coils. I'm sure he'll chime in when he reads this or you can PM him.

CyberSage
02-21-2010, 03:46 PM
The non V rated coil is fully compatible in the 2.5kHz and 7.5kHz single frequency modes. The VDI readout will be skewed in the 22.5kHz Frequency modes. It will read higher than it should. This amount depends on the coil you are using. In 3 frequency modes you should allow for the higher readout by adjusting your accept range up for the desired target. A highly conductive target will even wrap to the negative side -95 to -93 at depth. If your ground VDI falls in this range you would do better with a V rated coil. If your ground VDI is higher than this you can adjust VDI response from the -95 to -93 range to elicit a good tone. Higher mineralization strength and low filters will make for a noisy situation as well. I love the SEF Butterfly coil on the V3 and it is not V rated. It still works well however. Hope this helps.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

pointer80
02-21-2010, 05:42 PM
thanks for the info guys

Slump-Shooter
03-03-2010, 08:36 AM
I recently vetted a White 8x14 1400 DD that ended up not being V rated. According to my correspondence with White, they say that they did not start V rating all of their coils till after October of 2008. There are only a few coils that are V rated. The 1400 8x14 DD is not one of them and will not be V rated, ever. White suggest using the 10&quot:grin:2 lighter and performs same or better.

CyberSage
03-03-2010, 02:13 PM
For clarification, All coils made by Whites electronics for the MXT and DFX are now V-Rated with the exception of the 1400 DD. To date only Whites has manufactured a V-Rated coil. I would really like to see an effort made by Detech to come out with an SEF that is properly nulled for the V3.