PDA

View Full Version : Barbers, Indian Head + more on my first hunt of 2012 - UPDATE

Tony Two-Cent
01-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Well, it was just too nice here in central Illinois not to go metal detecting today. Sunny and in the 40s. So, I headed back to a park that DaddyDigger and I discovered on New Years Eve. This park was established in the 1850s and it is huge, over 100 acres! We discovered this park late in the day last Saturday so we didn't get to hunt it for a long time, but we found just enough to tell us that there were old coins to be found.

I got there at about 8:00 this morning and it was still a bit chilly but the sun felt good. My first find of 2012 was a 1907-D Barber Dime! I ended up with three Barber Dimes today in the first hour. They were all within a 25 foot radius of each other.

I also got an 1898 Indian Head Cent, an 1899 V-Nickel, and four wheat cents including a 1909 (No VDB though) and some clad.

It was a nice first hunt of the year. I was happy to get three coins from the 1800s. This park is old and huge and I've only scratched the surface. There is a LOT of area yet to explore. DaddyDigger is going to come up tomorrow and we're going to hit it again.

Here are my finds for the day:

And here are the keepers:

The Indian Head is toasted but at least the date is clear:

1909 Wheat Cent:

1899 V Nickel:

The Barber Dimes were much nicer than the ones I found in the cow pasture. :yes:

That's it! Thanks for looking! Hopefully me and Dave will have more finds to show tomorrow!

aloldstuff
01-07-2012, 07:32 PM
WTG Tony, silvers, IH, V, wheats and you get to go back tomorrow. Those Barbers look in great shape. All last year I tried for a Barber dime and you get three in one hunt. Rob and I went out today, beautiful weather but the ground was frozen. Looks like we are done for the year. Congrats and will be waiting for your next post.

skribnodsister
01-07-2012, 07:39 PM
:wow: Tony, nice way to begin the new year! Hope this weather holds up. Sweet looking barbers! Congrats |:cheering:

randy
01-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Sweet hunt :perfect10: Those barbers are all in decent shape too :smitten: Can't say that for that IH :poke: Good luck with that site, should keep you busy for quite some time.

jkress
01-07-2012, 08:36 PM
<: Awesome hunt Tony. :clapping:
Sounds like my kind of park. :drool: It's amazing all three Barbers are almost in identical shape... beautiful. :smitten:
They couldn't have been in circulation for too long before dropped.
Congrats and best of luck tomorrow.

Epi-hunter
01-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Really nice Tony! :perfect10: :perfect10: I love those barbers!!!!

I wish I could find a park that old :crying02:

Let's keep fingers crossed for another couple of weeks of good weather :happydance01:

starman2
01-07-2012, 09:56 PM
:omg: WOW!! Those are some great finds. I don't think people in Michigan, had any money in the 1800's. I'm going to have to move to another state. :perfect10: WTG!!

angellionel
01-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Beautiful Barber dimes Tony! It sounds like you guys may be pulling a good amount of keepers from that park. :clapping: Show it no mercy. lol

milco
01-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Fantastic hunt Tony! Those are some great finds, sounds like you and DD have a spot to keep you busy all year long!

RaZR
01-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Holy Moly Tony!!!! Three barbers! :envious:
That park looks like the kinda place you're gonna find that elusive seated coin.
I just know it! Anyplace that has that many good coins is gonna be a honey hole.
Good luck tomorrow to the both of you.

RaZR
01-07-2012, 10:03 PM
:omg: WOW!! Those are some great finds. I don't think people in Michigan, had any money in the 1800's. I'm going to have to move to another state. :perfect10: WTG!!

Sure they did! I get mine from the Michigan parks. :yes:

Tony Two-Cent
01-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Me and DaddyDigger hit the park hard today. Unfortunately I had to endure the SDHOS, no silver found it's way under my coil today. I did manage another Indian Head (1906), a Buffalo Nickel (1934) and 15 Wheat Cents including another 1909.

Dave had a better day, he had several Indian Heads, a V Nickel, a Buffalo and a Barber Dime, plus lots of wheats.

There is still a vast area of this park yet to explore, there has to be a lot more there.

Today's finds:

And the keepers:

The Indian Head was not quite as toasted as the one from yesterday:

And my first Buffalo Nickel of the year:

POKIE73
01-08-2012, 08:55 PM
them are some nice looking dimes i have read your posts and now it just hit me i used to deliver copper rod to a place in monticello it was called general cable i knew i had heard the name of your town somwhere it is a nice area had no idea all the older places for coins though good find and good hunting dennis

Full Metal Digger
01-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Good finds Tony! Those barbers all look amazing. I can see liberty on all three of them. The barber I found today looks just like yours, full liberty. The V nickel had no corrosion and cleaned up real nice. One of the IHs really surprised me. I washed the crud off and the coin was still copper colored with just a little bit of green in the crevices! I never seen anything like it in a dug IH before. BTW, Thanks for buying my lunch when I discovered I had left my wallet back in my car! Next time lets get steaks and I'm buying! Dave.

Ill Digger
01-09-2012, 01:25 AM
Your off and runnin' here in 2012 Tony! Wow!
Can you believe this weather? January 9th and we're still able to dig here in the mid-west?
Weird! But we'll take it huh?! :yes: lol
Keep swinging as long as you can!
Congrats! :grin:

Bell-Two
01-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Good job there Tony with those two hunts, sounds like a great spot and I am sure you and Dave will extract a lot more goodies.