PDA

View Full Version : first hunt of 2012

del
01-07-2012, 10:12 PM
metal detecting in January is usually for the die-hard insane :crazy: lol lol but today was a real enjoyment as temps were hovering around 50 degrees , almost like an early fall day . G and i hit a cellar so far off the beaten track today that it was scarey :shocked04:stretcher: it wasn't on any maps and so far off any roads that there were no signs that it may have been there at all . when we did find it from its looks and area i was sure we were gonna finds some nice stuff.
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/ballbuttonsite3.jpg

it was a huge center chimney colonial all built on-grade no cellar , in the first picture you can see the huge square front door step on the left (it was about 3 1/2 feet x 3 1/2 in size and weighed more than an engine block :wow:)

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/ballbuttonsite2.jpg

heres the back door step with my gear on it for a size comparison
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/ballbuttonsite.jpg

but needles to say it was pounded to death :crying02: :girlcry: crying01 George couldn't believe how quiet this place was i didn't even dig a shotgun shell , we find more on a busy road side site . :confused: :confused: after half the day i only pulled a few buttons , pewter piece and a shoe buckle part ( chape & tongue) so with our spirits crushed and just when i wasn't feeling any worse George takes me on a death-march through the woods . :hammer: :hammer: ya G thats just what i needed (where's the putting the gun into my mouth emoticon lol rofl rofl ) well after some hiking his little gps found the spot , another nice looking old colonial way out in the middle of no-where .
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/Gsmillsite.jpg

we only hit it for a few hours and it had tons of swingable area and a mill site just down the hill , it seemed to be detected pretty hard but i know no one could cover that much area . i did get about four more buttons , it was a much needed hunt and very enjoyable and any finds at this time of year are good ones .
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2012%20finds/jan7thfinds.jpg

hey thanks for listening.

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-07-2012, 11:22 PM
beautiful lookin sites! too bad somebody beat ya to them :-\ :thumbsdown:
was a gorgeous day to say the least

Ill Digger
01-07-2012, 11:24 PM
The locations look just dreamy Dan! :daydream: :drool: They just scream LC's, Reals, and Dandy buttons galore :confused:
Like you said any hunt this time of year is a bonus! And you even got yourself a couple of keepers too! thumbsup01
It's not all bad! :dontknow:
Congrats! :grin:

pulltabsteve
01-08-2012, 06:29 AM
Sweet looking spots Dan! It sure was great weather for Jan 7th! Any ticks around? Its been so warm we still get some of those nasty creatures on us when we get into the woods down here.
The front and back steps are pretty impressive ;) Glad that you and G got out to swing the coils for a few hours. Love the pics!! |:cheering: Cool buttons and buckle :clapping:

sniffy
01-08-2012, 09:20 AM
way to go fellas! :perfect10: I've been running into the same thing lately....beautiful sites that are very QUIET!

milco
01-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Nice lookin's spots there, congrats on the finds!

Merc
01-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Still a nice hunt Dan. I like the ball button i dug one just like at north Rd.

jkress
01-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Awesome pictures Dan!! :clapping: I can't help but stare at them and imagine the busy life that went on there so long ago. :daydream: :smitten:

As I was reading your trek in... I thought I was going to see the mother load of colonial copper, silver and relics. :-> Hard to believe it
was hunted so hard before the two of you got there.

Must be a real treat standing on such old occupied ground. :daydream: You pulled out some nice keepers though. Hope George did too. :yes:

Congrats on the keepers and getting out. Gotta love this weather we are having in January. <:

fsa46
01-09-2012, 05:50 AM
Dan, It's nice to see you and George getting out :yes: and posting again thumbsup01...you've been quite.

When you hit a spot like that and it isn't even on a map, but has been hit hard :-\ , brings the realization that there isn't any, or at least many, virgin spots left. crying01

aloldstuff
01-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Del, don't the other detectorist in your area check in with you and G to ask permission if they can hunt those cellar holes:huh::huh:thinkingabout:LOL. It sure is a treat to be able to get out in January though. Congrats on the buttons and buckle.

RobW
01-09-2012, 02:08 PM
metal detecting in January is usually for the die-hard insane :crazy: lol lol

Wait.....isn't that you and George anyways? :confused:

Looks like ya'll got some good keepers.......and a nice work out.

What George didn't tell you was that there were roads that came right up to where those sites were, he was just working on his new years resolution to lose some weight and work out more lol

SeabeeRon
01-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Beautiful area you have to enjoy the hobby!! :smitten: :drool: |:cheering:

OxShoeDrew
01-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Dan, do some of the really old sites, like late 1600, early 1700s quiet down with age? Can the accumulation of debris move objects out of MD reach at super old places? :dontknow:
My neighbor has a hole that was abandoned by 1740 and is very quite.

del
01-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Dan, do some of the really old sites, like late 1600, early 1700s quiet down with age? Can the accumulation of debris move objects out of MD reach at super old places? :dontknow:
My neighbor has a hole that was abandoned by 1740 and is very quite.

yes Drew , most sites that are abandon before the 1830's to 1840's are pretty quiet for many reasons . at around that time a great deal of industry was flourishing and metal things and items were being mass produced and started to be more affordable. cellar sites abandoned earlier than 1800 are extrememly quiet (unless there was more modern dumping going on) because iron items like tools and even nails were a pricey commodity .

Dan

Toadman
01-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Great hunt for sure ! |:cheering: |:cheering: |:cheering:

wild willy
01-13-2012, 05:16 AM
nice post bud! some day i would like to find a virgin cellar hole. just once thats all i ask. i probley have a better chance hitting megabucks. have you and the boys ever found one? willy

del
01-14-2012, 03:26 AM
nice post bud! some day i would like to find a virgin cellar hole. just once thats all i ask. i probley have a better chance hitting megabucks. have you and the boys ever found one? willy

hey Willy , i'm pretty sure i've only found 2 sites that i thought might have been virgin in the twelve years of detecting cellar holes .

Dan

tanacat
01-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Awesome pictures Dan!! :clapping: I can't help but stare at them and imagine the busy life that went on there so long ago. :daydream: :smitten:

Yeah, what Joe said... :shocked04:stretcher: :shocked04:stretcher: :shocked04:stretcher: I am so envious of all your cellar hole hunts :envious: And am very glad that you share your adventures and finds on here, great pics once again... nice buttons- the big round spherical one is neat I've never found one like that.

That big door step and the lower step covered in moss are awesome!!! If only you could find an old pic of what it looked like back in the day. Of course cameras weren't even near being invented back then were they? :rolleyes: Perhaps a painting...

PI JOE
01-16-2012, 11:17 AM
You and some of the other guys I know are hardcore Relic hunters! :yes: Relic hunting is a lot harder then beach hunting for sure! I always tell Dave that I hate hunting the woods because of the ticks....I hate them! lol Great pixs and finds Dan! |:cheering:

Fire Fighter 43
01-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Nice finds and that place looks very peaceful. Good luck on your return trips.