PDA

View Full Version : E Trac - locking the shaft

coinnut
02-21-2010, 07:04 PM
I don't know if anyone has had this issue with the locking mechanism on the E Trac, but the top lock that is on the unit has decided to not keep the shafts secured to the unit itself :ticked: This is also where the internal connection is made. You don't want that part slipping out when you detect lol So being the simple guy I am :grin:, I duct taped it....what, doesn't duct tape fix everything?? Well it worked until last hunt and I spent most of my time putting the shaft back in with every other swing rofl So I found a quick, good way to fix it since I can't get myself to send it in, cause I'd miss it dearly :embarrassed: I took some self adhesive aluminum tape (real aluminum not plastic) like you tape up duct work with or pellet stove pipes and folded over a small piece. I opened up the cam lock and put it inside to give it extra the thickness it was lacking. No the cam pushes the aluminum shim against the plastic part that hits the shaft. Now it is tight and does not move. Just a quick fix if you ever need it.

Epi-hunter
02-21-2010, 07:11 PM
I have that problem. Sounds like a good fix... I will have to try it.

Jason in Enid
02-22-2010, 01:45 PM
I had heard this was a problem with the older units, but was supposed to be fixed on the E-Trac. I guess I will have to keep a watch on mine.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in my head for future reference.

adkelley
03-23-2010, 12:39 AM
A detecting buddy of mine is having the same problem with his as well. There is a metal plate attached to a red plastic piece that keeps the shaft locked tight. That metal plate can fall off and cause the shaft to become loose when locked. If you have an X-1 probe and didn't send in the upper shaft, then you can use its red plastic piece as a replacement. Long term, you'll likely have to get a couple directly from Minelab.

-Alex

hoser
03-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Thanks for this. So far I haven't had this happen to me, but if it does I'll use this to correct the problem. After reading this I gently pulled on the upper shaft and it was nice and tight. WHEW!

Eagle 1
04-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Yes That metal plate fall out off of mine last week on the lower part of the upper shaft. The lower shaft become loose and would not lock. I used a rolled up peace of paper works great. Hold that lower shaft from sliding down. I called minelab and they are sending me a new upper shaft.

Eagle 1

Epi-hunter
07-02-2010, 06:07 PM
I was reading back through this and I think my problem may be different than what everyone else is describing. Mine comes apart right below the display. I will be swinging along and suddenly everything below the display disconnects. Is that what you are talking about George?

coinnut
07-02-2010, 06:42 PM
I was reading back through this and I think my problem may be different than what everyone else is describing. Mine comes apart right below the display. I will be swinging along and suddenly everything below the display disconnects. Is that what you are talking about George?

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. It just slides out and you don't know it until it falls off and starts wobbling all over lol I've got mine wedged and taped and it doesn't hold for very long. I would have put a pin through it but the cable is in there :shocked04: When Minelab comes out with the ET II rofl I will send mine in and have it fixed.

bob_e99
04-29-2012, 07:48 AM
If you're old enough to remember Rowan and Martin Laugh-In, verrry interesting!

This just started happening to my e- trac and it was nice to find this previously post about the issue. Thank you for a quick fix and saving me the need to send in my detector for repairs. I have to admit is was a real pain trying to detect with the shaft sliding out. :hairpulling:

Bob

Tony Two-Cent
04-29-2012, 08:13 AM
I just now saw this thread. This problem must only occur with older E-Tracs. I bought mine in March of 2011 and I've never experienced this problem.

bob_e99
04-29-2012, 02:46 PM
I just now saw this thread. This problem must only occur with older E-Tracs. I bought mine in March of 2011 and I've never experienced this problem.

Tony,

It has not been quite a year since I purchased my E-trac but have used it probably 90% of those days (one of the benefits of being retired).

05/01/2012 - I was just checking my records and I purchased the unit on July 30, 2011 so it's not even close to a year.

Bob

Bell-Two
04-30-2012, 07:38 AM
It still happens occasionally with the newer units a friend of mine E-Trac shaft lock did it at a club hunt I took some electrical tape and wrapped it a couple of times and she used it that way for the longest time until I convinced her to contact Minelab and they sent out a new red block right away and she was able to fix it herself with no problem.

bob_e99
04-30-2012, 11:19 AM
It still happens occasionally with the newer units a friend of mine E-Trac shaft lock did it at a club hunt I took some electrical tape and wrapped it a couple of times and she used it that way for the longest time until I convinced her to contact Minelab and they sent out a new red block right away and she was able to fix it herself with no problem.

This is excellent information. I will contact them and hopefully can get one to fix my unit. Thank you for posting this.

Bob