PDA

View Full Version : 8-hr Hunt with Tony Two-Cent (& he bought me lunch!)

Full Metal Digger
01-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Hey Diggers,

Yesterday was unseasonably warm for January in Illinois (above freezing) and I made the 2-hour drive up to meet Tony for an all-day hunt at our new spot. This park is quite old and large and the coins are few and far between. This is my second time hunting this park and I notice there are predominantly two distinct layers of coins. The first layer is the clad layer and it is from the surface to about 2 inches deep. The second layer is the old coin layer and it ranges from 7 to 10 inches deep. And then there is the occasional coin in between (that was missed by previous MDers).

I started in one corner of the park and got my first indian head penny signal after about 30 minutes of swinging. On my e-trac it sounded just like a modern zinc penny but since this target was at 7 inches deep, I suspected it was something better! A short time later, I got the same signal at 8 inches and pulled out two very crusty indian head pennies. I ended up with 6 IH pennies for the day. As I write this, I realize that is the most I have ever found in one hunt.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/MD%20FInds%202012/IMG_0603.jpg

I got a faint nickel signal that was bouncing 13-12 to 15-12 and dug a nice buffalo nickel from about 7 inches deep. I was surprised to see the soil next the coin was discolored a bright green color but the coin was orange. That was kind of odd.

I decided to swing a bit out in the baseball field and after about an hour got a nice 12-13 at 5 inches deep. I was sure it was a nickel but I did not expect it to be a V nickel! Whoever missed that must have been MDing with pulltabs discriminated out because it was an easy target to find.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/MD%20FInds%202012/IMG_0605-1.jpg

I worked my way over towards two GIANT Sycamore trees. I kid you not, the diameter of the trunks of these trees is easily 6 feet! I was mindlessly swinging along and got a sudden high pitch that reminded me of the signal I get with silver coins. I looked down at the display and was getting a bouncy 13-45 to 14-46 at 8 inches deep. I thought this has got to be silver to be that high-pitched and that deep. I dug down about 6 inches and stuck my probe in the hole. I got a weak signal at one side. I dug another inch and re-probed. The signal was stronger this time. I dug another inch and the probe was screaming at me. I scooped out one more handful of dirt, stuck the probe back in and heard........silence. It's out of the hole! (Bill Murray voice) I probed the dirt pile and got a hit on a ball of dirt. Looking closely, I could see the rim of a silver dime. I broke the clod apart and was pleased to see a Barber dime! My first silver for 2012.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/MD%20FInds%202012/IMG_0607-1.jpg

For the day I got $3.95 in clad coins and a nice assortment of wheaties. I also found a silver-plated religious medallion. Tony also pulled a bunch of nice oldies (see his post) AND he bought me lunch! What a guy! I look forward to hitting that park again. Thanks for looking and best wishes to everyone, Dave.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/MD%20FInds%202012/IMG_0602.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/MD%20FInds%202012/IMG_0610.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/MD%20FInds%202012/IMG_0611.jpg

Bell-Two
01-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Wow what a start for you for a another fabulous year, a little bit of everything there Dave. Did you video the hunt?

AmxFred
01-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Very nice finds! |:cheering:

aloldstuff
01-09-2012, 02:05 PM
DD, what a great hunt and you had that park figured out. Nice pile of IH's, beautiful Barber, V, Buffalo. I'd say a very well rounded hunt and you got a free lunch out of the deal.

RobW
01-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Great park! I appreciate the E-Trac readings in your post. Those are some great finds for 1 day. Very nice :clapping:

Viking
01-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Great finds, and I appreciate the detailed descriptions! |:cheering:

What kind of sensitivity numbers were you using?

RaZR
01-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Six IH's Daaaaaaaayyyyyym! And 100 year old silver (just). Looks like youz guys had a great day. Keep on hitting around those trees the silver gets caught in the roots and pushed around as the roots grow.

GL/HH

JTGOLD
01-09-2012, 05:12 PM
very nice looking dime and that was a great hunt,wtg.

Tony Two-Cent
01-09-2012, 09:11 PM
I buy the guy lunch and what's he do? Finds more old coins than me! That's gratitude for ya! >:/ lol

Oh well, at least I had Saturday's hunt to keep me from feeling too bad. :twirlingeyes:

Congrats on the finds, Dave! That 1903 Indian Head looks great! Never saw one that looked that good out of Illinois soil!

milco
01-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Excellent finds and lunch to boot, nice!

Ill Digger
01-10-2012, 01:58 AM
Man! What a deal! A day detecting with some sweet finds and a free lunch to boot!
I tell ya... that Tony's alright! I mean look at all the sweet targets he left for ya to find! ;) lol

I buy the guy lunch and what's he do? Finds more old coins than me! That's gratitude for ya! >:/ lol
That sure was nice of ya Tony! ;) lol
I can't wait till we get a chance to meet up here soon Dave.
Sweet, sweet hunt my man! :yes: thumbsup01
Congrats! :grin:

CODY
01-10-2012, 04:06 AM
:wow: That is some sweet finds. :perfect10: Congrats on the first silver of the year. |:cheering: Great pic's.

serega
01-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Hi friend) :beerbuddy:
Congratulations on your first silver in 2012
That you had a good hunt with our friend Tony
Perhaps it was fun hunting. |:cheering:
Guys ... When Ukraine will end coins (the ground) I'm coming to visit you and I will ry to you - your coins) and Tony will buy me dinner)
And I'll bring you a gift and vodka (real) :beerbuddy:

ps. True Hey Tony 2 cents? Buy me lunch :->
Lunch + vodka = happy hunting rofl

Full Metal Digger
01-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Hi friend) :beerbuddy:
Congratulations on your first silver in 2012
That you had a good hunt with our friend Tony
Perhaps it was fun hunting. |:cheering:
Guys ... When Ukraine will end coins (the ground) I'm coming to visit you and I will ry to you - your coins) and Tony will buy me dinner)
And I'll bring you a gift and vodka (real) :beerbuddy:

ps. True Hey Tony 2 cents? Buy me lunch :->
Lunch + vodka = happy hunting rofl

Sounds good friend! Tony should buy us each a BIG steak dinner with a baked potato! :beerbuddy:

serega
01-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Sounds good friend! Tony should buy us each a BIG steak dinner with a baked potato! :beerbuddy:

BIG steak !BIG steak ! Yes yes yes ! :clapping:

Tony Two-Cent
01-10-2012, 09:44 PM
You have my guarantee, Serge, if you come all the way from the Ukraine to America to hunt with me, I will buy you a BIG steak dinner!

(Dave gets Slim Jims and Yoo-Hoo from the convenience store.)

jkress
01-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Ah man!!! That's a sweet hunt DD. <:
Love all those IH's. :smitten:
Congrats.