PDA

View Full Version : On a Wicked Great Roll !!! Liberty Cap LC!

RobW
01-09-2012, 01:55 PM
I really don't have the time, but if I don't get this posted, Al will let me have it! :bop:

We tried getting out Saturday morning, but the ground was still frozen an we couldn't get into it. Had we waited till afternoon, we would have been fine...but he had to take his wife to the movies :->, and I had to spend some time with my family too.

So Sunday morning wasn't as cold, so I went out and did a few shovel tests in the yard to make sure we could dig....sure enough...we were in business.

We headed out. We first hit a new park, surrounded by 1700s houses....nothing but clad. We moved onto an old farm in CT. Al secured us Permission, I didn't get 4 swings into the hunt and found an 1881 Indian ( I had a preminition I was going to get an Indian that day :daydream:) Kept working the field, managed 2 flat buttons( one with a nice decor), and 2 musket balls (including a small cal.)

We moved on. We passed by an old home....my gut told me that was the one...I told Al I was turning the car around and that it was my turn to ask. I knocked on the door, the lady said she didn't own it, and walked away >:#, then a guy came to the dorr and gave us permission, he said it dated to the 1760s. Wasn't really finding anything. I found a few DEEP wheats...like 9+ inches down. So I was thinking the good stuff had to be a lot deeper. I got a nice 47 hit at about 4 inches...I was thinking silver quarter..and was very happy.....but NNNNOOOOO....nice large green disc :happydance01:

We got in the car, I showed Al, we could not make out any detail....he asked..Can I spit on it? Sure go ahead...so he spit cleaned it for me.....We could see the outline....My first Liberty Cap Large Cent :peace:

Brought it home cleaned it up, couldn't get a date. I showed my wife, and I said I think it's a 1796 because of the cap..and she says....and because it says it right here. Now I couldn't see anything, but she said it's like those prints where you look at it, but don't look at it, and you can see the picture, but if you focus to see it, you won't >:#

After I dropped Al off I hit the spot that I pulled some silvers out of last weekend, managed 2 more wheats and a small silver ring

[attachimg=7]

aloldstuff
01-09-2012, 02:01 PM
WTG Rob, you could have gotten ten silvers and I still would have to say that the Liberty Cap beats all. I know its your oldest american coin. Such a nice piece of history to uncover. Still trying to figure out how your wife saw the 1796. I have a small file at home, want to try and put a reeded edge on it:huh:thinkingabout:?LOL

RobW
01-09-2012, 02:15 PM
WTG Rob, you could have gotten ten silvers and I still would have to say that the Liberty Cap beats all.

That would all depend on the silvers..... :yes: But no silvers this hunt..but I sure as heck am not compplaining about my finds this year :cheesysmile:

del
01-09-2012, 03:35 PM
hey Rob , i thought your New Years resolution was to take some photography classes and post some clear pictures for the forum. lol lol your killing me here crying01 , with that great large cent and my eyes straining to look at it :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: to try to see the detail. i say you give it to Al :teasing: lol rofl seriously congrats on the liberty cap penny |:confused:) |:confused:) their pretty scarce to find and is a milestone of a find for sure .

Dan

aloldstuff
01-09-2012, 03:50 PM
hey Rob , i thought your New Years resolution was to take some photography classes and post some clear pictures for the forum. lol lol your killing me here crying01 , with that great large cent and my eyes straining to look at it :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: to try to see the detail. i say you give it to Al :teasing: lol rofl seriously congrats on the liberty cap penny |:confused:) |:confused:) their pretty scarce to find and is a milestone of a find for sure .

Dan

Do you realized what i am going to have to deal with now....... |:confused:) me :teasing: rob

JTGOLD
01-09-2012, 05:01 PM
very nice finds,GJ.

angellionel
01-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Awesome find Rob! :clapping: That is one to remember, no doubt about it. :yes: We may need some better shots of the coin though. :thinkingabout: When you get a chance. thumbsup01

CODY
01-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Sweet finds. Congrats on the Copper. HH

Tony Two-Cent
01-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Wow, what an incredible find! :shocked04:

It sure would look nice in the banner finds across the top of the page if we had a better photo of it! (Hint, hint! lol)

That's the kind of find we can only dream of here in Illnois! CONGRATS! :clapping:

RobW
01-10-2012, 10:03 AM
:blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

You guys are rough! >:tongue:

I asked my wife for Killer Bee headphones for X-mas...not a camera lol

I'll see what I can do......

Ill Digger
01-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Well I guess I won't give you any slack about the pictures now. :poke: lol
I sat here and sat here trying to figure it out till my eyes were :shocked04:stretcher: :twirlingeyes: :shocked01: and still never really figured it out :dontknow: :confused: lol
But I could make out enough to know it's a Liberty Cap! :yes: :shocked03: thumbsup01 And that is one sweet find!! :envious: :clapping: |:confused:)
Congrats!! :grin:
After all my staring at the screen and book I still want to make a guess. lol
Either 1893 :confused:...... or 1894 w/ Head of 1893... :dontknow: Thats my guess. lol

DennisH
01-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Awsome find!!!!!

Snapolson
01-11-2012, 11:45 AM
That's a great Large Cent! :perfect10:

aloldstuff
01-11-2012, 03:34 PM
:blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

You guys are rough! >:tongue:

I asked my wife for Killer Bee headphones for X-mas...not a camera lol

I'll see what I can do......

Can you at least post the sound that it made ..... LOL

Epi-hunter
01-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Very nice find!!! :perfect10: Yes, that is very hard to beat! Congratulations :perfect10:

jkress
01-11-2012, 10:58 PM
:shocked04: What an incredible find. <:

Congrats Rob.

mike l
01-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Thats a sweet LC, only minted between 1793-1796 :twirlingeyes:. Congrats on a great find :beerbuddy:

starman2
01-24-2012, 11:17 PM
:perfect10: Looks like a pretty good Jan. hunt to me! Congrats! |:cheering:

dave in iowa
01-25-2012, 01:00 AM
a great roll , congrats |:cheering:

DennisH
01-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Wow!!!!

Hook
01-26-2012, 09:50 AM
very very nice LC!!! but you should send it to me and i'll be happy to take some good closeup pics of it for ya |:cheering:
i cant add anything that hasnt been said already so....good job!!!! :peace:

plehbah
01-28-2012, 03:39 PM
I yearn for an ancient cent.

Nice find!

Fire Fighter 43
01-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Congrats on one fantastic find!!

wild willy
02-02-2012, 02:31 PM
hmmm! liberty cap! :-\ thats on my wish list for this year. awesome job! :perfect10: willy