PDA

View Full Version : it just keeps on giving !!!!!

lee
01-09-2012, 06:37 PM
so,since my last post with the 1832 half dime, I've been back to the same tiny piece of field twice and detected for about two hours total. yesterday another CT copper which looks like it was turned into a button if that makes sense ? i can pick out king george the 3rd's head on it but very little else.
also found some more musket balls, very old buttons, a shoe buckle, some half coins.
today i went out for an hour with larry, he found two wheats 1943 and 1914 and i found this little beauty !!
an 1823 matron head large cent.....I'm just flabbergasted in what this tiny piece of land is throwing up !! and we have barely done 1% of it .
anyway here is a picture of it uncleaned...... I really don't know how to clean these coppers but im going with sierra mist fizz pop and olive oil.
if anyone has any ideas, I would be most grateful.

http://i42.tinypic.com/ab1i1g.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/son1vl.jpg

CODY
01-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Sweet finds. Looks like you have a great place to hunt for some time. Congrats and looking forward to seeing more. Thanks for posting.

Tony Two-Cent
01-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Holy cow, Lee, you're on a roll! Another incredible hunt! |:confused:)

Sure looks to me like you've found a dream spot to detect! I would be hitting that site at every chance! :yes:

Your Matron Head large cent looks like an 1822 to me. thumbsup01

aloldstuff
01-10-2012, 08:09 AM
What a great spot. You have gotten some real good keepers from there and you've only done 1% of it. Waiting patiently for your next post.

JTGOLD
01-10-2012, 10:06 AM
nice hit on the LC,and if it was me I would try electrolsis on it.as it will not harm it.

coinhunter
01-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Be very careful in cleaning ,soap, water and a little olive oil. You can only clean the coins to a point. Any attempt to remove the hard copper crust will also remove any writing, it become one. Anyway great finds you too . I'm still waiting for Larry's big find and post.

lee
01-10-2012, 10:34 PM
i think me and larry might swap detectors next hunt just to se if it makes a differance or im just a lucky git :angelic: coinmaster.
just been to the monthly detectorist meeting and my little 1832 half dime won the find of the month ...weeeeeeee.
its very humbling looking around the room at people i can only describe as my heros,dan,george,and the others and having them shake my hand and congratulate me on my find....thanks guys you make this red coat feel very welcome

Ill Digger
01-11-2012, 02:00 AM
If it keeps on giving then I'd keep on hitting it!! lol
Another sweet find Lee! :cool:
Congrats!! :grin:

del
01-11-2012, 04:57 PM
i think me and larry might swap detectors next hunt just to se if it makes a differance or im just a lucky git :angelic: coinmaster.
just been to the monthly detectorist meeting and my little 1832 half dime won the find of the month ...weeeeeeee.

hey Lee congrats again on winning the find of the month at our club , you were up against some great compatition in your category , i've never seen 3 capped bust coins (2 half dimes and 1 dime) at the same time trying to win it :omg:. it makes it all the more sweeter of a victory my friend . :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

you large cent up above is in rough shape and i don't think you'll get any more of the detail to show up , unfortunately thats just how the coppers fare out here in New England . i'm sure you'll get more out of the area your doing , best of luck on your next outing .

Dan

Epi-hunter
01-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Nice find Lee!!! You have definitely found a sweet spot there. Can't wait to see what else you turn up! |:cheering: