PDA

View Full Version : VERY RARE EARLY ONE PIECE CONNECTICUT MILITARY BUTTON

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-11-2012, 07:05 PM
got out today & went back to one of my very 1st cellar holes.worked it slower and dug everything.aside from the few flat buttons I thought my finds of the day were the key & small buckle until i started cleaning the buttons.
the last button i was cleaning with just water running over it I saw a shield
what a shock when this design emerged after cleaning.
backmark is TREBLE GILT with the Connecticut seal in the shield.
Dan says it's most likely War of 1812 ish.

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-11-2012, 07:06 PM
last pics

CODY
01-11-2012, 08:55 PM
THAT is some Sweet finds. :perfect10: Love the button. Congrats!

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-11-2012, 09:09 PM
somebody on another forum quoted this below.....
Hi HMN That CT button is a good one, Alberts CT 11. I don't have the Tice book but I checked it once and he says Albert underestimated the rarity of it and has only ever seen 2 others. Of course now there's yours and mine I dug mine in CT about 15 years ago and have never seen another dug and the condition of yours is outstanding. Albert also lists it as a blank back so was suprised to see a mark on it. I'll vote banner on it since I think Tice priced it at 1,000.00 several years ago.

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-11-2012, 11:01 PM
and a reply from William Leigh himself

Dave, Here is my reply from William Leigh-Button Dealer
John,
This CT button that your friend found is rare enough that I do not recall whether I have ever had a chance to examine one or not. It was likely produced sometime between 1811 and 1827. It is very rare, indeed. As to value, that would just be a wind guess....it is a Northern State button, so is only so valuable, but it is a much rarer find than many Confederate buttons.

Most would consider that its value would likely be in the hundreds of dollars.

Kind regards,

William Leigh

Ill Digger
01-12-2012, 01:28 AM
:shocked03: Dude! Your killin' me here! :stretcher:
Another piece of American history right in your hands Dave! |:confused:) |:confused:)
I don't know much about old buttons . But from what you've posted....all I can say is WOW! :envious: |:confused:)
Big congrats Dave!! :grin:

Merc
01-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Very nice button Dave. The one thing i can tell you about that button is, I Don't Have One lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Very nice button Dave. The one thing i can tell you about that button is, I Don't Have One lol

lol Brandon. hope all is well with you.hope to get back together for a hunt sometime.thanks man!

aloldstuff
01-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Dave, another nice recovery. You seem to be amassing a great fortune....can I borrow a couple hundred:huh:thinkingabout:LOL . Congrats on such a nice button

Toadman
01-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Intense when ya clean your finds, And something like that pops up ! History in your hands there for sure !! :perfect10: <: :happydance01: happydance02 |:cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-13-2012, 07:13 PM
thanks for the nice comments! |:cheering:

del
01-14-2012, 03:35 AM
congrats on finding the early Connecticut button Dave |:cheering: |:cheering: and making t-nets banner (even if they are a little biased over there lol ;)) no really , it well deserved my friend :clapping: :clapping: . the button guy Mr. Leigh and i were pretty close on the age huh :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: glad i could help you when you called and congrats again ...

now go find another one :cheering: :cheering:

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-14-2012, 11:33 AM
congrats on finding the early Connecticut button Dave |:cheering: |:cheering: and making t-nets banner (even if they are a little biased over there lol ;)) no really , it well deserved my friend :clapping: :clapping: . the button guy Mr. Leigh and i were pretty close on the age huh :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: glad i could help you when you called and congrats again ...

now go find another one :cheering: :cheering:

Dan

Thanks Dan! yeah you and him were dead on close.I kinda figured it was that era but hoping on Rev War but the rarity is what was a shocker to me. If only 2 known when Tice wrote his book and one guy that responded who dug one in Ct 15 years ago,now mine.That's only 4 known examples? if that's the case I'm in awe :shocked03:

PI JOE
01-16-2012, 10:56 AM
This is why I am going to make a video of Dave's hunts! :yes: ;)

midas
01-21-2012, 10:06 AM
You mean stuff like that is worth something? I found a quarter size button a few weeks ago that had treble gilt on the back and you could see part of an eagle on the front. Also a couple weird looking buckles with double prongs. I throw stuff like that in my junk bucket. Guess I have a nice winter project in going through my 40 years of junk buckets!!!! Except I don't know what to look for.

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-22-2012, 04:43 PM
You mean stuff like that is worth something? I found a quarter size button a few weeks ago that had treble gilt on the back and you could see part of an eagle on the front. Also a couple weird looking buckles with double prongs. I throw stuff like that in my junk bucket. Guess I have a nice winter project in going through my 40 years of junk buckets!!!! Except I don't know what to look for.

:shocked03: :shocked04: :shocked03: :shocked04: :shocked03: :shocked04: :shocked03: :shocked04: :shocked04:stretcher: :shocked01: 8/ :omg: :wow: thumbsup01 |:cheering: :eyebrow: :shocked03: :shocked01: :drool: :twirlingeyes: :omg: :shocked03: 8/ :drool: thumbsup01 :perfect10: :peace: :shocked03: thumbsup01 :yes: :drool: :omg:
i'll buy the whole junk bucket as it sits!

midas
01-22-2012, 06:57 PM
There are 4 - Five Gallon buckets FULL of junk I found. Been detecting since 1965. Anything that wasn't gold, silver or a coin I threw into the buckets. Plus 2 large coffee cans with lead balls, sinkers, etc.

pulltabsteve
01-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Another OUTSTANDING FIND!!! Big congrats Dave :perfect10: |:cheering: :wow:

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-24-2012, 08:13 AM
There are 4 - Five Gallon buckets FULL of junk I found. Been detecting since 1965. Anything that wasn't gold, silver or a coin I threw into the buckets. Plus 2 large coffee cans with lead balls, sinkers, etc.

ups the anty! $200 bucks |:cheering:

Fire Fighter 43
01-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Great hunt and congrats on a very nice button.

plehbah
01-28-2012, 09:52 PM
That is a beautiful button. I don't remember seeing one of those before.

Congratulations on a nice one!

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-28-2012, 10:14 PM
That is a beautiful button. I don't remember seeing one of those before.

Congratulations on a nice one!

thanks! not too many have seen one, so i am told.i guess now there are only 4 known to exist

jkress
01-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Wow... that must have been quite the surprise. :shocked04:
A very neat piece of history you recovered there. <:
Congrats.

foundation hunter
01-15-2015, 08:33 PM
Congrats on a real nice find.

RIdirtdigger
01-16-2015, 08:29 AM
I know this is an old thread , since you found it two years ago but WOW that's an incredible find

Bell-Two
01-16-2015, 03:20 PM
Amazing button I wonder how I missed this the first time!

Pacivilwarluke
01-19-2015, 07:09 PM
I see this is an ancient thread but I just had to comment! That button is nothing short of spectacular, it's kindblowing that only a few exist! Congrats! :shocked04: