PDA

View Full Version : The dangers of Metal Detecting

RobW
01-12-2012, 03:35 PM
As many of you know....I hunt with aloldstuff....we were out detecting and we had to stop and drive him home because he threw his back out while detecting :stretcher: Goes to show you, this IS a sport and we should probably strecch ourselves out before we start out....especialyy since many of us are old lol

We'll I just asked him if he was coming out this weekend...and this was his response

aloldstuff
Global Moderator

Re: This weekend
« Sent to: RobW on: Today at 11:55:22 am »
« I just got back from the doctor. I now have a prescription for muscle relaxers and I have to either go for physical therapy or a chiropractor
Report To Admin
V3i - Prism IV - Pro Pointer - Brass Cricket
Livin & Lovin the diggin

Only improvements over previous years will be posted...............................or firsts

We all hope you get feeling better soon Al, and get back into the swing of things!

Ill Digger
01-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Oh man! :( I know how that feels. :stretcher: Not good! \:hammer:
Take care of yourself Al thumbsup01 :sleepy:

Epi-hunter
01-12-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Al crying01

I hope you are doing okay.

Don't go to a chiropractor :-\ (just my personal bias)

aloldstuff
01-12-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Al crying01

I hope you are doing okay.

Don't go to a chiropractor :-\ (just my personal bias)

What a surprise to see this post (ROB). Please, if you have any age to your old bones, listen to what Rob has suggested-----STRETCH-----. For the last 20 or so years my lower back has given me problems. Nothing serious just a nagging ache. Now with this latest ailment, I am having a truely hard time just walking.

Angie, yes I think the PT is the way to go and for everybody who is going to post here, save the typing and just send envelopes (with money). LOL, sorry I have to try.

Thanks

Al

RobW
01-12-2012, 05:12 PM
rofl lol rofl lol rofl lol rofl lol

Nothing is sacred........ >8)

Sorry you were not covered by the attorney/client privilege...that costs money lol

aloldstuff
01-12-2012, 05:52 PM
rofl lol rofl lol rofl lol rofl lol

Nothing is sacred........ >8)

Sorry you were not covered by the attorney/client privilege...that costs money lol

That's okay because Joan has decided to sue YOU.

tanacat
01-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Oh no! Poor guy :stretcher: Hope you are healing up okay. Lower or upper? Does it hurt to breathe? I pulled back muscle pretty bad once, loading 50 lb bags of birdseed at my job :rolleyes: and it was very painful to breathe... Oh wait, chiropractor and PT sounds like disc issues, not muscle pull... :cheesysmile: :embarrassed:

Anyway, best wishes for a speedy recovery, keep us posted :yes: And thanks for the advice to stretch.

Tony Two-Cent
01-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Here's wishing you a speedy recovery, Al! If there's a bright side, I guess it's that you didn't throw your back out during prime detecting season. Winter will be here soon anyway. Take care and get some good therapy!

del
01-12-2012, 08:41 PM
sorry to hear about the back troubles Al , atleast Rob drove you home :yes: :yes: George would of demanded any and all good finds in my pouch first before raising a finger to help me lol rofl rofl. Rob heres a tip for next time , men under excruciating pain will agree or sign almost anything lol lol .

Al i hope your feeling much better very soon .

Dan

Bell-Two
01-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Ouch! :crying02: I know how that feels, take care of your self us mature gentleman must take care of ourselves so we can inspire these young whippersnappers! :grin:

randy
01-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Sorry to hear about your injury, Al ,and here is to a quick recovery :beerbuddy: At least use the recovery time for research if you are able.

aloldstuff
01-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks everybody. I really wanted that tire rim for my collection. Yup, I'll be doing some research. I finally took one of thise musl laxrs and i no suuureth...........ey even wor09890k...

Ill Digger
01-14-2012, 01:14 AM
I finally took one of thise musl laxrs and i no suuureth...........ey even wor09890k...
It don't sound like it :dontknow: Better take another one thumbsup01 lol.......Just kidding...don't do that. \:hammer: lol

fsa46
01-14-2012, 07:02 AM
Sorry to hear about the bad luck Al :( . I hope you have a speedy recovery :yes:.

Maybe, at the very least, Rob could bring his beautiful finds to cheer you up :cheering:..... on second thougnt :thinkingabout: maybe that isn't such a good idea. 8/

aloldstuff
01-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Hi everybody, here is an update. After taking some of those muscel relaxers and doing some recommended excerises, I woke up Sat morning like this situation never happened. I could not believe how good it felt. No pain, no hobbling, just back to the way it was. So I figure that I will not be needing any PT of the chiro.

Thank you all for your kind words and for thinking of me.

Al

starman2
01-16-2012, 01:26 PM
:happydance01:, Good to hear your feeling better. |:cheering:. I have been having alot of trouble with my hands. And I know what it's from. All the swinging, and hole digging. Maybe carpal tunnel. I only suffer while not metal detecting. So I will put up with the discomfort as long as I can. <}

two_bit_digger
01-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Glad you're doing better. take it easy for a while, and don't lift anything heavier than a beer :beerbuddy:

Fire Fighter 43
01-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Hope you are doing better and here's wishing you a quick recovery.

jcbdc
02-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Glad you are doing better, some back pain will respond to rest and OTC drugs, ice and mild exercise, other problems respond well to a Rx, some do well with chiropractic manipulation, and some need surgery. That is also my order of treatment. I have seen many people ten years after surgery still in pain. There is no best treatment and every one responds to therapy different! I was a Chiropractor for 33 years and had many referrals from surgeons. I have treated MD's and DO's. Think of a surgeon bending over patients all day long. Helping to pick a patient off a surgical table to put on a gurney. Now that I am retired I still treat my MD, DO, DC and RN friends at my home when possible. :groovy:

Joe

aloldstuff
02-13-2012, 04:32 PM
JCBDC, I too know of people that went thru back surgery to no avail, they still have the pain. That would be one avenue that I would have to carefully think about. I think that as long as I stretch (doing the excercises) I should be aokay. Time will tell...

BOWSER
02-13-2012, 11:18 PM
i f i knew where you lived i could come to your house with a couple of wooden wedges, have you lay on the floor ,put the wedges on either side of the small of your back, and walk around you like some kinda indian shaiman and then tell you to get up off the floor and walk east for 2 miles holdin a glass on top of your head. good luck youngstuff Jim/ aka chiropdist or whatever you call them

aloldstuff
02-14-2012, 10:14 AM
i f i knew where you lived i could come to your house with a couple of wooden wedges, have you lay on the floor ,put the wedges on either side of the small of your back, and walk around you like some kinda indian shaiman and then tell you to get up off the floor and walk east for 2 miles holdin a glass on top of your head. good luck youngstuff Jim/ aka chiropdist or whatever you call them

Guess I'm pretty lucky that you DON'T know where I live.

Lowjiber
02-14-2012, 11:38 AM
...After taking some of those muscle relaxers and doing some recommended excerises, I woke up Sat morning like this situation never happened.

&quot:beerbuddy:etter living through chemistry is my motto. :rolleyes:

Glad you're better. |:cheering: