PDA

View Full Version : Cellar Holes and Old Houses

Bell-Two
01-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Tuesday was a cool and sunny day here in Southwestern Ohio, so we took advantage of the weather. In the morning we went out to investigate a couple of cellar holes, the houses dated to the 1840's. Both houses had been burnt and the first was bulldozed too so it made hunting very difficult. The place was loaded with honeysuckle so you did not have much room to swing a coil. Paul found a wheat penny and Diane found a large heavy brass buckle and I found a copper ring. We then treked back to the next site which was across a corn field and up a wooded hill and about a half mile away! This house was too overgrowned but not quite as bad as the first. Paul found a couple more wheat pennies, our host found a bucket hook and that was about it. We will need to come back again with small coils and a lot more time. We then went out that afternoon With Doug and his son Malachi to do some door knocking the first house gave me 3 wheaties and a lot of deep clad, Doug found a clad half and then a half hour later came up with the real deal a 1944 Walking Liberty half. We then moved on as the day was getting late. At the next house I found a deep 1916 wheat with a nice patina and again some clad. Little Malachi found a FOE pendant that is very cool and also a 1944 One Centavo Phillipino copper coin. Diane got a very nice heavy brass skeleton key with a great patina on it. Doug was not getting much until just before we left he scored a 1940 Merc. A long day but very satisfying.

Hunting With Bell-Two #83 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCvcYOGbfkE#ws)

Ill Digger
01-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Looks like you guys and gal put on some miles! Wow!
But it payed off in the end though :yes: thumbsup01
I really dig Diane's skeleton key!! Thats cool! :cool: thumbsup01 Beautiful emerald green patina!! :loveit:
Way to go Crew!! :clapping:
Congrats on all your goodies! :grin:

CODY
01-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Great finds, Congrats

del
01-12-2012, 09:01 PM
congrats to all on a very successful outing at the cellar site , the silver half must of really gotten the blood pumping :happydance01: :happydance01: great skeleton key |:cheering: |:cheering: and the buckle is to some horse tack or a harness buckle and probably late 1800's to early 1900's in age . very nice results all. :clapping: :clapping:

starman2
01-12-2012, 10:39 PM
:perfect10:! Congrats on a succesfull hunt |:cheering: The key is really cool! And the Half speaks for itself. WTG

aloldstuff
01-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Nice that you got some swing time in between all the hiking. Scoring a WLH is huge and the skeleton key is cool.
congrats

DennisH
01-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Super vidio and even better finds WTG!! :clapping: