PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at scanning coins for posting.

CODY
01-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Hi Folks. Got out and hunted most of the day. I think this was the worst day yet. I surely ended up with the cob and not the corn this day. 1 Wheat, no date, and a Polmolive soap token, and a hand full of clad. Anyway when I got home I decided to try to scan some coins for the first time on my printer/scanner. Man did it work good. Great for thoses after cleaning photos. I bought one of these Silver Eagles every year for a while. In 2005 I decided to get two. One I stuck in my pocket for good luck. It has been in my pocket every day since. It has flown over the Atlantic. It has been to Germany, England, Isreal, Holland, France, Jamaica, Jordan and Iraq. She is a well traveled Lady for sure. She still makes a great picture.

jkress
01-12-2012, 10:10 PM
At least you got a few goodies on your hunt. :)

Looks like your scanner will work very well for your finds. Lots of detail.
That's a lot of wear on the coin after 6 years of pocket travel. It's interesting to see how much
wear can occur on a coin over that amount of time. I'm assuming it was pristine when it first went in your pocket?

starman2
01-12-2012, 10:34 PM
:peace: Nice scan! Do you think any of these ladies are still in the ground? happydance02 :happydance01:

Ill Digger
01-12-2012, 10:41 PM
hunted most of the day. I think this was the worst day yet. I surely ended up with the cob and not the corn this day.
<} Were have I heard that one before :thinkingabout: lol
Yeah! That'll happen from time to time. :dontknow: lol
But it don't sound like total bust. \:hammer: You got your daily wheat thumbsup01 and a old token! thumbsup01 :cool:
Descent :yes:
Congrats! :grin:
The scans look dynamite :yes: thumbsup01

CODY
01-13-2012, 04:09 AM
At least you got a few goodies on your hunt. :)

Looks like your scanner will work very well for your finds. Lots of detail.
That's a lot of wear on the coin after 6 years of pocket travel. It's interesting to see how much
wear can occur on a coin over that amount of time. I'm assuming it was pristine when it first went in your pocket?

Yep, it was a Proof coin. I took it out of the plastic. I was also surprised about the amount of wear. I never noticed it till I scanned it. I guess it being as pure silver as it is it will wear quicker.

Cheap Thrills
01-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Scanning is a nice way to go , great detail shows up and no blurring from movement . thumbsup01 I've got to figure out how to get the scan online . No hurry though as I don't find many great coins anymore anyway . lol Nice going on getting out and finding something . :cool:

aloldstuff
01-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Cody, looks like the scanner works well. I have a morgan dollar that my father carried in his poctket for well over 50 years. It is so worn that only a wee bit of her head is visible.