PDA

View Full Version : Silver Dimes and Large Cents

angellionel
02-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Yesterday I joined John (midas) for a hunt at two small Connecticut beaches. We had hoped to pick up gold and old silver at low tide, but the beach was not cooperating. It was great to be out though.

Here are my beach finds, junk and clad coins.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/February/beachfinds_022110.jpg

I did find the following coin at the first beach.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/February/indiancoin_022110.jpg

On our way back home we made a detour and headed to a park near my house. We still had a few hours of daylight left, so we decided we should try out one of the fields found at that park. We picked up several old wheat cents, so that was a good sign. I did manage one mercury dime before leaving.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/February/silverdime_022110.jpg

Having found several old wheat cents at that field, today I headed there to see if I could coax a few silver coins out of the ground. I did better than I had expected, picking up four silver coins - three mercury dimes and a Roosevelt dime. I also dug up two large cents. One is dated 1817, but the second one is hard to make out. The coin appears to be a Classic Head variety.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/February/silverdimes_022210.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/February/largecents022210.jpg

Now we expect more snow. :bangahead02:

HH!

Epi-hunter
02-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Nice finds! Too bad that northeast ground is so tough on the coppers.

I don't know what I'm going to do with you, if it snows there again. :lol: I might lose my mind :) I'm hoping for spring soon too.

MT
02-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Very Nice Angel...Big coppers don't show themselves here in California. I'd love to be able to find some.
Congrats on the silvers (we do have them) :lol:
HH,
MT

CyberSage
02-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Beautiful hunt! Good to see your still getting out Angel. We just got another foot of the white plague here in Colorado. Dig one for me.

Jack

Ill Digger
02-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Sweet finds a usual Angel ! :thumbsup01:
I really like the Large cents but the India coin is one of those cool unexspected finds that makes detecting so interresting.
You might have to join the lerge cent race this year :yes:
Congrats :grin:

xzlr8n
02-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks for quick fix, helps with the withdrawl symtoms. I'm still weeks away I'm afraid :ticked:.

Congrats on the silver and Large cents!! :thumbsup01:

John M
02-23-2010, 05:57 AM
looks like a well rounded day of finds.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-23-2010, 06:45 AM
wow! you had an awesome day! :thumbsup01:

angellionel
02-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Nice finds! Too bad that northeast ground is so tough on the coppers.

I don't know what I'm going to do with you, if it snows there again. :lol: I might lose my mind :) I'm hoping for spring soon too.

I'll try to keep my whining to a reasonable level, but I may let loose if we get any more accumulation. :lol:

Very Nice Angel...Big coppers don't show themselves here in California. I'd love to be able to find some.
Congrats on the silvers (we do have them) :lol:
HH,
MT

They do make for sweet finds, though I wish they would hold up better. I'll take them any day though. ;)

Beautiful hunt! Good to see your still getting out Angel. We just got another foot of the white plague here in Colorado. Dig one for me.

Jack

We were fortunate that the field was not frozen. Most of the surrounding ground was much too hard to dig into. :bangahead02: A few more days of warmer temperature and we'll be all set though. :cool:

Sweet finds a usual Angel ! :thumbsup01:
I really like the Large cents but the India coin is one of those cool unexspected finds that makes detecting so interresting.
You might have to join the lerge cent race this year :yes:
Congrats :grin:

I like the India coin too. :yes:

Join the copper race? I don't get to do much cellar hole hunting. Besides, I may just end up winning the ox knob contest. :lol:

Thanks for quick fix, helps with the withdrawl symtoms. I'm still weeks away I'm afraid :ticked:.

Congrats on the silver and Large cents!! :thumbsup01:

I know what you mean. Hang in there! The ground will be thawed out before you know it. That's what I keep telling myself to keep sane. :lol:

coinnut
02-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Good couple of hunts. It's nice to see you haven't lost your silver touch :lol: Thought maybe last year was a fluke? :rofl: How did John do?

angellionel
02-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Good couple of hunts. It's nice to see you haven't lost your silver touch :lol: Thought maybe last year was a fluke? :rofl: How did John do?

If it's a fluke, I hope it continues. :lol:

John picked up old wheat cents both at the beach and at the park. He had recently been to the second beach we hit and found a Franklin half dollar and a small gold ring at low tide. We were hoping for similar finds this time around. It didn't work out that way, but we did enjoy the time out. :yes:

SeabeeRon
02-23-2010, 01:02 PM
I love :smitten: all beach finds Angel, East or West Coast!! :cool:

Beefcake
02-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Coaxing them out of the ground eh? ... I always invision you running and a gaggle of silver lady liberties chasing you like a bunch of 13 year old girls chasing the Beatles... Sweet finds Angel!

SeabeeRon
02-23-2010, 05:23 PM
...a gaggle of silver lady liberties chasing you like a bunch of 13 year old girls chasing the Beatles...

A very visual expression Brian! :rofl:

angellionel
02-23-2010, 05:34 PM
:lol: :lol:

I'm sure glad I was not drinking anything while reading that. :lol: :lol:

del
02-23-2010, 08:44 PM
a very very nice couple of hunts Angel , glad your up to your usual silver posts on the forum my friend .

tanacat
02-26-2010, 07:12 PM
What does this say? :confused: I'd like to look it up- or have you already? :yes:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/February/silverdime_022110.jpg

angellionel
02-26-2010, 07:27 PM
What does this say? :confused: I'd like to look it up- or have you already? :yes:

It's a prayer - "Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee."

tanacat
02-26-2010, 08:28 PM
It's a prayer - "Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee."

:lol: of course... with the dirt on her face she looks like a Grim Reaper of sorts!

coinnut
02-26-2010, 08:30 PM
:lol: of course... with the dirt on her face she looks like a Grim Reaper of sorts!

CREEPY :cheesysmile: It does sorta look like a skull face. Sorry Mary :angelic:

handyman
02-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Nice finds, The time and ground sure shows no mercy on those large coppers.

angellionel
02-26-2010, 10:46 PM

CREEPY :cheesysmile: It does sorta look like a skull face. Sorry Mary :angelic:

Yeah, the face does look odd in that photo. :lol: It looks better after a clean up. :yes: