PDA

View Full Version : Found a couple oldies and my first cameo

Full Metal Digger
01-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Hey diggers,

We had an incredible surge of warm air today from the south and all the snow melted. Temp got up to 60 degrees! I made the 2-hour drive back up to the old park and spent 5 hours MDing. As usual, signals were few and far between. I did manage 2 indian head pennies (both dated 1903) and a very nice 1917 Buffalo nickel at 9 inches deep! I also found a very nice cameo about 8 inches deep. It rang up like an IH and so I was surprised to see it pop up. I think it is carved pink coral but I don't know how to tell for sure. Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/IMG_0550.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/IMG_0546.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/IMG_0547.jpg

starman2
01-16-2012, 09:13 PM
:wow: :perfect10:, Awesome Cameo! Great finds on a warm Jan. day. Ain't it great! Glad you were able to get out |:cheering:

CODY
01-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Sweet :perfect10: Love the Cameo. Nice finds. Congrats

Tony Two-Cent
01-16-2012, 09:45 PM
You found a bunch of seated dimes too, didn't you, but you just don't want to tell me! :poke:

I'm glad you made the trip after all, Dave, because it ended up being a gorgeous day and the snow melted quickly. I just wish I could have joined you.

The cameo is especially nice, I bet it's old. thumbsup01

How many indian heads have you pulled out of that park now, ten?

Full Metal Digger
01-16-2012, 10:07 PM
You found a bunch of seated dimes too, didn't you, but you just don't want to tell me! :poke:

I'm glad you made the trip after all, Dave, because it ended up being a gorgeous day and the snow melted quickly. I just wish I could have joined you.

The cameo is especially nice, I bet it's old. thumbsup01

How many indian heads have you pulled out of that park now, ten?

Wish you could have joined me too Tony! The seateds were kind of worn so I threw them back in the hole. :crazy: I mostly worked the area next to the street in front of the :usaflag: pole. I also hit the baseball field and found 6 Jefferson nickels! No other coins out there, just nickels (Oldest was 1956).

So far: 10 injuns, 3 buffs, 1 V, and 1 barber dime.

Ill Digger
01-17-2012, 12:34 AM
That old park sure has given up some really nice finds for you guys!! :yes: thumbsup01
I'm with the others on this hunt Dave... the broach is just phenomenal :yes: :cool: :clapping:
The ones we usually seen dug, are broken. :( It's nice to see yours held up all these years!! thumbsup01
Congrats!! :grin:

serega
01-17-2012, 10:26 AM
COOOOOOOLLL :clapping: :perfect10:

aloldstuff
01-17-2012, 10:58 AM
First off, we all know how Tony really wants a seated so thanks for throwing them back in the hole. That cameo looks great. Congrats on being able to get out and swing that md around.

sandals
01-17-2012, 01:35 PM
that cameo is awesome!!

JTGOLD
01-17-2012, 07:21 PM
very nice buff nic,and nice looking cameo too,wtg.

milco
01-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Great finds Dave, the cameo brooch is very cool. They are seldom dug up intact.

li tom
01-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Beautiful old Cameo!Those unexpected and unique finds are really one of the best parts of this hobby.

del
01-17-2012, 09:21 PM
great looking cameo DD , since the bezel is gold gilt over a copper alloy base i can only assume the image is not made of something extremely valuable . it held up well like a stone would , traditionally cameos were very popular in the late victorian era all the way to the early 1920's . generally they were made of caved pink conk shell , bake-a-lite (an early form of hard plastic) or carnelian stone . it a very beautiful piece DD.

Dan

wild willy
01-18-2012, 05:32 AM
nice cameo bud! ive seen them dug but never by me. i want one. willy

tanacat
01-18-2012, 12:54 PM
:beerbuddy: |:confused:) :beerbuddy: |:confused:) :beerbuddy: |:confused:) :beerbuddy: |:confused:) :beerbuddy: |:confused:)

In other words Very Cool Find! :yes:

Now if she could only tell us about her past... :daydream:

Full Metal Digger
01-18-2012, 01:44 PM
great looking cameo DD , since the bezel is gold gilt over a copper alloy base i can only assume the image is not made of something extremely valuable . it held up well like a stone would , traditionally cameos were very popular in the late victorian era all the way to the early 1920's . generally they were made of caved pink conk shell , bake-a-lite (an early form of hard plastic) or carnelian stone . it a very beautiful piece DD.

Dan

Good points Dan. After doing more research, I've decided it is probably bake-a-lite. The back of the cameo looks poured to me vs. cut. That's okay though. It's still a vintage piece. I'm going to have it remounted in a gold bezel and give it to my wife as a necklace! It would be nice though if I could figure out who the image is of! Dave.

Ill Digger
01-18-2012, 02:52 PM
That's okay though. It's still a vintage piece. I'm going to have it remounted in a gold bezel and give it to my wife as a necklace!
Oh yeah?! :thinkingabout: Thats a cool idea Dave! thumbsup01 :yes:
See!?! :rolleyes: You always find the cool stuff :yes: :envious: