PDA

View Full Version : silver spoon

randy
01-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Got out for the first time in a while, after a bit of thawing, to a new site I had high hopes for older keepers. I expected the targets to be sparse, and they were, but the one keeper was a whole silver spoon, my first complete one. happydance02 :happydance01:

I'm not sure how old it is, but the STERLING stamp indicates at least 1905, I guess. The hallmark indicates Gorham silver -- AFAIK these have had different stylings over the years, yet I could find no online resource to date the stylings, so it could have been made yesterday for all I know. I could not find any info on the ST, which did not match any info on the websites I found. I'm guessing the Regina and the '07 is aftermarket monogramming. Did people actually monogram their silverware? Who knows?

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3]

Full Metal Digger
01-18-2012, 04:18 PM
NICE! Looks like maybe 1907 for the inscription? There is a link for Gorham stamps. Try googling it.

two_bit_digger
01-18-2012, 05:01 PM
excellent find....very nice!!!!

wish i could find silverware that nice. i get a lot of (formerly) plated ware.

sandals
01-18-2012, 05:07 PM
that's a pretty spoon!

starman2
01-18-2012, 07:57 PM
:wow: :perfect10:! Very nice spoon. Beautiful condition! A great addition to your collection |:cheering:

aloldstuff
01-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Don't get to see many complete silver spoons. Very nice find and yes people did monogram their silverware.

Tony Two-Cent
01-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Very nice silver spoon, Randy! I would bet the '07' is indeed the date 1907.

Great find! :clapping:

jkress
01-18-2012, 09:12 PM
A complete vintage silver spoon.... <: :clapping:
Awesome find Randy. I've been wanting to dig one like this for a while now. :daydream:
Congrats on finding an excellent specimen.

randy
01-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Very nice find and yes people did monogram their silverware.

Apparently. Check this out.

I've been doing a little digging online tonite. It was tradition back in the day to monogram silverware as a baby gift, wedding gift, and so on. It seems likely that the '07 on the back means it was gifted in 1907, probably to a baby named Regina. (Its a coffee spoon, (5.25 inches), as opposed to a teaspoon (5.75 inches) -- who knew about these things? -- I for one can't tell a salad fork from the real thing lol).

But there's more. Apparently there is an aftermarket for old monogrammed sterling spoons. Who knew? I found my exact spoon, exact size, exact pattern (the pattern was introduced in 1897), online for sale for $80.

Amazing.