PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here!

mitchreid2000
01-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Hi Everyone

I live in Wisconsin and am planning on trying out metal detecting this spring it is something i have always wanted to do so i can't wait. If anyone has any tips on a good metal detector to start out with that would be great.

Thanks

Mitch

Epi-hunter
01-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Hi Everyone

I live in Wisconsin and am planning on trying out metal detecting this spring it is something i have always wanted to do so i can't wait. If anyone has any tips on a good metal detector to start out with that would be great.

Thanks

Mitch

Hi Mitch, glad you found us :) There are hundreds of folks here who have tons of metal detecting experience.

There are lots of questions to be answered before we can recommend a metal detector that will work for you and is what you want. Starting with two questions:

1) What is your budget?

2) Where are you interested in hunting/ what kind of finds are you interested in? (Old coins versus old relics; gold versus old silver coins, etc)

Welcome to the forum! |:cheering:

CODY
01-19-2012, 04:11 AM
Welcome from Mississippi. Looking forward to your post and finds.

mitchreid2000
01-19-2012, 04:40 AM
Hi Mitch, glad you found us :) There are hundreds of folks here who have tons of metal detecting experience.

There are lots of questions to be answered before we can recommend a metal detector that will work for you and is what you want. Starting with two questions:

1) What is your budget?

2) Where are you interested in hunting/ what kind of finds are you interested in? (Old coins versus old relics; gold versus old silver coins, etc)

Welcome to the forum! |:cheering:

I would say my budget is around $350 and i would be hunting in parks and old farmhouses/churches for old coins, silver/silver coins and gold.

Thanks for responding.

Mitch

POKIE73
01-19-2012, 06:56 AM
my advice is to do a little research on this forum talk to as many people as you can if you are from ws it is going to be a little while before you have a chance to get out this will give you time to decide i would tell if you are serious get the best one that you can afford this hobby is addictive and you will want to upgrade soon thats why you would want to get one that you would be happy with at least for a while dennis

aloldstuff
01-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Mitch, welcome from western MA. Just getting started huh, you'll need to do some homework as to what detector your going to buy. I had a White's PRIZM IV and I found lots of old coins and relics with it, plus never had a problem with it. I don't think that they make the model any more but check out all the major brands.

OxShoeDrew
01-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Hope you find a machine that makes you happy,and welcome from the nutmeg state.

JTGOLD
01-19-2012, 07:45 PM
welcome to the forum,and it doesn't take a top of the line detector to find old coins
check out the goldmaster 2 made by whites or the ace 250 made by garret,both are turn on and go detectors, best of luck on what ever you pick to use.

del
01-19-2012, 08:57 PM
hello Mitch , welcome to the forum ;). some very good advice so far , you have time until spring to really look at all the detectors in your price range , their pros and cons . to see what model has features that others might not , just remember to ask questions about stuff your not sure about and when you've narrowed it down to a few detectors you'll get honest opinions about them here.best of luck

Dan

Ill Digger
01-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Hey Mitch! :groovy:
Welcome to the forum from the cornfields of Illinois :grin:

.... I had a White's PRIZM IV and I found lots of old coins and relics with it, plus never had a problem with it. I don't think that they make the model any more but.....
Me too. :yes: As a matter a fact I still have mind thumbsup01 It was right about that price too. The Coinmaster Pro is the model that took the place of the Prizm IV. And it's a little less than what I paid for my P4. I know a lot of folks start with and grow to love the Garrett Ace 250 also. :dontknow: But look around. :yes: Living in Wisconsin you have plenty of time to do some research, ask some questions, and make a educated decision as to to what you buy...before the ground is even diggable :yes: thumbsup01
Good to have ya along! thumbsup01

CODY
01-19-2012, 11:25 PM
Boy did you open a can of worms, Hahaha. You name it and someone here probably uses it. I started with the Fisher F4. Approx. $399.00. I love it. But of course I havent tried any other brand. Just upgraded to the Fisher F75 LTD. Liking it more and more each day. IMHO, it dosent matter. Close your eyes and pick one. The main thing is you have to become one with your machine. Practice, practice, practice. No matter which machine you choose, it is going to talk to you. What you have to do is learn what its saying. Just like the difference between my F4 and F75. Its like two people, one from Mexico, one from Spain. Its the same language, but different accents and punctuations. Its just a learning process that comes with practice. Become one with your machine Mitch Skywalker, and the Force will be with you!

mitchreid2000
01-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all of the tips guys looks like i got some research to do this weekend!

mitchreid2000
01-23-2012, 09:57 PM
After some research and info from members on this site I am going to go with a Fisher F2. Now I just need some warm weather so i can try it out!

mitch

jkress
01-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Welcome to our group mitchreid2000. It is nice to have you here with us. :clapping:

I've heard a lot of great things about the F2. I'm sure the two of you will find some nice items. :-> I started this hobby with an Ace 250 which found more than enough to get and keep me hooked.

You'll have a great time this spring. Ask any questions you have. There are lots and lots of very helpful members here.

Tony Two-Cent
01-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the forum from central Illinois! I owned a Fisher machine from 1987-2000 and had great success with it. You should do well with your new F2, Mitch! Keep us posted on your progress!

Lowjiber
01-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Welcome from southern Nevada, Mitch.

There's some good advice posted above. There's a lifetime to learn any hobby and this one can become an obsession. |:cheering:

Fire Fighter 43
01-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Welcome from SE Wisconsin. What part of the state are you from? If you are close maybe we can get together once you are ready to start detecting. I would recommend the Garret Ace 250 for a starter detector in your price range. I personally have not used one but have heard nothing but positives about it.

mitchreid2000
01-28-2012, 12:01 PM
I got my Fisher F2 via UPS yesterday I think I am going to have shovel some snow so I can try it out!

Epi-hunter
01-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Hey Mitch, you made a good choice! :perfect10: Now if only it were spring! :crying02: I hope you can get some swinging time in with the new detector soon if the snow melts :yes:

Mudder
01-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Hi Mitch and welcome aboard. As for selecting a detector, find a group or a store that will let you try as many brands as you can get your hands on. They all work well and will get the job done for you, but in the end it is a matter of personal preference. Phil thumbsup01