PDA

View Full Version : I am truly snake bit!

CODY
01-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Well folks I am what we call down here Snake Bit Can't find a silver coin to save my soul. Perfect day for hunting. Sun shining, :cool: 70 degrees. Nice! :yes: I have been hunting the rough part of town (which means the oldest part). Was getting tired of straping on the iron to go MDing. Sooooo, I managed to get permission to hunt a house in the Historical District. This led me to permission to three other houses. I have been hunting these for the last week. All were built in the 1920's. I have found lots of clad, 8 or 9 wheats, 1 war nickel, and one Merc. The Merc and war nick I have already posted pictures. I'm not even going to post pictures of the wheats and clad I found today. All the owners say they do not know of anyone MDing these properties before. The people who lived there years ago must have been very careful not to drop things. I think I am fixin to stick the old 1911 back in the pocket and head back to the slums. I was doing a lot better there. Ha. Anyway, I sure enjoyed the nice weather. The bad thing, the storms are coming in tonight. >:\ Should be raining most of the day tom. HH all.

Hook
01-20-2012, 11:47 PM
how dry is the soil ? i'm sure you know wet ground conducts signal better. Or maybe you just havent swung the coil over the silver in those yards yet? ya just never know..thats why we call it hunting :groovy:

Atokad
01-20-2012, 11:51 PM
raining here tomorrow all day as well :crying02:
always on the weekend!

Hope those properties start producing some silvers for you soon!

Ill Digger
01-21-2012, 02:52 AM
If they're old houses, don't give up just yet \:hammer: The goodies are there. :yes:
Just take your time. Hunting those old houses, alotta times once I start finding the wheaties I'll stick around that area for a while. Hit it from all directions. Dig all the signals. After you clear out the shallow trash the deeper/ older finds will start show themselves! :yes: thumbsup01 And then when you think you got it all. Bump up the sensitivity, open up the discrimination, and turn up the volume .....and hit it again. :yes: thumbsup01 You'll be surprised what is still waiting for you in a area you'd swear is clean of all targets. :yes:
Congrats on the wheaties! :grin:

randy
01-21-2012, 06:59 AM
I recently had a run where I had 17 wheaties in a row with no silvers. Old house lots where there should have been silver, IMHO. Just keep at it, it comes eventually, but I've also found those sorts of sites can be hit and miss.

Good luck, at least you can still hunt. We've got the white stuff now.

POKIE73
01-21-2012, 07:56 AM
cody ill digger gave you some good advice i have permission at the first house built in my town 1850s i hunted there at least 15 times got a lot of good finds and finally i got my oldest coin ever 1833 liberty cap bust it was there as i am sure there is some goodies waiting for you at those older houses be patient they are there and they will come go slow dig all possibles good luck look forward to the pictures of what you find good hunting dennis

JTGOLD
01-21-2012, 10:50 AM
finding silver is always nice but I like to find them wheaties too, you just never know when you might find a old key date lincoln,best of luck next time.

Cheap Thrills
01-21-2012, 02:06 PM
You'll get the silver Cody . I sure wish I could legally pack my 1911 ( I know some really tough areas just loaded with silver) . Unfortunately though there's a good chance I would still be undergunned . :-\

starman2
01-21-2012, 03:19 PM
:wow: 70 degrees! Must be nice! Reading your story, is just making me itch to get my knees dirty. As far as the silver, at these old houses. You never know? :thinkingabout: My house is 100 years old. I have found a silver quarter at the next house over from me. But I have yet to find silver in my yard. I have combed it pretty good. Along with the neighbors on both sides of me. All three of these houses are very old. A map of 1872 even shows three little squares, on it where our houses are. Sometimes it's just not there >:tongue: Being an expierienced hunter as yourself. You should know how well you have covered those yards. Theres a neighborhood close to me, that I would love to hit. But like you said I would have to bring along some heat. And maybe a few more MD'ers. Good luck to you on your hunts! At least you're able to get out. :frozen: here in Mich. :peace:

RaZR
01-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Just keep hunting those yards the silver will show up. If not other cool things will pop outta the ground for ya. At least you got permission! Everytime i ask for permission i get shot down. Maybe i'm just ugly! Maybe a shower is in order. Anyhow, i'm in the frozen mitten too so i can't even find a wheat penny right now.
:bop: stop whinning and get out there!!!!! :grin:

starman2
01-21-2012, 04:28 PM
:peace: Hey RaZR, Nice to know I'm not the only one lookin out the window. I haven't gave up on these yards yet. As the year went by. I started to get the hang of these signals. I'm new to the hobby/obsession lol. And new to the DFX. So I'm still learning. Towards the end of the season. Along with a new D2 coil. I really started to learn how to seperate out the mixed signals. And it paid off pretty well. Going over ground, that I had already covered. Produced some nice silver. Hoping this spring will bring me more. Doin my research, while I can't get out. Hopefully will pay off. I just added a 6 X 10 to my arsenal. :beerbuddy: here's to ya!

Snapolson
01-21-2012, 05:01 PM
I have the same problem here Cody. I have the run of an 1830 homestead with LOTS of land. All I have to show from hunting there off and on since this past summer is ONE wheat penny, no silver, and just some clad. You'd think there would be tons of great stuff, but not so far. I've done better in parks and woods around me.

But, I can hit it all I want since the house will be torn down at some point. The guy still owns the land for at least the foreseeable future. I'm hoping I'll find at least one good coin before the land is sold. Good luck on your end.

aloldstuff
01-23-2012, 10:15 AM
We are all in agreement that the silver is there. Slowly ...... slower......to much time has elapsed since the buildings were built to today. Thanks for posting