PDA

View Full Version : Off to buy a used White's XLT

tanacat
02-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Eeeek I hope I'm not making a mistake... :confused: :shocked04: :( :crazy: :angry: :ticked: :yes: :huh: :grin: :crying02:

I have mixed emotions about this... I really love my Prism IV... for so many reasons.

So I'm trading her plus some $. Total $550--- down from $900 that's a good deal right?
I like the fact that it comes with rechargeable battery pack thing-a-ma-jiggy.

I consider my White's dealer a friend, said I could try her out first. Hopefully will meet up with Angie this weekend for some hunting- to do this! thumbsup01 Okay, I'm headed out the door with my kids to 'upgrade'...

tanacat
02-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Oh God help me, I'm twittering... rofl

Okay, I'm headed out the door with my kids to 'upgrade'...

del
02-23-2010, 05:28 PM
the xlt is a very good machine Tanacat and has a lot of options as well . they are capable of getting good depth and you can cover alot of ground pretty quickly . tone i.d. is a nice feature and is good to use especially in iron trashy areas , i'd recommend the v.c.o. on for better or more accurate pinpointing too.congratsand enjoy.

Lowjiber
02-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Oh God help me, I'm twittering...

thumbsup01 You're doing fine. Good luck with the new XLT.

kurtnks
02-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Congrat's on the upgrade thumbsup01 And I love it when they include thing-a-ma-jiggy's rofl

coinnut
02-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Eeeek I hope I'm not making a mistake... :confused: :shocked04: :( :crazy: :angry: :ticked: :yes: :huh: :grin: :crying02:

I have mixed emotions about this... I really love my Prism IV... for so many reasons.

So I'm trading her plus some $. Total $550--- down from $900 that's a good deal right?
I like the fact that it comes with rechargeable battery pack thing-a-ma-jiggy.

I consider my White's dealer a friend, said I could try her out first. Hopefully will meet up with Angie this weekend for some hunting- to do this! thumbsup01 Okay, I'm headed out the door with my kids to 'upgrade'...

Hey Tanacat, Try this first if you still have some time left. Go to E bay's home page. Type in Whites xlt metal detector and watch some of the auction prices. I think you should be able to find a nice used one for around $400-$425 and still keep your old machine. I'm almost ready to sell my DFX and I probably won't get much more than $650 for it on E bay and it's a lot newer and a bit more advanced than the XLT (I know I'm gonna hear from all the XLT lovers out there lol) So if you have some time, look over E bay and get a feel for what a good one should go for. The XLT is a great machine but it is OLD and should be a bit less than that. Just my thoughts.

Epi-hunter
02-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Tana, I am going to send you a PM shortly :)

tanacat
02-23-2010, 09:15 PM
thumbsup01 You're doing fine. Good luck with the new XLT.

lol lol lol When I said &quot:daydream:h God help me I'm twittering I didn't mean twitter as in nervous shaking- I meant as in that new phenomena of recording your every move during the day. Not sure if you were up with the twittering craze going on ... I don't want any part of it. :confused: Esp while driving- texting. It's scary out there! :beatdown:

Hey Tanacat, Try this first if you still have some time left. Go to E bay's home page. Type in Whites xlt metal detector and watch some of the auction prices. I think you should be able to find a nice used one for around $400-$425 and still keep your old machine.

Thanks but too late... I'm back with her. Now I gotta learn her! Got a couple books~ 'XLT Field Methods & Custom Programs' and 'Spectrum Secrets'. And a loupe...

George, I actually spent $400 plus $150 back on my Prism IV (I originally bought her used for $200 about 6 months ago)I think I got a good deal. We're planning to start a local club here, meeting at his coin store.... Hopefully for Epi-Hunter, Handyman and I will start meeting up and hunting around here. And whoever else is willing to travel :yes:

tanacat
02-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Congrat's on the upgrade thumbsup01 And I love it when they include thing-a-ma-jiggy's rofl

Thanks Kurt :grin:

kurtnks
02-24-2010, 01:24 AM
Thanks but too late... I'm back with her. Now I gotta learn her!

tanacat :confused: was just wondering-- How do you know what sex your XLT is? Look under the battery door :tongue:

John M
02-24-2010, 05:51 AM
I have had my xlt for 9 years now and love it.I have switched to primarilly a relic hunter and do a lot of cellar holes.It is a great machine and is very flexible in set ups.My oppion is always use tone id and yes do use vco for pin pointing.I don't think you are making any kind of mistake.

coinnut
02-24-2010, 08:42 AM
George, I actually spent $400 plus $150 back on my Prism IV (I originally bought her used for $200 about 6 months ago)I think I got a good deal.

I thought you spent $550 plus the Prism. But $400 plus the trade in is a fair deal. It is one heck of a machine though. A bit more complicated than the Prism. lol Check to see if they left you any custom programs in there :yes: Some of them can be real good. After you get aquainted with her, then maybe some XLT users will be willing to share some programs with you. Sometimes the deep programs are hard to understand and noisy when you aren't used to a new machine. So take it slow and enjoy your new toy. It will go deep!!!!

Lowjiber
02-24-2010, 09:23 AM
There's a guy who goes by Coinist who's kinda famous for his custom XLT programs.

Take a look at his site here: http://66.51.97.78/index.html

I know you'll enjoy your new machine. Good Luck!!!!

handyman
02-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Hey Tanacat, Im glad you got the xlt from allen. Youll be glad also after you get the hang of it. Ill gladly show you the basics youll need in the field. We have just got to get into some good silver spots now that you have a machine that will get some depth.
Sounds like everyone has given good advice. The VCO is alot of help in pin point. I think I showed you on my V3. Congrats.

tanacat
02-25-2010, 08:43 AM
tanacat :confused: was just wondering-- How do you know what sex your XLT is? Look under the battery door :tongue:

rofl rofl rofl you're funny! Oh you know machinery is always a girl... I wonder how that came to be? :confused:

Lowjiber
02-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Oh you know machinery is always a girl... I wonder how that came to be?
My Jeep's name is Lucy, but I call her Lucille when I take her to the prom.

tanacat
02-25-2010, 08:51 AM
I have had my xlt for 9 years now and love it.I have switched to primarilly a relic hunter and do a lot of cellar holes.It is a great machine and is very flexible in set ups.My oppion is always use tone id and yes do use vco for pin pointing.I don't think you are making any kind of mistake.

I like to hear that! The guy I bought this from (he owns a coin collecting store and is a White's dealer), he's had his xlt for over 10 yrs, never felt the need to move up to DFX or V3...

I'm trying to figure out the tone id, how to set it. It's set on this really boring tone, a single ANNOYING 'scolding' buzz. I read the owners manual and it didn't explain HOW to change the 291 tones! But I've got a couple other books. Is it simple? Would you mind telling me?

tanacat
02-25-2010, 08:57 AM
My Jeep's name is Lucy, but I call her Lucille when I take her to the prom.

rofl lol rofl lol so why is this lowjiber?

Hey thanks for the link to that xlt website- it looks good!

Hey Tanacat, Im glad you got the xlt from allen. Youll be glad also after you get the hang of it. Ill gladly show you the basics youll need in the field. We have just got to get into some good silver spots now that you have a machine that will get some depth.
Sounds like everyone has given good advice. The VCO is alot of help in pin point. I think I showed you on my V3. Congrats.

Thanks Kevin. I'm already bonding with her some- a bit confused with the complexity of programs. Reading a bunch!

Darnit snow!!! :ticked: :bangahead01: :crying02: :angry: :shocked04: :ticked: It won't matter much now -if its in the 40's on Saturday huh? Do you want to meet up anyway? Angie said she may have to work. We could meet at some restaraunt and have a detecting club meeting anyway :)

tanacat
02-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Sometimes the deep programs are hard to understand and noisy when you aren't used to a new machine. So take it slow and enjoy your new toy. It will go deep!!!!

Yeah I think it's reading the drywall screws in our basement ceiling (through living room floor upstairs) at 13.5 lol

Can't wait to get to swingin' her... It just snowed last night though :crying02: I about froze my arse off by the old church trying her out yesterday. The wind chill was 30 below ;)

coinnut
02-25-2010, 09:25 AM
rofl rofl rofl you're funny! Oh you know machinery is always a girl... I wonder how that came to be? :confused:

Kinda like cars. Always a she. :yes:

syclone0182
02-25-2010, 10:15 AM
the xlt is one of the best . :yes: