PDA

View Full Version : British patriot metal

coinhunter
01-21-2012, 06:21 PM
My son found this metal in a farm field in upstate N.Y. USA . It turns out Your find is a British patriotic medal issued by Edward Pinchbeck to commemorate the Duke of Cumberland's recapture of the fortress at Carlisle following the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745. This bronze medal was struck in large numbers, and many examples survive, typically retailing for $100-200, depending on condition. The one shown below sold for $195:

The obverse bears a bust portrait of the Duke of Cumberland. The complete inscription reads, WILL DUKE CUMB BRITISH HERO and, on a band below, &quot:beerbuddy:ORN 15 APR 1721.
The reverse depicts the Duke on horseback, ordering a soldier to take two Highland soldiers to the rear. The inscriptiosn are REBELLION JUSTLY REWARDED and AT CARLILE DEC 1745

I'm just amazed what you find metal detecting !!!!

coinhunter
01-21-2012, 06:30 PM
I just want to thank Mark Parker of Western Eastern Treasures magazine on finding the information and providing a picture of this metal

coop
01-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Amazing!!!!!!! One of the best finds Ive seen this year!!!! Here is one that I found last year in NY http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=394501.0 Congrats thumbsup01 HH coop

coinhunter
01-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Ya, they don't seem to weather to well

coop
01-21-2012, 07:32 PM
I just fixed the link thumbsup01 Congrats again to your son thumbsup01

coinhunter
01-21-2012, 07:33 PM
I see that

JTGOLD
01-21-2012, 07:33 PM
neat find ,wtg.

coop
01-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Ya, they don't seem to weather to well
I think its in amazing condition, Especially for its age. You could always have the medal professionally restored.

coinhunter
01-21-2012, 07:56 PM
If you notice from the picture pieces of the metal coin on the edges are missing. Original when my son found this coin it was completely round . He put in a coin holder and several months later with my encouragement we took it to a coin dealer. To get a better look the coin dealer tried to break it through the plastic instead of removing the staples doing the damage you see. My son just about put his lights out and needless to say we were sick for days. I don't think I'm over that event yet.

Atokad
01-21-2012, 10:00 PM
If you notice from the picture pieces of the metal coin on the edges are missing. Original when my son found this coin it was completely round . He put in a coin holder and several months later with my encouragement we took it to a coin dealer. To get a better look the coin dealer tried to break it through the plastic instead of removing the staples doing the damage you see. My son just about put his lights out and needless to say we were sick for days. I don't think I'm over that event yet.

:omg: I would have been so pissed! You would think a dealer would have a bit more respect for something so obviously fragile. >:# :boxing:

starman2
01-21-2012, 10:10 PM
:perfect10: Yea, I think I would have put his lights out. Awesome coin! WTG!!

CODY
01-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Nice :perfect10:

del
01-21-2012, 11:48 PM
:shocked03: wow that is a great historic piece , how long ago did your son find this ??
its really sad at how most coin dealer's have almost no knowledge or little respect for pre- colonial or federal period coins , tokens and medals . their interest is in more modern coins and proofs . sorry to hear about the dealer's stupidity , it could of been worse and the guy could of snapped that medal in two . its a very very nice item and i hope your son displays it proudly .

Dan

coinhunter
01-22-2012, 09:34 AM
This metal was found two years ago with a 250 Garrett DD coil. It laid just at the edge of the corn field where it appears that it just missed the yearly turning of the soil by the farm equipment. This field had be known to be an old Indian Village and the surrounding area. Yes your right I did expect the coin dealer would have been a little more careful and handled it like a archeologist would have but that was my mistake. I wouldn't have encourage my son to take it there. We can all learn from this lesson. My son is 34 so he wasn't dealing with a child.

Cheap Thrills
01-22-2012, 12:52 PM
That's a find to be proud of. :perfect10: |:cheering: :clapping:

lee
01-23-2012, 07:20 AM
oh mate !!!! that is so cool , i acturly have a portrait of the duke of cumberlands house on my wall at home.
congrats to your son on a truly historic find...great detail on something so old

aloldstuff
01-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Stupid coin dealers, pre-colonial medal and tokens are for metal detectorists. What a great find. It's nice to own a piece of history. Thanks for posting

coinhunter
01-23-2012, 11:16 AM
It does make me wonder how that metal ended up in a corn field. As you can see from the picture it has a little hole in it, must have been worn around the neck. Although my son has move to Florida you can bet I'll be back in that field come spring. Should be armed by then with a Garrett pin pointer and a AT Pro. thumbsup01 This was another find in that field 1772 Spanish Reale

tanacat
01-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Wow, 1745 :shocked04:stretcher: :shocked04:stretcher: :shocked04:stretcher: Amazing, what a great find! :yes:

About that coin dealer- >:/ >:/ >:/ How stupid!!! I bet you two were livid >{
Thanks for sharing that with us, maybe it will help us to be wary if we take something fragile to get checked out...

You could always have the medal professionally restored.

Perhaps that dealer should help out a little :eyebrow:

coinhunter
01-23-2012, 12:38 PM
At this point the metal is safe and all of my other good finds. I have found the less people touch some of this stuff the better off it is. In the past I have shown people some of my coin finds and they dropped them. Another time I showed a person a clothing button from the 1700's that still had the thread attach that held it on to the clothing. He managed to drop that button loosing the thread. So I decided to share my finds with just detectorist that understand what they are dealing with and treat these objects with respect.

plehbah
01-28-2012, 09:44 PM
You cannot beat a cool find that comes with a great history lesson. I was guaranteed it by a wizened gnome I met while detecting a woods.

Fire Fighter 43
01-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Amazing find!! WTG

coinhunter
01-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks Guys. It was one of those finds that you know you have something real good but can't put your finger on it. Ive done a lot more history research sense I started metal detecting that I ever did in High School in 1968. I know my son freak out when he got it out the ground!!!

coinhunter
01-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Because of this find by my son and some of the things I have found I now refer to my metal detector as a time machine, that connects the past to the present. Thats why I love this hobby.