PDA

View Full Version : Well it finally happened... MY FIRST SEATED!

Tony Two-Cent
01-21-2012, 09:11 PM
I wasn't going to go metal detecting today because it was so cold here. We had a high of 28 F today. But I looked out the window this morning and saw bright sunshine in the cloudless blue sky, and decided to take my Lesche digger out in my yard to see if the ground was frozen. It was indeed frozen as hard as concrete in some places, but where the sun was hitting it I could sink my Lesche to the hilt. So I decided to head back to the 1850s park that I have been hunting recently. I got there at about 11:00 a.m.

Unfortunately, the ground at the park was mostly frozen, and it was a slow process recovering targets. Once you got down past the top 2 the digging was much easier though. My first find of the day was a 1903 Indian Head. This one was a perfect 12-35 on the E-trac at only 5 deep. After that I hit a spot where I found three wheat cents in a row, a 1917 and two 1919s. Then I wandered over near the old ball field and got an iffy signal that was mostly one-directional but it had a good high tone and was deep. I was pleasantly surprised to see an 1899 Barber Dime come out of the hole.

At about 4:00 p.m. it was starting to get cold so I decided to work my way back to my car. As I was hunting my way across a vast lawn heading towards the parking lot I got a very nice and clear 12-46 at 6-7 deep. The ground at this spot was really frozen solid, but I was determined to recover the target because I was certain that it was silver. After I managed to get the top frozen crust removed the digging was easier, and my Sunray probe signaled that the object was in my dirt pile. I found the silver dime and from the reverse I could tell that it was either a Barber or... well, I didn't want to get my hopes up. I took the coin back to my car where I had some water. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw beautiful Lady Liberty sitting elegantly on the obverse! Then I saw that the date was 1877! Finally after all these years I have found my first Seated Liberty coin! Pardon my over-exuberance but I am stoked! :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01:

I didn't take my new video camera today because it was so cold and I didn't want to mess with it, so no video, sadly.

My finds for the day:

The 1903 Indian Head Cent:

My 1877 Seated Liberty Dime: :smitten:

The 1899 Barber Dime had an old scratch on it, unfortunately. (And what appears to be a die crack to the left of the date.)

The reverse sides of the Seated and the Barber:

And the three oldies together:

Maybe the hunting conditions were a bit harsh today, but the results were quite satisfying! :yes:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Cheap Thrills
01-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Let me be the first to congratulate you on your first Seated . Congratulations !!! :perfect10: |:cheering: :beerbuddy: :clapping: |:confused:) :cheering:

Full Metal Digger
01-21-2012, 09:24 PM
I am so HAPPY for you Tony! Being out all day in the cold :frozen: like that really paid off for you. When you called I knew you had found something special! <: Now, poor old Illdigger will be so jealous I'll bet he is out all night looking for a seated too! :poke: Good job buddy and a big congrats to you! I can't wait to get back up there and find a couple seateds myself! Best wishes and HH, Dave. :beerbuddy:

jkress
01-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Score!! <:
Congratulations to you Tony for getting your first Seated. :clapping: I can imagine your excitement when you washed away the dirt on the front. :happydance01:
You are doing very, very well at that park. It will be fun to see what else you are able to pull from there. :->
Well done! :beerbuddy: ... especially for January 21. :frozen:

Atokad
01-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Congrats to you! Its a real nice quality too - something to keep forever :grin:

starman2
01-21-2012, 10:00 PM
:perfect10:, A perfect 30!! Congratulations on your first seated!! |:cheering: That was a great hunt for the ground being froze. Right now I'd take one standing on her head. WTG!!

Snapolson
01-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Superb! :perfect10:

Hook
01-21-2012, 10:18 PM
congrats on a great find for you! mark another coin off of your wish list :perfect10:

CODY
01-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Very, very elated for you Tony. :clapping: Great great finds. :perfect10: Nothing like the first! :cheering: Congrats! |:cheering:

dperrott
01-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Nice finds. Looking for a local site like yours that can give up finds like yours. My best site is 150 miles from home under a foot of snow.

Congrats on your seated find.

angellionel
01-22-2012, 12:22 AM
Excellent find Tony! :clapping: Those lovely seated coins sure do get your heart racing. lol

Ill Digger
01-22-2012, 01:05 AM
Now, poor old Illdigger will be so jealous I'll bet he is out all night looking for a seated too! :poke:
:eyebrow:...... Dave? :beatdown:......... zip it! :lipssealed:........... I'm not jealous \:hammer:.............. :envious: lol

I'm totally happy for Tony!! :yes: <: :clapping: :beerbuddy:
I know,..... :confused:....I think we all know, how badly Tony's been wanting to find his first Seated lady! :yes:
He's been like :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :crying02: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :girlcry: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :envious: :envious: :envious:.... lol

Way to go Tony!! :clapping: :beerbuddy: I couldn't be happier for ya! :cheering:
I got your text this afternoon and before I opened it up I said Tony musta found something good :yes:
When I read the message I was so happy for ya! I know how hard you've been trying to find one. :hairpulling:
Well...you can scratch that one off the list! :yes:
Congrats!! :grin:

coop
01-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Awesome!!!!!! Congrats on your first thumbsup01

aloldstuff
01-22-2012, 09:04 AM
I've been waiting for this post. I have been hoping that someday you would get your seated. Huge congrats on your first. I'll bet that you are glad to have decided to hunt instead of sitting at home. Congrats on your Barber and wheats also. :perfect10: :cheering: :cheering:

JTGOLD
01-22-2012, 07:03 PM
very nice first tony,now you can find lots more of them,congrats.

Epi-hunter
01-22-2012, 07:37 PM
She is beautiful Tony!!! :perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10:

A seated and a barber and beautiful IH on the same day. Well worth braving the cold weather. That should keep you going until spring! :happydance01:

Congratulations on the first Tony! <:

dave in iowa
01-22-2012, 11:20 PM
great hunt , got my 1st seated dime also about 2 weeks ago .

milco
01-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Wow Tony, another great hunt from that site! WTG on getting your first seated!

tanacat
01-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Fantastic news Tony!!! :clapping: :happydance01: :cheering: Congrats on your first one |:cheering:

And in pretty good shape too!!! By the way, 1877 was the first seated dime I found also (I've only found 2).

Like Tim said you can scratch that one off your list- what's next? :)

RaZR
01-23-2012, 01:26 PM
[size=24pt]YEEEEEEHA!
See i told ya so!!! I said you would find a seated at that park and i hoped i wasn't jinxing you.
[size=36pt]CONGRATULATIONS TONY :perfect10: |:cheering: thumbsup01

(my first two were also 1877)

LEROY
01-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Nice seated thumbsup01

coinhunter
01-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Man your finds make me want to go metal detecting!!! Great job.

fsa46
01-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Awesome hunt Tony. Congrats on another first.

mike l
01-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Congrats on your fist Seated happydance02 :peace: :happydance01:, still looking for my first!

plehbah
01-28-2012, 09:41 PM
The Seated dimes are a sweet prize, indeed. I had to search long and hard for my first, and it was worn and scratched.

This is a very special day in the life of a man. Savor it and taunt your buddies with it. You deserve it!

CyberSage
01-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Oh wow Tony! That's just beautiful. Congratulations on a great hunt, and nice first.

wild willy
01-29-2012, 05:38 AM
awesome hunt tony! and plehbah IT LIVES! :omg: willy