PDA

View Full Version : george ii medal? please help....

abucooche
01-23-2012, 02:58 PM
new to this forum but like it so far. I am hunting an old site that has tons of trade fur items, still trying to search more history on the site. but found this coin/medal and can't find the exact one anywhere on the net. any info would be great, i will also post some of my other relic finds real soon!! also don't know what this iron object is, looks like off some sort of trunk?
i just upgraded to a white's mxt pro and loving it. i go MD'ing just about every day.....

del
01-23-2012, 04:18 PM
well first of all , hello Abucooche and welcome to the forum ;) . your item has me a little perplexed as it appears to be a coronation medal or token for King George II and his Wife Queen Caroline in 1727 when he took the throne. it doesn't look like any i have seen online as all the ones i've found are different in some way or another . i just have a few questions about it , what do you think the metal composition is ( copper , brass , silver ect) , what is the size of it (could you post a picture of it next to another modern coin for a size reference) . i'm concerned about the medal being a reproduction , while the bust of George II is facing the right way his garb or dress attire is not right (all the other medals i see he is in royal clothes and not in armor) and his face is a bit off ( it looks more like a face off of a Connecticut copper than George II) but more so the bust of Caroline is facing the wrong way all together . the little denticles (dots or bumps around the outside edges) look all wrong as well so i suspect this medal to be a reproduction or counterfiet , which really wouldn't be a bad thing and could even make it more valuable . i would strongle suggest you have it looked at by a professional or expert in these kind of items . this is just my honest opinion and i would very much like to hear any and all if you do get someone to look at it . glad you showed it and again welcome to the forum .

Dan

abucooche
01-23-2012, 11:30 PM
thanks dan for the response. below is a pic of the coin next to a modern coin. i think it is copper, but not sure. i have found this exact pic of KG and this exact pic of Caroline, BUT not on the same medal. maybe i will take it somewhere and get it checked out. just real curious about it, and thanks a bunch for helping out. i am posting some of my other finds in the relic forum tonite, see whatcha think. thanks!!

del
01-24-2012, 03:40 AM
hey thanks for the extra size picture , its about the right size for a farthing or quarter penny as half pennies are just a bit larger than a modern quarter . early medals such as these and the larger ones were often given to native American indians as gifts to solidify friendships with them and the crown and gain allies . so your piece could be authentic if it was found with the other period items from your fur trade area. it would be in your best interest to get it authenticated .

Dan

abucooche
01-24-2012, 12:42 PM
thanks again, i will try to find someone to look at it. i will let ya know if i find out anything. as you can tell from the pic, the medal obviously was uncirculated as the detal is almost flawless, at least on the KG side!! i also found a buffalo nickle in the same area (my first coin ever!!), but the date is worn.

delmer824
12-27-2012, 11:57 PM
I just came upon this thread and it is an eye opener! Because I have the SAME george II medal, and it is similarly clipped at the top! Mine was bought back around 2005 on ebay and the seller said it was found at a fort site near Romney, W.VA! I too have tried to find a similar one online and have not been successful until finding this thread! So it would seem that two of these (so far) are known and both have been found at colonial fort sites! Folks on here seem to feel the workmanship is sub-standard to be an official British medal. NOW makes me wonder... did a colonial medal maker create these specifically as homemade Indian peace medals? I am pretty excited now. Hope the original poster sees this. My email is delmer824@yahoo.com

del
12-28-2012, 12:20 AM
hello Delmer , welcome to the forum . I would very much like to see yours to compare it to the original piece the first poster shown up above and to see how yours is broken.

Dan

abucooche
02-22-2013, 02:26 PM
I just came upon this thread and it is an eye opener! Because I have the SAME george II medal, and it is similarly clipped at the top! Mine was bought back around 2005 on ebay and the seller said it was found at a fort site near Romney, W.VA! I too have tried to find a similar one online and have not been successful until finding this thread! So it would seem that two of these (so far) are known and both have been found at colonial fort sites! Folks on here seem to feel the workmanship is sub-standard to be an official British medal. NOW makes me wonder... did a colonial medal maker create these specifically as homemade Indian peace medals? I am pretty excited now. Hope the original poster sees this. My email is delmer824@yahoo.com

Can you post a picture of yours? I would like to see it also!!