PDA

View Full Version : my finds for 2011,fur trade items, trade silver....

abucooche
01-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Hello all, new to the site and sorta new at MD'ing, been doing it for about a year and hope you enjoy seeing some of my finds, some misch iron relics, indian trade silver, fur trade items, etc. i am hunting a site that seems to have tons of trade fur items and other indian relics. i am hooked on MD and can't wait to get out this weekend. not sure what all my finds are, but definitely fun to find them....... happy hunting.

del
01-24-2012, 03:33 AM
great items Abucooche , i see alot of older trade musket side plates , an escutcheon plate or two some brass aglets , tinkle cones . wow very cool older fur trade silver , even what looks like a trade ax , very nice area your working . :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

thanks for showing .

Dan

aloldstuff
01-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks for posting. Looks like your 1st year has gone well for you. Are the silver trade items on the right hand side of the picture? Glad to see that you are still able to get out, us here in the NE are frozen in.

abucooche
01-24-2012, 01:12 PM
yes the trade silver are are the right side, they are very tiny, should have put an object near them to show the measurements. well, hate to brag....it's 70 here and very nice weather, but unusual, for january!
thanks for looking....

abucooche
01-24-2012, 01:20 PM
great items Abucooche , i see alot of older trade musket side plates , an escutcheon plate or two some brass aglets , tinkle cones . wow very cool older fur trade silver , even what looks like a trade ax , very nice area your working . :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

thanks for showing .

Dan
sorry to be dumb, but what is an escutcheon plate:huh:thinkingabout:

del
01-24-2012, 03:15 PM
sorry to be dumb, but what is an escutcheon plate:huh:thinkingabout:

sorry , an escutcheon plate is a brass decorative plate also known as a thumb or wrist plate on a gun or musket , they can be a decorative piece to old furniture too. but yours looks like its for a musket. the pieces all look early 1700's to me is this when your fur trade area took place or was it much earlier?

Dan

abucooche
01-24-2012, 03:48 PM
dan, thanks for the info, i am slowly learning about the items i am finding. also, re: 1700's, i have had a few people tell me that some of the items are from that time period, so 1700's is probably a good answer. but the research i have done at the library may suggest an earlier time as well. so, really don't know the correct answer.

del
01-24-2012, 04:04 PM
well just from the gun parts most of the sideplates look to around the time of Queen Ann (1704-1717) as the pieces look like early english fowler serpentine decorative plates similar to these . these muskets were common and used to trade to early fur trappers and Indians.

Dan

OxShoeDrew
01-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Wow, you found lots of neat relics. Very impressive....70s in January?..how sweet is that... :envious:

tanacat
01-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your finds- very interesting to learn about some of these items |:cheering: I'll be keeping an eye out for your 2012 finds :) The only things I find from 1700's here in Central Ky are buttons...

Fire Fighter 43
01-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Wow!! You had a great first year. It will only get better as you gain experience. Good luck in 2012 and HH.