PDA

View Full Version : 2011 in Review

z118
01-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Finally getting around to a year end summary. I still haven't figured out how to stick pics in the middle of a post so I'm going to leave the pictures at the end and let them speak for themselves.

Long story short, this was a tough year detecting wise as a slew of events and conditions conspired to restrict my detecting... everything from weather to work and life in general. So I got out less than other years, although the mild December did help. Also a factor is the fact that I've hunted all my favorite spots absolutely silly. I've always been a coin shooter more than anything else, but that stops being as much fun when you don't have a good number of sites that produce coins at a worthwhile clip. So I've drifted a bit more towards the old coins and have started hunting some new types of spots that I would have always avoided until now. We'll see what the future holds with that I guess.

In terms of numbers, I dug 6,728 coins total this year. The clad added up to just over $500. That total includes about 400 wheats, 20 nice older coins, and 78 silver coins (a best for me for silver). I dug 45 pieces of non con silver and only 5 pieces of gold. I didn't get any great relics this year but I included a pic of some neat buttons just for good measure.

I did get my Dad into detecting this year though, and that's pretty cool. He's about as obsessed with it as I am now. I also started using a Propointer (a gift from my Dad) and that has been a huge improvement.

As always, I had a blast digging. Metal detecting is quite the hobby. Thanks as always for the conversations and stories and tips on the forum. They are always much appreciated.

happy hunting!

EDIT - to clarify, the second pic is wheat pennies, grouped by decade. The first pile is unreadable dates.

li tom
01-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Congrats on a good year!All that silver and 5 gold is pretty sweet.

randy
01-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Wow, that's quite a collection, and here's to an even better 2012 :beerbuddy:

milco
01-25-2012, 08:33 PM
That is one fantastic year! Looking forward to your 2012 finds. I think my favorite is the old silver 25c Canadian!

jkress
01-25-2012, 11:17 PM
:shocked04: :drool: Look at all of that beautiful silver and gold. :smitten:

That is one heck of a nice year. Congratulations sir.

Cheap Thrills
01-25-2012, 11:28 PM
That's a great year z !! :perfect10:

bob_e99
01-26-2012, 09:30 AM
|:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:)

You have found some really nice rings and that silver just makes me a tad envious :envious: :envious: :envious: :envious: :envious:

Plus gold! |:cheering: I haven't even found my first gold anything yet.

In addition, your clad total makes my head swim. I can see that I still have quite a lot to learn if I'm going to get close to your results.

Congrats on a very good year and all the best for 2012!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

aloldstuff
01-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Looks like a pretty darn good year to me. Made me laugh only 5 gold. 78 silvers surely beat my total. Heres to a great 2012 :beerbuddy: