PDA

View Full Version : SILVERED SADDLE SHIELD & A CLIPPED COPPER

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Decided to spend the day back at the site I dug my one piece CT militia button.I brought 2 machines with me.Since I haven't used the Minelab all that much and everyone sayin how deep it is I thought I'd give it a whirl.
Well after 4 hours a handful of square nails and one rusty saddle shield.I said that's enough and grabbed my XLT.for the most part the site is very quiet & I dug everything.nabbed a clipped copper worn smooth,a designed cloak button,a ornate strap guide and the old key.
decided when I got home to pull out the battery charger and electrolysis the key and shield.what a shock to see the applied hammered silver to the face of the shield :shocked04: still has the tongue on the cross bar too.amazing the rust completely engulfed the silvered face of the shield.
think I pretty much pounded the snot out of this site and may retire it

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-25-2012, 08:47 PM
more pics

CODY
01-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Very nice and interesting finds. Congrats!

Ill Digger
01-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Man Dave! You did one heck of a job cleaning that buckle! :yes: thumbsup01
Good thing there was just enough silver showing to let you know it was there.
Within a couple of years, who knows, the silver may have be completely engulfed in rust! crying01
Another nice piece of colonial history saved Dave! :clapping: |:confused:)
Congrats! :grin:

randy
01-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Nice digs :clapping: Glad that silver cleaned up for you. Now get back to that site and find the rest of that copper :poke:

OxShoeDrew
01-26-2012, 03:26 PM
When did you get the minelab? Also, what's the clipped copper? I found one of those a few months ago.....its in my garbage pile...is it a keeper? :embarrassed:
One time I actually fished an ox knob out of my garbage can when I read what it was.
I have yet to find a skeleton key. I remember them as a kid, our house had them. I should have just kept them...haha ...and all the coins. I remember you could find a wheat penny in your pocket everyday.

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-27-2012, 07:33 AM
When did you get the minelab? Also, what's the clipped copper? I found one of those a few months ago.....its in my garbage pile...is it a keeper? :embarrassed:
One time I actually fished an ox knob out of my garbage can when I read what it was.
I have yet to find a skeleton key. I remember them as a kid, our house had them. I should have just kept them...haha ...and all the coins. I remember you could find a wheat penny in your pocket everyday.

garbage pail? go get that clipped copper outta there :bop:
mine is worn smooth but you may be able to identify yours.they clipped them to make change back in the day.I have had the Minelab for 2 years now and just dont like it

Cheap Thrills
01-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Great finds once again Dave and as always the pictures are sensational . :perfect10: |:cheering: :cool:

Fire Fighter 43
01-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Great hunt and congrats on the silver shield?

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-28-2012, 04:28 PM
thanks Guys! |:cheering: