PDA

View Full Version : Artillary Sheel - Help I.D please

Relic Whisperer
01-26-2012, 10:04 AM
I found two large artillary shells on the beach today. Far from any military base or test ranges etc. They were both in the same hole. They both measure 4 in length and about 3/4 in diameter. Head stamp on one has markings D M and the number 43. The other has a head stamp of R A and the number 44. Can anyone help identify age calibure etc. Thanks.

Ill Digger
01-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Hey Stan
They look and sound awfully big! :huh: I'm thinking they might be a .50 cal. brass.
Can you measure the inside neck diameter? :thinkingabout:
If it's about a half inch, then that would make it a .50 cal. If it's smaller than a half inch it's a smaller caliber :->

Relic Whisperer
01-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Yep, about 1/2.

Ill Digger
01-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Yep, about 1/2.
Well then .5 is half inch. And .50 cal.s are a half inch ID.
:confused: So my somewhat educated guess lol is that you found a couple of spent .50 caliber brass casings :yes:
I'm not sure what the D M 43 stands for. But I'm pretty confident that the R A 44 stands for Remington Arms. I don't know what the 44 and 43 are all about. Being military it could stand for anything! :dontknow: lol Maybe we have some military men or women who could chime in with some better knowledge. thumbsup01 :->
Cool finds either way! thumbsup01
Congrats! :grin:

Relic Whisperer
01-26-2012, 01:07 PM
I should of googled them first. Here is a good link that gives more info and a picture of the gun. i have been told the 43 and 44 are the years they were made. Perhaps this link will help someone else out.

http://www.nebraskaaircrash.com/50caliber.html

Ill Digger
01-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Thats a cool link Stan thumbsup01
I figured the RA stood for Remington Arms. But I never would've guessed that D M stood for Des Moines Ordnance Plant :dontknow: lol
I was going to step out and guess the numbers were years but wasn't sure enough. :embarrassed: lol But now we all know for sure! thumbsup01