PDA

View Full Version : small disc with stars

fyrffytr1
01-27-2012, 10:04 PM
I have posted this on several forums and have yet to get an ID. It came from a CW camp site in western Maryland many years ago. My brother has also recovered one.
It is enameled on one side.

del
01-27-2012, 10:33 PM
did your brother recover his at the same area as you or at another site all together??

fyrffytr1
01-28-2012, 07:52 PM
I don't remember for sure. I found this about 25 years ago. I grew up in Hagerstown, Md. And that area was either Confederate or Union camp sites for the duration of the war. My brother probably found it in the same area as we always hunted the same sites.

CODY
02-04-2012, 11:57 AM
My first thought was perhaps it was a decoration from a saddle. Perhaps surrounding a hole that a tassle ran through and then was knotted so that the metal piece would not pull out from the leather. Just a guess.

fyrffytr1
02-04-2012, 10:59 PM
I talked to my brother this evening and he said that he has found 3 or 4 of them.

Tony Two-Cent
02-05-2012, 07:36 AM
My first thought was perhaps it was a decoration from a saddle. Perhaps surrounding a hole that a tassle ran through and then was knotted so that the metal piece would not pull out from the leather. Just a guess.

This seems very logical and I wouldn't be surprised if you hit the nail on the head, Cody!