PDA

View Full Version : 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent

angellionel
01-30-2012, 07:24 PM
The recent better-than-usual weather and lack of snow in New England is making it possible to go out detecting, even if for short times. :yes: Taking advantage, this past Saturday I was able to detect at a CT park, which yielded five Indian Head cents, several wheat cents, and a badly corroded copper. The Indian Head cents are dated 1865, 1882, 1882, 1895, and 1896.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2012/January/5_indianheadcents_012812.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2012/January/wheatcents_01282012.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2012/January/corrodedcopper_012812.jpg

Then today afternoon I hit a nearby small park for a couple of hours. I only found one good target, but at least it is an old one - a 1803 Draped Bust large cent. |:cheering:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2012/January/1803_drapedbustlargecent_013012.jpg

Stay warm everyone!

Tony Two-Cent
01-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Exceptional finds as always, Angel! Once again you have hit it out of the park!
:wow:

Look at the detail on that 1865 Indian Head Cent! That one was dropped when it was fairly new! Any idea what the badly corroded copper is?

And of course that 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent is stunning! How does the reverse look?

Congrats on the super finds, Angel! Your hunts are always inspiring. Glad to see you posting impressive results again! thumbsup01

plehbah
01-30-2012, 07:55 PM
You have a knack for dirty old pennies. That is an impressive haul for a January outing.

Epi-hunter
01-30-2012, 10:21 PM
You have a knack for dirty old silver too lol

Nice coins Angel. :yes: I'm glad to see that you were able to get out! As always, your short hunts blow my weekend-long hunts away in terms of finds. :clapping:

Thanks for posting. Your threads are always inspiring.

jkress
01-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Great hunting Angel. :clapping: Glad to see you were able to get out a couple of times already. :clapping:

You've got a great start on your IH count. :smitten: Plus the super oldie 1803. :daydream: She must have been a pleasant sight when finally out of the hole.

I see the 1882 IH has a piece of grass on it. Was that attached to the coin when you pulled it out? I am absolutely blown away when I find these remnants still attached to the down side of coins. :shocked04: Especially deep ones. How does the grass keep it's integrity for so long? :confused:

Whether it's true or not, every time I dig one with grass still on I think... this grass was growing when the coin was dropped on the ground. :shocked04:

Anyway... congrats on some nice coinage.

CODY
01-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Very nice IH's. Congrats!

JTGOLD
01-30-2012, 10:59 PM
very nice bunch of old coins,great finds,wtg.

milco
01-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Great hunts! I am with Tony, the detail on that 1865 IH looks outstanding! Great find on that old LC!

angellionel
01-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Thanks everyone! :beerbuddy:

Exceptional finds as always, Angel! Once again you have hit it out of the park!
:wow:

Look at the detail on that 1865 Indian Head Cent! That one was dropped when it was fairly new! Any idea what the badly corroded copper is?

And of course that 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent is stunning! How does the reverse look?

Congrats on the super finds, Angel! Your hunts are always inspiring. Glad to see you posting impressive results again! thumbsup01

The back is readable too. :yes: The parks out here are not gentle with most coppers, so seeing details on them do make for a fun find. I'm not really sure about the other copper, though it appears that it may be a King George. But that's probably just my poor eyes playing tricks on me. lol

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2012/January/1803_drapedbustlargecent_rev_013012.jpg

You have a knack for dirty old silver too lol

Nice coins Angel. :yes: I'm glad to see that you were able to get out! As always, your short hunts blow my weekend-long hunts away in terms of finds. :clapping:

Thanks for posting. Your threads are always inspiring.

Yeah, silver is nice too. lol

Great hunting Angel. :clapping: Glad to see you were able to get out a couple of times already. :clapping:

You've got a great start on your IH count. :smitten: Plus the super oldie 1803. :daydream: She must have been a pleasant sight when finally out of the hole.

I see the 1882 IH has a piece of grass on it. Was that attached to the coin when you pulled it out? I am absolutely blown away when I find these remnants still attached to the down side of coins. :shocked04: Especially deep ones. How does the grass keep it's integrity for so long? :confused:

Whether it's true or not, every time I dig one with grass still on I think... this grass was growing when the coin was dropped on the ground. :shocked04:

Anyway... congrats on some nice coinage.

It does feel good to get out. :yes: I have 13 Indian Head cents so far, so it's not a bad start this year. I doubt I will be able to reach last year's total of 247, but it will be fun trying. :happydance01:

Yes, the 1882 had matted on grass when I dug it up. The grass does seem to help keep them preserved. :thinkingabout:

dave in iowa
01-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Great findsas always ,,,,,, lucky to be out..
|:cheering:

sandals
01-31-2012, 07:21 AM
wow, nice hunt!!! :groovy:

aloldstuff
01-31-2012, 08:05 AM
Angel, as Angie says your afternoon hunts shame my long hunts. Sorry I was not able to meet up with you and Rob but work got in the way. Rob has been dying to try some of tweaks you gave him. Congrats on some very nice finds.

angellionel
01-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Angel, as Angie says your afternoon hunts shame my long hunts. Sorry I was not able to meet up with you and Rob but work got in the way. Rob has been dying to try some of tweaks you gave him. Congrats on some very nice finds.

We did miss you there Al. The coffee was good too. lol It would have been great to meet you. :yes: Hopefully Rob, you and I can get together for a hunt sometime this spring. thumbsup01 Say hi to Rob for me.

RobW
01-31-2012, 11:04 AM
:shocked04:...I don't know what amazes me more...your finds......or the fact that YOU were actually out in the winter detecting rofl

It was great meeting up with you for coffee. I appreciate the tips and confirmation of my thinking thumbsup01

angellionel
01-31-2012, 11:09 AM
:shocked04:...I don't know what amazes me more...your finds......or the fact that YOU were actually out in the winter detecting rofl

It was great meeting up with you for coffee. I appreciate the tips and confirmation of my thinking thumbsup01

lol lol Believe me, winter and I do not get along. rofl I'm a chicken when it comes to cold weather. :frozen: But with the temps hovering in the 40's, one must take advantage when the opportunity presents itself. |:cheering:

Have fun and success in your hunts Rob! There are plenty of Indian Head cents out there, so grab your share. :happydance01:

Bell-Two
01-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Beautiful coins Angel, the 1865 is exceptional! I love the 1803 Draped Bust for some reason the Large Cents speak to my soul!

Nothing says old like a Large Cent!

Cheap Thrills
01-31-2012, 12:11 PM
It's always nice to see the pictures of your great finds .

Fire Fighter 43
01-31-2012, 05:26 PM
As always some fantastic finds Angel. Congrats and HH

starman2
01-31-2012, 06:43 PM
|:cheering: |:cheering: :wow:, What a find! Way cool! WTG!

Hook
01-31-2012, 08:28 PM
i think thats the first post in forever i didnt see you post a silver coin. but you made up for it in the oldies you did find. great hunt with some really nice results. keep killing those deep ones !!

wild willy
02-02-2012, 02:35 PM
good stuff bro! :cool: willy

Ill Digger
02-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Thats alotta old pennys!!
Thats like a penny grand slam!!! <: thumbsup01
Another awesome hunt Angel!! |:confused:)
Congrats!! :grin: