PDA

View Full Version : BUCKLE AGE

BOWSER
01-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Found today,can't tell how old this is

plehbah
01-31-2012, 07:25 PM
It is much greener than my great-grandmother, and she lived to be 94. I am not sure that buried metal and people age the same way, though.

BOWSER
01-31-2012, 09:45 PM
thanks anyway,i thought it might be recent too :dontknow:

wild willy
02-01-2012, 04:43 AM
im pretty sure its a harness buckle cover jim! willy

BOWSER
02-01-2012, 09:39 PM
i thought it might have come off a pilgrims shoe,oh well 8/

plehbah
02-02-2012, 07:43 PM
I think that these cast brass buckles are off of some part of horse tack. Does your buckle have an integrally cast stud in the center of the reverse side? I tried to Google around for a picture, but I am either too slow today, or I am not finding the right vocabulary for the search engine.

I have personally found identical buckles at TOC - mid 20th century sites, mostly in a rural context.

Hopefully someone smarter and better looking (is that possible?) than myself will come along and help you narrow it down a little more.

plehbah
02-02-2012, 07:45 PM
im pretty sure its a harness buckle cover jim! willy

It seems like most of the buckle covers I have seen had different kinds of loops on each end, and a more pronounced convex surface for actually covering the buckle? You know, like the kinds with stamped hearts that are often misidentified as Confederate bedroll buckles?

I dunno.... I would really like to see a picture of the reverse to see if there is a centrally located integrally cast stud......