PDA

View Full Version : Detector for 11 year old

dave1000
01-30-2012, 11:32 PM
I'm looking for a detector for my 11 year old son. Something in the $200-$300 range that can discriminate trash. Nothing too complicated but like most kids these days he has mastered computers, the Wii, etc. I've used MDs before but have been out of the hobby for years so not familiar with what's out there. Suggestions?

Ill Digger
01-31-2012, 12:48 AM
Hey Dave! :groovy:
First off let me welcome you to American Detectorist! Glad to have ya! :clapping:
As for a good starter machine. I personally started with a Whites Prizm IV. Great starter machine. My youngest son was using it when he was 7 and he's 10 now. I just bought the Pee Wee lower shaft for it. :yes: That model has been replaced with the new Coinmaster Pro. Whites lists them for about $280. One step down is the Coinmaster that is listed for $180. Also I know alot of people go with the Garrett Ace 250 and do very well with it. Garrett lists those for around $250. There are lots of others out there also. Those are just a couple off the top of my head. And I'm sure our sponsors here would be happy to work with you on a nice little set up for son. :yes: thumbsup01 Probably for a even better deal than going through the manufacturers themselves. ;)
Hope this helps a little.
GL & HH :grin:

CODY
01-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Welcome from Mississippi. I agree with Ill Digger, The sponcers here will fix you up. Just let them know where he is going to be using it and for what. I started late in life with a Fisher F4. Great machine. I would make sure it had at least manual ground balancing, sensitivity and discrimination adjustments. In metal detectors these days, I truly belive you pay for what you get. Good luck and HH.

POKIE73
01-31-2012, 07:55 AM
my 11 year old grandson started out with a ace 150 in 2weeks he was using my spare 250 he found some coins with it but had problems digging a lot of trash for that reason i have to agree with ill digger we got him a coinmaster pro it took the place of the prizm 4 it is a great machine for him he has done well in short time he has had it i would say that would be a great choice it does disc better than the ace in my opinion and that goes a long way with young kids they get bored otherwise anyway that my 2 cents hope it helps you decide dennis

Lowjiber
01-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Welcome aboard Dave...from southern Nevada.

Like others, I recommend the Coinmaster by White's or the Garrett 150/250/350 series of detectors. All of these machines will respond well to the efforts of modern children.

RobW
01-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Instead of the Garrett 250, for the same price get the Garrett 350, a bit better machine, same configuartion.

Fire Fighter 43
01-31-2012, 05:15 PM
I would recommend the Whites Coin Master I have one and use it as a loner. I also have a 6 and 9 year old that use it. It can be made short enough for them and it is light weight. Here is a thread on the Whites section about it. Just remember to make it fun for him, HH and GL
http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=217.0

plehbah
01-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Get him a nice Tesoro and a good sense of patience and perseverance. He will finds boat loads of dirty wheaties.

dave1000
02-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I am taking a look at these detectors.

Cody, on the ground balance are you saying that it should specifically have the ability to manually do that? The ones I've looked at seem to have auto ground balance so I wasn't sure if you were advocating manaual capability or just that it should have gb.

Thx,
Dave

Britt
02-02-2012, 10:14 PM
This is very good,it can be made short enough for them and it is light weight.

eddiebb
04-23-2012, 01:07 AM
I have a (now 13) yr old daughter just starting out with me..I bought her a Tesoro Cibola...we havent used it a lot yet, but she likes it. It has the pin point on it, and uses one 9 volt battery..the lifetime warranty doesnt hurt at all either...good luck :-)