PDA

View Full Version : 1737 Reale Half Cent.

Merc
01-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Got out today for a cellar hole hunt. Went to a hole that was the site of a forum member hunt not 2 months ago. My only keeper from this site was this silver gilt rosette. My buddy i went with got 3 LC's. I was happy for him but i was also feeling the pressure having been on an unlucky streak. Until today :yes: My friend has permission to hunt a 1790's homestead. This farm is still in operation to this day. It was nice to have Charlives join us for the second half of the hunt. We were there about an hour and forty five minutes and i couldn't get a decent signal for the life of me. Finally just as we were about to wrap things up i got a nice signal 5 inches down, cut the plug looked in and saw a thin edge of a coin. I pulled it out and was surprised to see this 1737 reale, but when i flipped it over i noticed some english lettering. Strange. There is also some nice floral design. It look like someone tried to make this reale a half cent. Any Ideas? Thanks for looking HH

Epi-hunter
01-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Wow... interesting :perfect10:

I know there are a lot of counterfeit reales but those are the rare dates and they would not be altered like that... that looks to me like someone trying to translate it to a half cent status during the intermediary period when the reales led into the American coinage. :confused:

jkress
01-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Very, very cool. :clapping: I wonder what the story is behind this one. :daydream:

Definitely the first one I have ever seen like this. :smitten: I great keeper for sure.

Congrats on a fantastic find. :clapping:

that looks to me like someone trying to translate it to a half cent status during the intermediary period when the reales led into the American coinage. :confused:

:yes: :clapping: Excellent theory Angie.

Tony Two-Cent
01-31-2012, 09:04 PM
That's really cool! Since the Half Cent lettering is backwards, it looks like somebody pressed or hammered the reverse of a draped bust half cent onto the Reale to leave an impression. Even back then a Reale would have been worth a lot more than a half cent, more like ten cents. It wouldn't really make sense to try and pass ten cents worth of silver off as a half cent. :confused:

A 1737 Reale by itself is an incredible find, but this one has a nice mystery to it as well! :yes:

jkress
01-31-2012, 09:18 PM
:thinkingabout: Good point Tony. Even a half Reale should be about 6¢. Mystery indeed. :->

Merc
02-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Thank you everyone. Epi-hunter I think you nailed it. Someone tried to convert this reale to a half cent. That makes this find even more special. Interesting point Tony, just keeps adding to the mystery :)

aloldstuff
02-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Very nice recovery. A reale with a mystery....might be enough for a book.

Ill Digger
02-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Even back then a Reale would have been worth a lot more than a half cent, more like ten cents. It wouldn't really make sense to try and pass ten cents worth of silver off as a half cent. :confused:
:thinkingabout: Thats what I was thinking too. Wierd :crazy: lol
But weird is cool!! :cool: :yes: Just finding the Reale would've been a stellar find! But with counter stamp.....wow! Thats just a super cool find!
Congrats!! :grin:

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-01-2012, 05:07 PM
freaky counterstamp for sure! well for one..you know you have a one of a kind coin right there with the counter stamp words not fully showing.so i doubt theres another one just like it |:cheering:

Fire Fighter 43
02-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Congrats on a great find |:cheering:

OxShoeDrew
02-01-2012, 07:01 PM
freaky counterstamp for sure! well for one..you know you have a one of a kind coin right there with the counter stamp words not fully showing.so i doubt theres another one just like it |:cheering:

I got one in my Happy Meal change today. :grin:
Did you check around the area you found that coin? We left in a hurry.

BOWSER
02-01-2012, 09:33 PM
really nice stuff

JTGOLD
02-09-2012, 06:02 PM
different for sure,neat find though.

Ytcoinshooter
02-13-2012, 03:34 PM
:perfect10: Anytime these turn up! The posts above lend some possibilities as how the half cent lettering got there, very cool.
I once found a 1/2 real with a contemporary counter stamp. These Spanish colonial coins were often revalued for different areas and islands they circulated in. The half cent letting makes no sense as it's worth 12 1/2 cents, one bit. I agree with the idea it was hammered against a U.S. half cent long after that silver was coined.
HH!