PDA

View Full Version : First big silver of 2012

jkress
02-03-2012, 06:14 PM
I made it out with Ron this afternoon for a few hours of digging. Much to my surprise the ground was free of snow and
soft to dig in. Finding thawed ground in this part of Iowa is almost unheard of for February 3rd. :shocked04:

Looks like the 2012 detecting season has officially begun. :clapping:

We tried a new site today that really paid off. I was working a small area around three old trees when keepers started to show up.

Picked up the Barber, which made my day, then about 20 feet later a WLH found it's way under my coil. <: Picked up a toasted 1883 IH too.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2012/pictures/picture-3.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2012/pictures/picture-4.jpg

Tony Two-Cent
02-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Wow! :wow:

Great hunt, Joe! Love the Barber Dime and the Walker! :smitten:

Way to get a running start on those silver and indian head totals! Why do I get the feeling that many of us are going to have a banner year this year because we are able to get such an early start to the detecting season?

Congrats on the super finds! thumbsup01

Hook
02-03-2012, 06:37 PM
wow Joe, thats some pretty silver! gotta love early spring big silver like that! and with a IH kicker also...gotta give that hunt a 10! congrats man! :perfect10:

pulltabsteve
02-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Love the WLH Joe :perfect10: How deep? Awesome day of digging thumbsup01

JTGOLD
02-03-2012, 06:55 PM
very nice big silver and barber = a great day of hunting,wtg joe.

CyberSage
02-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Awwwwe mannnn! You know how to rub it in Joe. I started burying coins in my cat's litter box, because that's the only thing I can find that I can still dig in. lol Beautiful finds! What a great way to start out the year. Congratulations on a really good hunt.

Jack

POKIE73
02-03-2012, 07:21 PM
great finds can you belive it feb 3 and we are still able to get out good hunting dennis

randy
02-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Sweet digs man :clapping:, happydance02 and no reasonable groundhog saw its shadow yesterday <:, so here is to more of the same this winter.

starman2
02-03-2012, 07:27 PM
:omg: :wow: |:confused:) I bow down to your greatness! Thats about an Awsome WLH. And a great Barber. WTG!!

dave in iowa
02-03-2012, 08:55 PM
great finds Joe , i went out yesterday didnt find much , just cool to be out in feb.

skribnodsister
02-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Oh man <: Joe your killing me >:{ I'm going down in the basement and looking for a chisel and hammer! Superb hunting especially for only it only being February 3rd!!! Huge congrats on the WLH and Barber :perfect10: :perfect10:

Ill Digger
02-04-2012, 01:23 AM
First silver of the year and it's 1800's!
Oh boy folks 8/ I think we're in for another firestorm of Iowa silver flying outta the ground again here!
And silver #2 is a Walking Liberty half dollar!! :shocked03: :envious:
Way to kick off the new season!! thumbsup01
Congrats!! :grin:........... :thinkingabout: That did come from Iowa soil.....right? :eyebrow: lol

aloldstuff
02-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Joe, very nice keepers. Any Barber would make me happy but you topped it off with a WLH to boot. Congrats

Fire Fighter 43
02-04-2012, 08:38 AM
WTg Joe |:cheering: you have the start of a great year so far. This mild weather is working out great for you. Congrats.

jkress
02-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Why do I get the feeling that many of us are going to have a banner year this year because we are able to get such an early start to the detecting season?

I think you are right Tony. We really only had a 2-3 week shut down here. :shocked04: This is the first time I've ever been able to say I
have pulled silver in every month for twelve months straight.

gotta give that hunt a 10! congrats man! :perfect10:

Thank you Hook. I was quite pleased to see the WLH come up to the light of day.

Love the WLH Joe :perfect10: How deep? Awesome day of digging thumbsup01

Thanks Steve. The IH was deepest for the day at about 8 inches. The rest were right around the 6 inch mark.

very nice big silver and barber = a great day of hunting,wtg joe.

thumbsup01

Awwwwe mannnn! You know how to rub it in Joe.

Sorry Jack. :embarrassed: And the storm that rolled through your area yesterday probably isn't helping much either. :frozen:
Hang in there, you be digging soon enough.

great finds can you belive it feb 3 and we are still able to get out good hunting dennis

Thanks. No, it's hard to believe how this winter has gone... but no complaints here. lol

so here is to more of the same this winter.

You got that right. :beerbuddy:

Thats about an Awsome WLH. And a great Barber. WTG!!

Thank you starman2. I do like getting the coil over bigger silver. :smitten: Makes for a fun day.

just cool to be out in feb.

Definitely good to be out in February. thumbsup01 How's the ground in your area, soft?

Oh man <: Joe your killing me >:{ I'm going down in the basement and looking for a chisel and hammer! Superb hunting especially for only it only being February 3rd!!! Huge congrats on the WLH and Barber :perfect10: :perfect10:

lol Sorry about that Donna. :rolleyes: If the weather keeps up like this, you guys will be hunting very soon too. thumbsup01

First silver of the year and it's 1800's!

Actually that is my third Barber dime of 2012... but the WLH is my first of the year. <:
It should be a very fun year.

Joe, very nice keepers. Any Barber would make me happy but you topped it off with a WLH to boot. Congrats

Thanks Al. The WLH was the icing on the cake for me.

WTg Joe |:cheering: you have the start of a great year so far. This mild weather is working out great for you. Congrats.

Hopefully the luck will continue throughout the year. :yes:

Cheap Thrills
02-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Great finds and as always great photos . :perfect10:

angellionel
02-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Awesome finds Joe! |:cheering: It is great to be able to detect during this time of the year. :yes: And just think of what else is waiting for your coil to come visiting. :happydance01:

DirtFisher
02-06-2012, 12:34 AM
What an awesome hunt. And sounds like there could be more! :perfect10:

DennisH
02-06-2012, 06:37 AM
Congrats on the WLF!!! (It's beenway to long sience one of those has been found under my coil.) This weather is great but I shudder to think of what the pay back will be.

milco
02-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Just over a month in to the new year and you hit big silver, very nicely done!