PDA

View Full Version : A GOOD DEED & FEW HOUR CELLAR HOLE HUNT

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-26-2010, 07:48 PM
got a call today from a guy who lost his volkswagon laser cut key in the snow.$150 for them to cut a new one he said.anyways he picked me up.showed me the area near driveway he lost it.about 4 inches of snow.took me like 10 mins and bingo found it.he was happy as heck.
anyways there was a cellar hole near his house.i hunted it for 3 hrs and then he drove me home.
2 neat buttons.one is a tiny one piece no back mark.

the one i'd like to know about is this civil war era waterbury button co extra gilt back marked 2 piece button.i believe the letters on front are NHC any ideas?
dave

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-26-2010, 07:49 PM
MORE PICS

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-26-2010, 08:01 PM
MORE PICS

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-26-2010, 08:14 PM
George did you ever find out what that button was ya found at my site? the one that was in your lost pouch?

coinnut
02-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Hey Button Man, lol Nice group of buttons there. And I bet that guy was real glad he didn't have to dish out 150 bucks for a 2 minute laser cut. :yes: Seems like they hit that site pretty hard, but you got some relics from it. You beat the snow lol

George did you ever find out what that button was ya found at my site? the one that was in your lost pouch?

I think it was a Connecticut, but I don't remember for sure. Ask Dan, he remembers everything. ;) I looked at Albert's book for your button. The only match letter wise, was New Hampshire College, but the design didn't match. It may be from New Haven College, since that would be closer to your area, but just a wild guess. But probably a school or organization button of some sort. I bet it felt good to get out. :)

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Hey Button Man, lol Nice group of buttons there. And I bet that guy was real glad he didn't have to dish out 150 bucks for a 2 minute laser cut. :yes: Seems like they hit that site pretty hard, but you got some relics from it. You beat the snow lol

I think it was a Connecticut, but I don't remember for sure. Ask Dan, he remembers everything. ;) I looked at Albert's book for your button. The only match letter wise, was New Hampshire College, but the design didn't match. It may be from New Haven College, since that would be closer to your area, but just a wild guess. But probably a school or organization button of some sort. I bet it felt good to get out. :)

yeah he wanted to pay me .i said nah i appreciate ya letting me off at that cellar hole for awhile.he said ya sure? i said yeah man.no big deal! ;)
thanks for looking into the button.i was thinking new haven correctional or corrections maybe lol
i don't think there is a new haven college? i mean there's yale etc idk man. i hate when i can't identify something :confused:

coinnut
02-26-2010, 09:09 PM
I sent a picture of that button to a guy that deals in them and asked him if there is a reference site we could log onto and ID buttons, particularly Waterbury buttons. Thought maybe he might recognize it. We'll see if he gets back to me. It may be a correctional button, but it being old, there may have also been a New Haven College at some point. I'll try and Google History of New Haven College and see if something comes up.

P.S. No Luck with Google on New Haven College, but it may even be a railroad button?? I think there was a New Haven Company that was a railroad. Just some guesses.

angellionel
02-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Nice bunch of buttons, Dave. You sure are making the best of the bad weather. :)

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-27-2010, 12:25 AM
I sent a picture of that button to a guy that deals in them and asked him if there is a reference site we could log onto and ID buttons, particularly Waterbury buttons. Thought maybe he might recognize it. We'll see if he gets back to me. It may be a correctional button, but it being old, there may have also been a New Haven College at some point. I'll try and Google History of New Haven College and see if something comes up.

P.S. No Luck with Google on New Haven College, but it may even be a railroad button?? I think there was a New Haven Company that was a railroad. Just some guesses.

cool man thanks! i appreciate it! thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-27-2010, 12:27 AM
a guy on another forum posted this>>
Is it possible the C is actually a G? New Haven had an Infantry Regiment called the New Haven Grays.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-27-2010, 12:43 AM
raw war digger roger just sent me this.
[quote=raw-war-digger;35771]Hey Dave,

It looks to be CW era. I couldn't find it (looking in the Schools, Universities section in the Albert book). So I checked my McGuinn & Bazelon backmarks book......I need to know exactly what all is in the backmark before I can figure out a date (inculed any . dot(s), * star(s), 0 circle(s), etc).

I'm thinking the last letter might be G for Guard?

Great Find For Sure!!

Get Some More, Roger

i told him the backmark reads exactly like this
WATERBURY BUTTON CO *EXTRA*

waiting on his reply to see if this is indeed a new haven grays civil war button

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-27-2010, 12:54 AM
hey G!!!!!! is this your button? http://www.civilwarbuttons.com/usstatelist.htm
NEW Connecticut Staff. Super nice example! Scovill Mf'g Co,/Waterbury. 23mm $125.00

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-27-2010, 12:58 AM
woo hoo! i found it! http://www.civilwarbuttons.com/usstatelist.htm
mine is this!
us019 CT28 NEW New Haven Grays, *Extra.*/Quality. 23mm $75.00

Epi-hunter
02-27-2010, 01:39 AM
Wow!!! Very nice, congrats! thumbsup01

Ill Digger
02-27-2010, 02:41 AM
WOW ! Another killer civil war relic !
Awesome find Dave!!
Congrats :grin:

John M
02-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Looks like you had a very rewarding good deed done.Now when this weather breaks you got another spot to go to.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Looks like you had a very rewarding good deed done.How when this weather breaks you got another spot to go to.

thanks john! well i been to this spot previously.it has given up several buttons,a victorian sash buckle with a face in the middle,a 1845 large cent and a 1864 2 cent piece.oh and a live 20 MM anti-aicraft round rofl

sniffy
02-27-2010, 10:39 AM
nice buttons! Glad you got out..

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-27-2010, 03:14 PM
this was a story somebody sent me on the new haven grays>>>>>>At the outbreak of the Civil War, the Grays enlisted for a 90 day period of service as part of the 2nd Connecticut Infantry. They took part in the first major engagement of the Civil War, the Battle of Bull Run. It was this battle, which was a victory for the Confederate Forces, which the Grays saved the day for the union. Union Forces broke and ran, throwing down their weapons and fleeing in panic, while being attacked by the Confederates leaving the road to Washington, DC open to the enemy. However, the Grays led by CPT Alfred H. Terry held, and withdrew in an orderly fashion using covered fire to Leap Frog back, which cause the Confederate Leader, to think he was facing a superior well-trained force, to call off his attack. The unit took part in 19 battles during the Civil War, and at Gettysburg several monuments stand today in honor of those men and their deeds. Heroic Soldiers !

del
02-28-2010, 10:50 AM
great button Dave , very cool history lesson with that find thumbsup01. deffinately earned the good kharma after the key incident , your a credit to the hobby my friend . :yes:

I think it was a Connecticut, but I don't remember for sure. Ask Dan, he remembers everything. ;)

don't take this guys word Dave , i have no recollection of who he is or what he wants . :huh:

RickO
02-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Nice buttons and a good deed too... well done, HH RickO