PDA

View Full Version : cellar detecting in the snow today

del
02-27-2010, 07:04 PM
hello all this weeks episode started off at 5 am. with snow flurries most of the night an into tha morning , needles to say the roads were a little slick in spots :mad: and the G-man and i had a pre-cellar hole adrenalin rush when the jeep lost control :shocked04: :shocked04:( sometimes George likes to fall asleep so i get creative on waking him up lol ;). well we got to our destination in one piece lol lol and it was pretty as a postcard out side in them woods and we decided to hit a new area ( my idea ,it was a mill site with a cellar foundation very nearby) i wasn't there 10 minutes and pull out a 1757 King George II copper :shocked04: thumbsup01 ( yeah here we go ) . but for the next four to five hours just relics :confused: (Spoons, buttons an oxknob :bangahead01: odds and ends and a copper mans wedding band ) finally another copper :smitten: a very worn draped bust but i can just make out the date 1797 but i'll take it . later i get home and notice the one spoon has the Washington D.C. Capital on it . so i'll have to find some more info on it .hey thanks for looking .

Dan

sniffy
02-27-2010, 07:19 PM
VERY awesome coins! BUT that washington spoon is very very cool! you 2 sure do clean up sites! :twirlingeyes:

Epi-hunter
02-27-2010, 07:41 PM
You two are INSANE! lol I can't believe you go out in that weather. It make me freezing cold just to think about it! And at 5AM, yet.... :shocked04: :shocked04:

Great finds! Love the coppers, and the spoon. I really don't know how you two do it.

angellionel
02-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Did George leave imprints on the dashboard? :shocked04:stretcher:

Very nice coins and relics. Those old coppers must have warmed you up. ;)

John M
02-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Nice group of finds Dan.Sweet looking site pics with the snow.Stayed in today as yesterdays snow dumped 6-7 on me down this way.Hoping the snow is done for the year as well as the cold.How far did you guys travel today?Waiting to see what George got over as well.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-27-2010, 07:52 PM
ya done did good sensei teacher, master...bows to you :yes:
some awesome finds!!!!!! gotta get me a copper soon man! or i'm gonna go >> :crazy:
what do the reverses of those coppers look like?
is it too much to post a pic of the backs?
beautiful pics too dan! great job! thumbsup01

coinnut
02-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Hey everyone, just got done removing my finger imprints from Dan's dashboard rofl He sure doesn't let you sleep much. :rolleyes: The toilet paper must be for him :confused: lol lol That first picture doesn't do the scene justice. The snow was all over everything, just like a Christmas card lol Dan has finally woke up from the copper glum syndrome, now maybe he'll take it easy on me here :tongue: Come on Dave, it's your turn now :poke: Congrats on a great day Dan, 2 coppers for the kettle, some great relics. Great spoons!!! But you forgot to mention our pet dogs rofl :shocked04: :shocked04: I did OK today. NO COPPERS lol but I found one of the nicest Crotal bells I ever found. In super shape and it looks like a 2 piece seamed version. I think it's older than the usual ones we get. Some new lead, old lead, scrap lead. Pewter spoon, enough lighting parts to light Manhattan :huh: etc.. etc.. The D buckles are killing me, they must be cousins to the ox knob :crying02: My one and only real chance at a copper was the clad quarter that had that wire touching it. I almost went over it and had to remove the wire in order to get the quarter...lucky me lol Lots of wild life today, our 2 dogs :shocked04: some chasin' chipmunks, deer and wild turkey. Who needs the zoo :confused:

del
02-27-2010, 08:20 PM
You two are INSANE! lol I can't believe you go out in that weather. It make me freezing cold just to think about it! And at 5AM, yet.... :shocked04: :shocked04:

Great finds! Love the coppers, and the spoon. I really don't know how you two do it.

INSANE :confused: :huh:
i prefer the words competently challenged Angie :twirlingeyes: lol lol

Did George leave imprints on the dashboard? :shocked04:stretcher:

ah no . but next time i'll bring some toilet paper . rofl rofl :tongue:

Nice group of finds Dan.Sweet looking site pics with the snow.Stayed in today as yesterdays snow dumped 6-7 on me down this way.Hoping the snow is done for the year as well as the cold.How far did you guys travel today?Waiting to see what George got over as well.

thanks John , not much farther than usual

ya done did good sensei teacher, master...bows to you :yes:
some awesome finds!!!!!! gotta get me a copper soon man! or i'm gonna go >> :crazy:
what do the reverses of those coppers look like?
is it too much to post a pic of the backs?
beautiful pics too dan! great job! thumbsup01

thank you Dave , ya your due for one soon. the king George isn't too bad but the draped bust is , well a bust. :bangahead01:

del
02-27-2010, 08:49 PM
that is a very nice crotal bell George and a pretty good sized one too. yes i forgot about the two wolves or coy dogs but you saw'em this time :yes:. so i can safely say i'm not seeing things or crazy now , huh. we'll have to plan another trip there and travel up the road to look for even more sites. and yes the DFX is waking up from its winter slumber and starting to sniff out those coppers and so much for your curse . :tongue:

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-27-2010, 08:50 PM
nice relics G! yeah them D-buckles been gettin on my nerves lately too. all comes with the territory i guess?
the copper gods must be lookin down laughing...elbowin each other saying ha look at that signal he's gonna dig! he thinks he gotta copper.BA HA HA HA HA!!!!! rofl rofl
nice day out guys and hope your well wishes for me work in the copper dept! thumbsup01

John M
02-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Not a bad relic day George.Bunch of lantern parts and buckles shows the mill had some action.That bell looks like it has some size to it from the photo.don't think I have a numbered one in my collection .

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-27-2010, 08:54 PM
G go look at my thread from yesterday.i think i found the button some guy lost ,then you found ,then lost, then i found rofl

coinnut
02-27-2010, 08:56 PM
that is a very nice crotal bell George and a pretty good sized one too. yes i forgot about the two wolves or coy dogs but you saw'em this time :yes:. so i can safely say i'm not seeing things or crazy now , huh. we'll have to plan another trip there and travel up the road to look for even more sites. and yes the DFX is waking up from its winter slumber and starting to sniff out those coppers and so much for your curse . :tongue:

I Googled them dogs lol and after viewing pictures of wolves and coy dogs, I am pretty convinced it's a wolf or possibly a wolf coyote mix, but not the traditional coyote/dog mix.
And the curse is still on since you knew the sites were there but I actually found it, so you score big on my locations lol Get it :confused: The curse comes next weekend when you pick one of your other sites :yes:

coinnut
02-27-2010, 09:01 PM
nice relics G! yeah them D-buckles been gettin on my nerves lately too. all comes with the territory i guess?
the copper gods must be lookin down laughing...elbowin each other saying ha look at that signal he's gonna dig! he thinks he gotta copper.BA HA HA HA HA!!!!! rofl rofl
nice day out guys and hope your well wishes for me work in the copper dept! thumbsup01

You know it's a bad day when your first 3 solid copper readings are D buckles and a clad quarter. MY advice? Don't fight it, just give in and take your beating :bop: lol lol

G go look at my thread from yesterday.i think i found the button some guy lost ,then you found ,then lost, then i found rofl

I gotta try and find that button again (lost again) It's somewhere with my other 1000 buttons rofl

Not a bad relic day George.Bunch of lantern parts and buckles shows the mill had some action.That bell looks like it has some size to it from the photo.don't think I have a numbered one in my collection .

Thanks John. That Crotal bell is good size, I don't know how someone missed it right next to the hole :confused: It looks like a pretty old one. Well made though. I wish it had initials instead of No.4. Then I could tell who made it. But a good amount of relics found at a hit hole.

coinnut
02-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Here's a close up of the cuff link I found today. Can't make out all the letters since they were stamped incomplete and the edge is corroding away, but so far I have: BISHOP O? S? ASAPE?

del
02-27-2010, 09:42 PM
looks colonial to me heres a link to what it may be to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_of_St_Asaph

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Here's a close up of the cuff link I found today. Can't make out all the letters since they were stamped incomplete and the edge is corroding away, but so far I have: BISHOP O? S? ASAPE?

that is freakin nice!!!!!!!

coinnut
02-27-2010, 10:01 PM
looks colonial to me heres a link to what it may be to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_of_St_Asaph

That's probably what it is. I though the last letters were a E and a ?, but they could be one letter H. I wish I found the whole thing :rolleyes: Thank's for doing the leg work ;)

del
02-27-2010, 10:14 PM
That's probably what it is. I though the last letters were a E and a ?, but they could be one letter H. I wish I found the whole thing :rolleyes: Thank's for doing the leg work ;)

no problem , i was looking at that copper wedding band that i found and it has an 18k stamp on the inside :confused: go figure. and i'm getting a blank on the spoon even though its stamped Arnold mfg. co. on the back.

KirkPA
02-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Congrats to you, Dan, on two great coppers! It is good to see you back on the copper boards. You guys are already killing it and we haven't even started our season. :twirlingeyes:

That cellar hole looks prime for the picking. I see a Birch cent in your near future. Feel it, man, it will be under your coil. :grin:

Get ready for us, Dan, because we are going to be filming our adventures this year. We are all going to get our coppers and relics on film. It should be fun doing it and I hope you guys will enjoy the archives from the PA frontier. 8)

Kirk

del
02-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Congrats to you, Dan, on two great coppers!

Get ready for us, Dan, because we are going to be filming our adventures this year. We are all going to get our coppers and relics on film. It should be fun doing it and I hope you guys will enjoy the archives from the PA frontier. 8)

Kirk

thanks Kirk , after a couple of weekends its nice to put coppers into the pouch again :grin: .
a video of you three guys out in the fields of Pennsylvania should be very entertaining to watch to say the least , i know i'll be anxiously waiting to see it.

Dan

RickO
02-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Great finds guys... and a lot of work in the cold. Wolves? Well, they are moving south, we have them here in the Catskills, NYS now.... and no, they are NOT coyotes.. we have them too. These are bigger, and one was killed by a car right near my Mother's house - definitely a wolf. HH RickO

coinnut
02-28-2010, 06:01 PM
a video of you three guys out in the fields of Pennsylvania should be very entertaining to watch to say the least , i know i'll be anxiously waiting to see it.

Dan

I hope it's rated PG lol

del
03-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Great finds guys... and a lot of work in the cold. Wolves? Well, they are moving south, we have them here in the Catskills, NYS now.... and no, they are NOT coyotes.. we have them too. These are bigger, and one was killed by a car right near my Mother's house - definitely a wolf. HH RickO

hey Ricko , yeah they were deffinately bigger than coyotes or coy-dogs . a few weeks ago i saw one trying to run down a very good sized deer just a few hundered yards from where we saw these two . i felt like i was watching an episode of Mutual Ohmaha's wild kingdom lol lol