PDA

View Full Version : Tribe of Indians on Super Bowl Sunday

Tony Two-Cent
02-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Once again we were enjoying incredible weather here yesterday, so DaddyDigger and I decided to meet at the old park for some pre-Super Bowl metal detecting. It was sunny with very little wind, and the high temperature hit 50, just right for digging in the dirt!

I got there at about 8:00 a.m. and decided to hunt a sloped area near the entrance to the park. Dave showed up about 10 minutes later and opted to start hunting in a different area. Within 30 minutes of starting out I got a first for me, I found a 3 Indian Head spill! I had never even found two together before, so it was a lot of fun for me to find three together in a spill! I also found a Buffalo Nickel that I think might be dated 1913.

After several more sweeps along this sloped area and nothing but a couple of wheaties, I decided to head to a different area of the park, a sloped area behind one of the large pavilions. In this area I found another Indian Head and a 1919-D Mercury Dime. No SDHOS for me today! In this area I also found a very deep old button. I don't know anything about old buttons but Dave thought it might be from the Civil War? This park pre-dates the Civil War, so I guess it's possible.

After I covered this small area I then headed over to a spot near three mysterious enclosures. These are concrete curbs that form three side-by-side rectangles. The middle one is now filled with concrete and is used as a basketball court. The outer two are just filled with dirt and have grass growing in them. Maybe they used to be goldfish ponds or something? Anyway, near this area I found yet another Indian Head (number 5) and a couple more wheaties.

I then decided to head back to the sloped area at the park entrance to see if I missed anything. I ended up finding two more Indian Heads which gave me seven for the day! This was a new personal best for the most Indian Heads in one day, my previous best was four. I also found a sterling silver heart-shaped charm on my second sweep of this area. I have now pulled a total of 15 Indian Heads from this park, and I think Dave has found at least eleven.

By this time it was about 2:30 and time to head home and prepare for the Super Bowl festivities. I wish I had found more silver but I was thrilled with the Indian Heads!

My finds for the day:

The keepers:

The Indian Heads (one of them has a war injury):

I think the Buffalo might be a 1913 Variety II:

The silver pendant is marked Sterling but it is somewhat smooshed:

Here is the button. I can't see any writing on the back. Any opinions on age?

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Cheap Thrills
02-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Wow , that's some hunt and some great pictures . :perfect10: |:cheering:

zachattack
02-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Excellent!

I would be thrilled with just a single Indian Head at this point! hahaha

milco
02-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Awesome hunt Tony! Great IH's and I think you have your self a Civil War era general service button, but I'm no expert!

JTGOLD
02-06-2012, 11:06 PM
nice silver and must be left overs from the french and Indian war :grin: great hunt Tony,wtg.

DirtFisher
02-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Wow! :wow: What an awesome hunt! :perfect10: :perfect10: Congrats! :clapping:

jkress
02-06-2012, 11:46 PM
<: <: <: Look at all those beautiful IH's. :smitten:
This is a fantastic hunt Tony. I'd love to have one like that. :drool:

Congrats on your new IH record hunt. Add the Merc and Buffalo and I'd be doing the :happydance01: all the way home.
I'm not a CW button expert... but the one you found looks like the real deal from my understanding. :shocked04:

Super hunt! One to remember for sure. :beerbuddy:

CODY
02-07-2012, 03:48 AM
:wow: WTG Tony. Very nice hunt. You find IH's like I find Mem's. Great finds. :perfect10: Congrats. HH

aloldstuff
02-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Tony, great hunting. Your one day total of IH's beat my whole of last year. Huge congrats . |:confused:). Nice merc and sterling charm.

randy
02-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Wow, 7 IHs in one day is amazing. :clapping: Congrats :perfect10:

starman2
02-07-2012, 11:39 AM
:perfect10:! Nice tribe of indians. Led by the God Mercury, riding an old Buffalo. Way to Go!! Very nice park you got there. I'm sure it holds alot more treasures :clapping: :clapping: :cheering:

Ill Digger
02-07-2012, 02:37 PM
I think I would've stayed and detected rather than watch the game! :drool: :yes: lol
You were having a awesome day! Smooshed or not the pendent is a nice little bonus!!
It's always nice to avoid the SDHOS how ever it has to happen! lol But you scored a merc to boot! thumbsup01
But 7 IH's ?!?! :shocked04: Thats great! :clapping: 5 in one day is my best. And a buff! :happydance01:
Great pocketful of oldies! :drool: thumbsup01
Congrats! :grin:

Fire Fighter 43
02-07-2012, 05:21 PM
:wow: nice hunt Tony, that is znice bunch of Indians WTG.

angellionel
02-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Awesome hunt Tony! :happydance01: And what lovely Indian Head cents. :smitten: That is a nice assortment of finds. :yes:

Full Metal Digger
02-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Your finds sure did photograph nice Tony! Hard to tell about the Buffalo nickel. Could be 13 or 15. If it's a 13, it's a type II. The 1913 I found last year had no date but the buffalo on the back was standing on a mound. I'm pretty sure that button is a CW General Service button. You found it in the same area I found the two fired musket balls. Congrats on some awesome hunting. You are a very good detectorist. You swing slow and methodical and listen for the slightest signals. That's why you keep finding such a variety of finds. I ended up going out Monday to a local park for a couple hours and got a few wheaties and a 1946 Rosie. So at least I didn't have the drive of shame two days in a row! :white:usaflag::

POKIE73
02-07-2012, 09:06 PM
nice bundh of finds the indians look to be in good shape plus some silver and some good weather what more can you ask for dennis

Tony Two-Cent
02-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks, everyone! Here's some video I shot during this hunt. I didn't get every find on video but I did get most of the Indian Heads.

Seven Indian Heads with my Minelab E-Trac February 5, 2012 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJiY3NjnojY&feature=youtu.be#ws)

mike l
02-08-2012, 12:36 AM
What a great hunt Tony, thanks for the video :beerbuddy:

Hook
02-09-2012, 05:31 AM
such a good hunt! gotta love a pouch full of oldies with silver on the side!
i am so jealous of you northern guys , but not enough for this old cajun to move up there! lol

Bell-Two
02-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Nice hunt I truly liked the video keep it up what a nice tribe of Indians that is!

coop
02-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup01