PDA

View Full Version : Dig it up. Fill it back in!

zachattack
02-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Has anyone ever hunted a place that had sloppy, un-filled holes everywhere from someone else hunting the area?

I found several of these this past weekend. This aggravates me to no end! >8)

The bad thing is, I could get the blame! The same thing could happen with anyone that swings a detector!

(I might do a youtube video that shows how to fill in a hole! Sad isn't it?!?!)

CODY
02-07-2012, 03:50 AM
Gives us all a bad name.

midas
02-07-2012, 08:07 AM
It's been going on like that for my 40 years of detecting. There are pigs everywhere that have no consideration for other peoples property. I don't know if they are aware they must fill in their holes, but don't. Or if they think they can destroy and it's ok. I saw a guy at the beach a few years back, he was leaving holes up to a foot deep. I told him he must fill the holes back in. His reply, &quot:daydream:h, you mean I have to fill the holes? What a moron!!!!!!!

The best you can do is admonish these people when you see them. Or cover up their damage, so you don't get blamed.

There are lots of parks that have been closed for metal detecting because of the destruction by the ignoramus's.

zachattack
02-07-2012, 12:43 PM
It's aggravating.....I have actually ran my detector over the dirt on a few occasions and found the trash/junk that they left. >:\

Fire Fighter 43
02-07-2012, 05:16 PM
All we can do is keep preaching the Code of Ethics and if we see the culprits in action confront them in a positive way. I would think most of them just do not know any better and would be glad to do it if they were educated on the proper way to dig and the condition to leave a site.

zachattack
02-07-2012, 09:34 PM
OK....that does it!

I am gonna do a video on the code of ethics! >:tongue:

Digger
02-26-2012, 10:33 PM
I think our little furry friends are responsible for allot of this too. They like to roam at night and if they come upon ground thats been disturbed such as a plug thats been filled in, they will most certainly investigate. Im referring to skunks,raccoons, opossums and even foxes and coyotes. They seem to be able to smell the fresh dirt thats been dug up and the first thing they do is dig it up looking for a free meal.But they never seem to get blamed for it. I know for a fact because they have dug some of my plugs that i neatly replaced while detecting. But i also know that there are slobs who leave their holes unfilled which is not right at all !!! But i think we should give some of the blame to those furry little creatures of the night !!!

aloldstuff
02-27-2012, 11:28 AM
I think our little furry friends are responsible for allot of this too. They like to roam at night and if they come upon ground thats been disturbed such as a plug thats been filled in, they will most certainly investigate. Im referring to skunks,raccoons, opossums and even foxes and coyotes. They seem to be able to smell the fresh dirt thats been dug up and the first thing they do is dig it up looking for a free meal.But they never seem to get blamed for it. I know for a fact because they have dug some of my plugs that i neatly replaced while detecting. But i also know that there are slobs who leave their holes unfilled which is not right at all !!! But i think we should give some of the blame to those furry little creatures of the night !!!

Good point. I have experienced this at a site that only I have permission to detect. I had to tell the property owner that the critters are redigging my plugs.

dave1000
03-20-2012, 03:00 PM
I have another question as to how large a plug people normally dig. I usually cut a plug that is 4-5 square, but I've noticed in some of the videos that people seem to be digging holes big enough to plant a tree. That's ok if you're out in the woods, but I think in a local park you would start to gather the attention of local officials. Thoughts?

CODY
03-20-2012, 03:38 PM

I agree. I got permission to hunt this one spot. The owner called me a few days later wanting to know if I was going to come back and fill the holes. I went back and sho nuff, some kind of animal had dug a few of my plugs up. I don't know of anyway to prevent this. Unless you tell the property owner to be on the lookout for it and call you if it happens.

CODY
03-20-2012, 03:41 PM
I have another question as to how large a plug people normally dig. I usually cut a plug that is 4-5 square, but I've noticed in some of the videos that people seem to be digging holes big enough to plant a tree. That's ok if you're out in the woods, but I think in a local park you would start to gather the attention of local officials. Thoughts?

I think this mainly depends on two things. How well you can pinpoint with your detector, and the signal you are getting. I know I will be a little more careful and maybe dig a little bigger plug if I get a dollar signal compared to a penny.