PDA

View Full Version : First 2012 silver - digging Super Bowl Sunday

Ytcoinshooter
02-07-2012, 11:55 AM
A short hunt on Super Bowl Sunday, less than 3 hours. Back at the site I was at about a week ago that gave up the red clad incl the '95 clad half. The soil has twice mineralization of my back yard, coming in at well over 7%. nothing except silver and can slaw escapes the the red iron uglies. It didn't start out good. I ripped a hole in my Motor Company branded cargo pants when I caught them on a sharp burr from a chain link fence I brushed by at the site. Dummy-me, thinking I'd be comfy in looser fitting pants, all I got for that idea was a draft high on the leg - too high up for comfort on a breezy cold day.
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af176/idigther/d31c50e5.jpg
I was mostly cherry picking my signals to dig. I did go after some lower conductors after I got the '41 dime,figuring I made had my goal for the visit. The 1969 Jamaican 5 cent read low, well below nickel. I was hoping for a ring by digging that. The coin is copper-nickel and the planchette matches our cent for size. I did manage one corroded '45 wheat cent. Except for my torn pants I'd consider it a successful outing just because the soil wasn't frozen and I was able to coin hunt in February.
I was using the V3i, gain = 8, all metal sense = 76, disc sense = 92, filter 5kHz high pass, lock trac. Revovery 80 and using the stock 10 DD.
I'm finding the signal frequency bars during pinpoint have been very good determining the alloy range before I dig.
The thing that looks like an aluminum knob or cap was a solid 8 down and sang out loudly like a coin / round signal showing a quarter range vdi. I have icons off. The pinpoint bars clearly eliminated the chance it was silver. 2.5 kHz very short, with the 7.5 kHz frequency barely edging out the 22.5 kHz.
Nothing remarkable about the good targets, just satisfaction that I'm learning how to tune & understand the new tool I'm swinging. I'm getting adjusted to how slow I must go compared to past whites units. Guess it's best and I have to go as slow or slower with my BBS unit.
HH!
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af176/idigther/48c322ba.jpg

angellionel
02-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Learning what our machines whisper to us is what will make each hunt a more successful one. thumbsup01 Nice shot of the merc in the soil. :clapping: Not a bad hunt at all. :yes:

CyberSage
02-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks for sharing the detail on your settings Yt. Looks like you are in for a great year with the V3i. Very nice hunt. Very much appreciate you sharing your hunts with us. Until my ground thaws this is the next best thing to swing'in my v3! :yes:

Jack