PDA

View Full Version : Barber And Indian Head Cent Spill

angellionel
02-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Well, other than a sprinkling this morning, the snow that was supposed to fall in our area today did not materialize. 8/ Since I had thought that it would be nasty out, I took my car in for routine maintenance, after which I took care of other things around the house. Later in the day, as I'm sitting down at my computer while staring out the window, I start to think that I still have a bit of time to swing the coil. :thinkingabout: It didn't take much convincing. :cheesysmile:

I wanted to make the best of the time I had available, so I headed to a nearby small town square instead of the green I hit yesterday (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?8422-11-Silver-Coins-2-Coppers). I had pulled over a dozen Indian Head cents and a good amount of silver coins from the square during previous hunts, so I was hoping to hit on an old coin or two this time around as well. I took my time working a small section of the square, gridding it from different directions, and the effort paid off handsomely. :happydance01: Two hours later I had in my pouch five silver coins, three Indian Head cents, a V nickel, and several wheat cents.

I had one very nice coin spill, where I dug the 1904 Barber quarter, the 1905 Barber dime, two Indian Head cents, and the V nickel.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2012/February/coinspill_021112.jpg

The Barber quarter is in great condition. :loveit: It is my third consecutive Barber quarter in as many hunts. :happydance01:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2012/February/1904_barberquarter_obv_021112.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2012/February/1904_barberquarter_rev_021112.jpg

The five silver coins.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2012/February/5_silvercoins_021112.jpg

The three Indian Head cents are dated 1899, 1905, and 1906. Several of the wheat cents are dated in the teens.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2012/February/ihandwheatcents_021112.jpg

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone!

Tony Two-Cent
02-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Uh oh, Captain Coinspill has some competition! :shocked04: lol

That coin spill is the stuff dreams are made of, Angel! :smitten:

You are certainly on a roll with the Barber Quarters, and that one is simply gorgeous! I love the spot on the back where you can tell another coin was next to it. I would be doing the happy dance for a week if I found a spill like that! :happydance01:

Most of your average hunts would be a Hunt of the Year for me! I'm very glad to see you posting these great finds again, they are so inspirational! Keep it up!
thumbsup01

POKIE73
02-11-2012, 09:55 PM
great hunt that quater really stands out looks like you made the best out of a short hunt congrats dennis

JTGOLD
02-11-2012, 11:11 PM
thats an awsome hunt and very nice finds, thumbsup01 |:cheering: thumbsup01 |:cheering:

Cheap Thrills
02-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Great coin spill find !! That Barber Quarter is super nice .

Ill Digger
02-12-2012, 01:50 AM
:wow: Wow! Threee hunts and threee Barber quarters! :envious:
And I'd say this is the cream of the crop too! :drool: :clapping: She's a beauty! :yes:
Great hunt!
Congrats! :grin:

I had one very nice coin spill, where I dug the 1904 Barber quarter, the 1905 Barber dime, two Indian Head cents, and the V nickel.
This is perfect! Maybe yours was different. But how would you describe this signal before you dug it Angel? Were the conductive numbers hanging around / bouncing between 34 to 40ish? Did it even get as high as Co. 40?:->
Some of the coinspills I've gotten into that have had a nickle or two buried in with them. The nickle(s) seems to keep the Co#s down. With maybe just a flash of a 40 something once or twice. But generally hanging around in the mid 30's.

CODY
02-12-2012, 04:08 AM
:wow: :wow: :wow: I can't think of anything else to say!!!!!! |:cheering:

dave in iowa
02-12-2012, 05:02 AM
You are amazing angel

|:cheering:

midas
02-12-2012, 06:04 AM
Incredible. I would date the pocket spill circa 1917. A lot of money back then. The person musta went crazy looking for it.
Angel, you have to take a coin grading course. great shape, a beauty, etc. I can see this on the 2x2 after the date.
I would grade the quarter and dime as AU. Is that mint luster on the dime?

You must have been disappointed on not getting more Indian Heads on that trip? lol lol

two_bit_digger
02-12-2012, 08:40 AM
wow!! Your patience paid off well. Congrats on digging up all of that silver, especially the sweet looking Barber!!
Very nice coin spill...that's a month worth of finds for me.

angellionel
02-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Uh oh, Captain Coinspill has some competition! :shocked04: lol

That coin spill is the stuff dreams are made of, Angel! :smitten:

You are certainly on a roll with the Barber Quarters, and that one is simply gorgeous! I love the spot on the back where you can tell another coin was next to it. I would be doing the happy dance for a week if I found a spill like that! :happydance01:

Most of your average hunts would be a Hunt of the Year for me! I'm very glad to see you posting these great finds again, they are so inspirational! Keep it up!
thumbsup01

lol lol

I think I have reached my Barber quarter allowance for the year. lol When I fist picked up the quarter and noticed the stain on the back, I knew that there was going to be at least another coin in that hole. :loveit: That is a great feeling, especially when the indication is that it will be an old one. :smitten:

great hunt that quater really stands out looks like you made the best out of a short hunt congrats dennis

thats an awsome hunt and very nice finds, thumbsup01 |:cheering: thumbsup01 |:cheering:

Great coin spill find !! That Barber Quarter is super nice .

Thank you guys! :beerbuddy: I appreciate the comments. They do make for fun posts. :yes:

:wow: Wow! Threee hunts and threee Barber quarters! :envious:
And I'd say this is the cream of the crop too! :drool: :clapping: She's a beauty! :yes:
Great hunt!
Congrats! :grin:
This is perfect! Maybe yours was different. But how would you describe this signal before you dug it Angel? Were the conductive numbers hanging around / bouncing between 34 to 40ish? Did it even get as high as Co. 40?:->
Some of the coinspills I've gotten into that have had a nickle or two buried in with them. The nickle(s) seems to keep the Co#s down. With maybe just a flash of a 40 something once or twice. But generally hanging around in the mid 30's.

Yeah, she is a beauty. :smitten:

Yes, on the E-Trac coin spills tend to be be all over the place with the Fe numbers, and the Co number does remain lower that what would be expected for coins like quarters. In this case it remained mostly in the Indian Head and wheat cent range, but with a few spikes upward. The tone was inconsistent but steady. :yes:

:wow: :wow: :wow: I can't think of anything else to say!!!!!! |:cheering:

You are amazing angel

|:cheering:

Thank you guys! :beerbuddy:

Incredible. I would date the pocket spill circa 1917. A lot of money back then. The person musta went crazy looking for it.
Angel, you have to take a coin grading course. great shape, a beauty, etc. I can see this on the 2x2 after the date.
I would grade the quarter and dime as AU. Is that mint luster on the dime?

You must have been disappointed on not getting more Indian Heads on that trip? lol lol

Hey buddy, lay off our vernacular language. :bop: They are our very own detectorist expressions. lol lol Yes, I too think the coin would grade as AU. :yes:

It certainly was a lot of money to lose back then. :shocked01: And yes, I really was disappointed at not finding more Indian Head cents. rofl

wow!! Your patience paid off well. Congrats on digging up all of that silver, especially the sweet looking Barber!!
Very nice coin spill...that's a month worth of finds for me.

Thanks! thumbsup01 That was a fun coin spill for sure. :yes:

DirtFisher
02-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Just amazing! :perfect10:

starman2
02-12-2012, 01:05 PM
:perfect10: :clapping: :clapping: :cheering: Simply an outstanding hunt! You are the King |:confused:)! Congrats on an unbelieveable hunt! |:cheering:

Ill Digger
02-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Yes, on the E-Trac coin spills tend to be be all over the place with the Fe numbers, and the Co number does remain lower that what would be expected for coins like quarters. In this case it remained mostly in the Indian Head and wheat cent range, but with a few spikes upward. The tone was inconsistent but steady. :yes:
Yep :yes: Thats pretty consistent description of the way it's been with my experiences too.

aloldstuff
02-12-2012, 02:42 PM
WOW that Barber quarter is in fantastic shape. a real beauty, congrats on another pile of silver and all your keepers.

Fire Fighter 43
02-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Congrats on another great hunt and a beutifull looking quarter. |:cheering:

mike l
02-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Nice hunt Angel, love the Barber quarter :clapping:

Snapolson
02-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Just AMAZING! :clapping: Congrats of the nice Barber and others!

CyberSage
02-13-2012, 08:19 AM
WOW! You are definitely on a roll Angel. That is one beautiful Barber Quarter for sure. :smitten: Congratulations on another great hunt. It's so frozen and snowy here in Colorado that It will be awhile before I get out again. :frozen: Until then I will just have to read your post and dream.

tanacat
02-13-2012, 10:21 AM
:clapping: :happydance01: |:confused:)

Great finds Angel!!! I always enjoy seeing what you pull from the earth... and rivers, lakes and streams of course lol