PDA

View Full Version : 2 COLONIAL COPPERS & COLONIAL SILVER

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-11-2012, 09:08 PM
we were supposed to take a drive down & hook up with merc & charlives but the impending snowstorm put a squash to any travel plans on our end.woke up at 8 am looked out the window and not a flake of snow on the ground >{ >:{
contiplating what to do.. I set out to go back to the CT militia button site.
i almost walked right past the site planning to spend some time at one further up.but,a little voice :crazy: I guess you can say said give it another go. thumbsup01
This time instead of going with my usual Jewelry/beach mode on the XLT I went in relic mode bumped up the pre-amp gain and max sensitivity and started swingin.all iron sounds great in this mode and i dug a handful of it today.in a small creek bed i got a decent signal and out pops colonial silver.worn badly it's the same diameter as a one reale but the bust outline is different.can anyone help id it? :dontknow:
nabbed 2 coppers deep.one is definitely a Connecticut as i saw the AU in Auctori on the left side of obverse.the 2nd one not sure if it's a KG II? not much lettering is visible.also a tombac button.
I guess I didn't pound the snot out of this site as I thought after my last hunt and was ready to retire it.what a difference in depth using this program

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-11-2012, 09:10 PM
more pics

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-11-2012, 09:11 PM
last pics

Merc
02-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Nice job Dave!! Glad to see you made it out. You did better there than you would have here. lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Nice job Dave!! Glad to see you made it out. You did better there than you would have here. lol

thanks Brandon.did Dan end up making the trek down there?

skrapman
02-11-2012, 09:39 PM
not much to go on for the silver, but nice hunt I'm sure your glad you went back. wtg |:cheering:

pulltabsteve
02-11-2012, 09:45 PM
It always pays to listen to the little voices in your head ;) Great finds as usual Dave thumbsup01 Love the site! Glad the new settings are working for you :clapping:

Tony Two-Cent
02-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Wonderful finds, Dave! That silver piece is a real mystery. I hope someone can identify it!

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Wonderful finds, Dave! That silver piece is a real mystery. I hope someone can identify it!

thanks! hoepfully Dan can ID it

del
02-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Dave it looks very close to the king Charles II bust .

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Dave it looks very close to the king Charles II bust .

thanks Dan so...what date range is that? and what country? :confused:
I broke into the 1600's?
http://www.petitioncrown.com/CHARLES_II_COINAGE.html

del
02-11-2012, 10:24 PM
thanks Dan so...what date range is that? and what country? :confused:

British coin , 1660 to 1667 but i'm not 100% thats what the coin is.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-11-2012, 10:32 PM
British coin , 1660 to 1667 but i'm not 100% thats what the coin is.

I think it is as you can see the crosses in the top of the shield and the R is just to the right of it

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-11-2012, 10:36 PM
is the copper a KGII?

del
02-11-2012, 10:42 PM
it also look like this William III sixpence , yeah it looks more like this one and not the one Iron Patch posted in the other forum . i do believe its a William the III Dave as it looks right .

is the copper a KGII?

no its a KGIII and maybe a counterfiet too.

Tony Two-Cent
02-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Just from looking at the photos, I believe you've nailed it, Dan! It definitely looks like the William III sixpence, you can even see parts of the letters LMV at the 10 o'clock position on Dave's coin.

Amazing! :clapping:

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-11-2012, 11:27 PM
it also look like this William III sixpence , yeah it looks more like this one and not the one Iron Patch posted in the other forum . i do believe its a William the III Dave as it looks right .

no its a KGIII and maybe a counterfiet too.

yep that's it! thanks dan! 1600's baby! woo hoo! finally! the KG III has a bad rotated reverse too Dan.like real bad lol

OxShoeDrew
02-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Congrats on the 17th century. :wow:
One of these days we'll hunt together. |:cheering:

pulltabsteve
02-11-2012, 11:43 PM
DAVE! DAVE! DAVE!!!!! :perfect10: |:confused:) :clapping: :omg: Big Congratulations to you!!! :perfect10:

Merc
02-12-2012, 05:56 AM
Woohoo 1600's baby!!!! Sweet Dave! Glad to see you braved blizzard conditions!! rofl

Fire Fighter 43
02-12-2012, 03:13 PM
:wow: Congrats on some nice old coins WTG

del
02-12-2012, 09:11 PM
hey Dave i agree with IP that this is an old traditional love token with the way its purpossely bent at opposite ends like that and its incredibly worn apperance . its a very cool and personal item my friend :clapping: :clapping:

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-12-2012, 11:25 PM
hey Dave i agree with IP that this is an old traditional love token with the way its purpossely bent at opposite ends like that and its incredibly worn apperance . its a very cool and personal item my friend :clapping: :clapping:

thanks Dan! 1st thought was a worthless piece of silver .and to have a new and interesting twist come out of this is very interesting.
in case the other members are wondering what this is all about. here is a reply I received below.
Yep William111 Bender Love Token...Bent as a Bender love token then subsequently they could straighten out and re-used as currency, great find for over there

Bender” love token. A male would physically bend a coin in front of his intended sweetheart (not an easy thing to do) as a mark of the strength of his love. If the woman accepted his advances, she would treasure the love token. If not, the love token would be discarded. The assumption is that the relationship didn’t happen. These love tokens are usually sixpences so we can infer that the man was well-to-do based on his choice of coinage.
http://www.adrianmorrisantiques.com/...r-love-tokens/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F466-1679-...item3cc197e391

aloldstuff
02-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Well after reading this whole thread, HUGE congrats on the 1600's. Dan is a miracle worker, being able to ID the piece. Very nice hunting, always listen to the little voices in your head. I do....but there are so many of them...

Sal66
02-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Hey nice finds ! The Coppers always, to me anyway, seem to have more detail uncleaned. Also that's strange with a stamp on the rim of the silver. I have piece of silver in the same condition but it's very thin, probably a 1/2 reale. Yours probably is at least a 1 reale . Silver is silver and with the prices the way they are that could be a good candidate for selling to be melted . That's definitely your choice though, no disrespect meant .
:)

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Hey nice finds ! The Coppers always, to me anyway, seem to have more detail uncleaned. Also that's strange with a stamp on the rim of the silver. I have piece of silver in the same condition but it's very thin, probably a 1/2 reale. Yours probably is at least a 1 reale . Silver is silver and with the prices the way they are that could be a good candidate for selling to be melted . That's definitely your choice though, no disrespect meant .
:)

I would never sell this to be melted.for a dollar or 2? nah!