PDA

View Full Version : Looking for lost rings.

CODY
02-12-2012, 04:31 AM
Here is a little story that happened yesterday. While at work I got called into the PD to do a larceny report. Upon arrival I meet with an 88 Y.O. lady. Seems she had removed her two rings while cooking and laid them on the kitchen counter. (one appraised at $21,000, the other at $8,000) About an hour later she realized she didn't have them on and went to get them and they were gone. No one else in the house but her and the cat. So I figure either she has put them somewhere and can't remember, or the cat is playing with them somewhere. Anyway. The grand daughter is with her. She asks me if I know anyone with a MD. She says the house has a lot of thick rugs and carpets. She says that they were thinking about renting one. I tell her I just happen to know someone who has one. I pull mine out of ny truck and follow them back to the house. We search all the rooms in the house with no luck. The lady was very grateful for me trying. Her house is over 100 years old. I didn't ask her right then because she was upset over her rings. But I will be checking back with her later. I don't think there will be a problem with her letting me search her property. Hey, grab every opertunity!

POKIE73
02-12-2012, 07:35 AM
i did something very similar to that and ened up getting permission for 3 house in a row like you said cody dont miss a oppurtunity dennis

Lowjiber
02-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Here's something that happened in '08.

So I'm sitting around the local MD shop in San Jose, California one day with the rest of the liars and this guy (Troy) comes in to return a rented Ace 250. The dealer asks him if he found his ring. He said he searched for it, but it's gone forever. Seems as though he was driving down the freeway and saw a stray kitten cross the road and run up into the bushes. Being a typical California softhearted fool, he stops his car and went up the hill to save the poor thing. lol

When he reaches in the heavy brush to retrieve the kitten, it bit him badly and he began to bleed profusely. He tried to shake the blood off his left hand while holding the kitten by the tail with his right and his new Tungsten wedding ring went flying. Returning home with his hand bandaged, he didn't tell his wife about the ring for fear she would think he was an idiot (his words). lol

Anyhooo...he sneaks out; rents a metal detector; and tries to find it...without success. By now, I'm rolling on the couch laughing. I told him, Me and Warren (another MD liar) here will find it for you. Told him to meet us at the shop at ten o'clock the following morning, because he was gonna drive in case the CHP's decided to give us a ticket for parking on the freeway...he agreed.

Off we go the following morning...Warren with a DFX and me with a MXT and a brand new 6x9 DD coil. The night before, I had researched the conductivity of Tungsten to anticipate the VDI. The junk-filled hillside was rocky and had about a 30 degree slope of gravel, brambles, and bushes. We hit it hard while I had Troy doing visuals down by the guard rails, etc.

After about an hour, I declared a smoke break for Warren & myself. Troy comes up and says, Well, we've searched for about an hour. Ready to go back? I calmly looked him in the eye and said, To you, it's a ring. To me and Warren here, it's braggin rights. NO, we're not going back to that shop full of old salts without that ring on your finger...we'll never hear the end of it. lol

Ten minutes after smoke break, I get a solid +29 while lying on my belly to stick the coil under a bush. I had Troy pull up the bush while I crawled back with the SunRay. Under the dead brush needles (about an inch) was his ring...on edge. I though he was gonna cry. Anyway, sometimes you just gotta say NO!!! He was searchin. We wanted to do some findin. :rolleyes:

Below is Troy with the ring.

Epi-hunter
02-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Great stories... John, I remember you telling us that story a few years ago lol I'll bet he doesn't rescue kittens anymore rofl

Cody, could the rings have gone down the drain? It's also possible she actually put them somewhere else and forgot where. I suppose it's possible that the cat ate them too. I have even heard stories about mice being attracted to shiny objects and taking them to their nest (although two rings in a short time period might be a bit much). I hope she finds them and that you can eventually detect the site thumbsup01

Fire Fighter 43
02-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Did you detect the cat? Great story, sorry she did not her rings. Good luck on your future hunt of the property.

CODY
02-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Great stories... John, I remember you telling us that story a few years ago lol I'll bet he doesn't rescue kittens anymore rofl

Cody, could the rings have gone down the drain? It's also possible she actually put them somewhere else and forgot where. I suppose it's possible that the cat ate them too. I have even heard stories about mice being attracted to shiny objects and taking them to their nest (although two rings in a short time period might be a bit much). I hope she finds them and that you can eventually detect the site thumbsup01

Yep, I pulled both traps from the kitchen sink.

jcbdc
02-12-2012, 10:56 PM
I agree with fire fighter check the cat. He may have swallowed them. Think Cat Burgler!! They will bat things around a lot. No telling where they could be. Also check vacumn bag. My wife would not allow God into a dirty house. :thinkingabout:

CyberSage
02-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Finding someone's lost ring for them is a great feeling. Keep after it Cody, you will find them. Sooner or later I think we all get our chance to be a hero, or a liar for that matter. lol Great story John! Not to hijack your thread Cody, but here is another lost ring story for you. This happened to me in 2007...

A Very Special First Gold Ring

As Mondays go, it started out pretty normal. I was on my way to my first service call. I have my own business that caters to small business IT and network administration needs. In other words, I am a computer geek. My cell phone rang and, it was my wife. She told me about… and get this… a co-worker’s neighbor’s friend… who lost her wedding band in a local park over the weekend. I was given a phone number and name and asked if I could help. I made the phone call and a woman with a heavy British accent answered the phone. She was a little unsure at first of who I was, and how I knew about her lost ring. Eventually she gained trust of the phone call and told me of the weekends trials and tribulations. We made arrangements to meet at the park in a couple of hours. I finished my service call and stopped back by the house and grabbed my gear. As I pulled into the parking lot and climbed out of the car with my detector, a woman approached stuck out her hand and introduced herself. Joann was very upset about the loss of her wedding band. She explained how the day before she was hitting a volleyball back and forth with her husband in the grassy area next to a playground where their two children played. She wore 3 rings on her ring finger, an engagement ring, an eternity ring and finally her wedding band. She said all at once as she slapped at the ball with an open hand, all 3 rings flew off her hand. They quickly recovered 2 of the rings but the wedding band was nowhere to be found. Her voice saddened as she continued her story. They hunted the rest of the afternoon; her husband remained and hunted until dark.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/park.jpg

I turned on the DFX and left the headphones unplugged so she could hear as I explained how it worked. She stayed very close as I swept the area where she found the first 2 rings. The DFX let out with a groan and she became very excited. I pinpointed and pulled up a pull-tab from the thatch of the grass. She told me that when her husband came home the night before after hunting until dark he had tried to console her. Like a true husband he had offered to melt down his heavy wedding band and make 2 smaller rings. This way they both could still share a ring from their wedding day. We continued to talk and search for about 15 minutes finding a penny and several pull-tabs. I dug everything in the area just in case. Just as we approached an area behind where she was originally standing I received a solid VDI of 34 and a solid line on the Signograph. I pinpointed and knelt down to look in the grass. Pressed into the mud and covered by a clump of grass was a ring of gold. I held up the ring and smiled... Joann cried. I stood up and she wrapped her arms around me and gave me a big hug. The tears in her eyes and the smile on her face are something I will never forget. She wiped her eyes and put the ring back on her finger. She said she thought she would never see it again, and that it would be just a memory. Then… Joann cried some more. She wanted to give me a reward; I said a few pictures would do. She consented.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/WeddingRing2.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/WeddingRing.jpg

We shared the moment a little longer, she expressed her thanks and we said goodbye. My first gold ring will be a special one for me. I returned home and as I was putting away my gear I looked down at my collection of found Silver rings. They looked different to me somehow. I tried to visualize the faces of the people they once belonged to and, I had to stop and wonder...

had someone’s tears watered the grass where they lay buried.

Keep Swing,in
Jack

CODY
02-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Great story Jack. Here is a picture of the first and only gold ring I have ever found. Belongs to a friends brother in law. He lost it at a ball field while coaching a girls softball team. They looked for it all afternoon and into the night. Came back the next day and looked some more with no luck. My friend called me. I went and in 15 minutes had it in my hand. I didn't get a hug, Haha, but did get a hand shake and an offer of a reward which I turned down. It does do ones heart good.

aloldstuff
02-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Cody, great story. Please keep us posted as to the ending. If I had lost $29,000 in rings I would be in a tizzy.

CyberSage
02-13-2012, 01:54 PM
That's a nice ring Cody. I bet they were happy to see it again. Good job!

BOWSER
02-29-2012, 08:16 PM
while we are talking about rings, i was quite surprised earlier this year about a particular post about not diggin in the nickle range, I have found 4 gold rings in the last year that have come in the 18 -22 range on a whites idx-pro although some pulltabs were involved also.