PDA

View Full Version : my first buffalo, my first jesuit ring...more trade items....

abucooche
02-14-2012, 11:04 PM
yep, more trade items found, been searching the same spot for the last year. few weeks ago, found my first jesuit ring and buffalo nickle, had to look both of them up on the internet..didn't know what they were, haha.

Happy hunting, weather will be 69 tomorrow!!

Merc
02-15-2012, 07:42 AM
Nice artifacts you got there!

aloldstuff
02-15-2012, 08:08 AM
69 degrees, where are you located?? I want to go there. Some very nice relics you got there. Congrats.

Fire Fighter 43
02-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Great hint those at some cool relics. Good luck on your return trips. HH

del
02-15-2012, 02:40 PM
hey Abucooche , congrats on the great missionary jesuit ring , could you post a nice closeup of the design it has on it . these were given out to native Indians as gifts of friendships and to try to sway them to the path of Christianity . usually it was Christian priest or monk that offered these as they would travel on the frontiers to new villiages teaching the Indians their European language gaining their friendship and trying to convert them to God. it looke very early maybe late 1600's to very early 1720's , and the trigger guard parts are cool as well. keep hitting that site theres bound to be alot more. |:cheering: |:cheering: |:cheering:

Dan

abucooche
02-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Hello Dan, will post a close up tonite. THanks for the history of the ring, very interesting!!! I found the three trigger guards all within a two hour hunt! Am going out again this afternoon...

pulltabsteve
02-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Very nice looking hunt! Love that ring and the info that Dan provided on it is OUTSTANDING as usual :clapping:

Spiderwort
02-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Great finds. I'm currently reading a book about La Salle and his explorations of the Mississippi valley in the late 1600's. Lewis and Clark had nothing on the early French explorers. Thanks for sharing your finds and I am looking forward to seeing more of your finds.

OxShoeDrew
02-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Very nice looking hunt! Love that ring and the info that Dan provided on it is OUTSTANDING as usual :clapping:

Yep, agreed

abucooche
02-15-2012, 11:56 PM
hey Abucooche , congrats on the great missionary jesuit ring , could you post a nice closeup of the design it has on it . these were given out to native Indians as gifts of friendships and to try to sway them to the path of Christianity . usually it was Christian priest or monk that offered these as they would travel on the frontiers to new villiages teaching the Indians their European language gaining their friendship and trying to convert them to God. it looke very early maybe late 1600's to very early 1720's , and the trigger guard parts are cool as well. keep hitting that site theres bound to be alot more. |:cheering: |:cheering: |:cheering:

Dan
hey dan, here is a close up of the ring, i am eager to find another one and do some research on it. i went out for a little while today, found some sort of iron key??, looks like a knife blade, and few other copper pieces. not sure about the iron key, but interesting

CODY
02-18-2012, 09:17 AM
:wow: Very nice finds. Love the ring and the history of it. Congrats and good luck on the future hunts. |:cheering:

SeabeeRon
02-23-2012, 05:08 PM
I looked at this post because of the mention of the Jesuit Ring. Thanks for the explanation Dan!! Love this site, so much knowledge!

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-26-2012, 08:06 AM
awesome finds !!!!!!!!!!!!! that ring is sweet! |:cheering:

Cheap Thrills
02-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the forum Abucooche . Great finds and pictures .I'm liking that ring also .Thanks to you for posting and to Dan the history man for the gained knowledge . |:cheering: |:cheering:

plehbah
03-22-2012, 09:15 PM
I would give or do just about anything to have a site like that to hunt. You are making some really interesting discoveries.

Shoot me an offer if you must!