PDA

View Full Version : Ho hum, another Seated Liberty Dime...

Tony Two-Cent
02-18-2012, 11:10 PM
lol lol lol

Well, it took me over 49 years to find my first Seated Liberty coin, but just another 28 days to find my second one. :confused: :happydance01:

I tried a new hunting place today, an old park that I spotted a couple of weeks ago when I was on my way to a Super Bowl party out of town. I found the seated dime within 15 minutes of getting there. I'm glad I found the seated dime right away, otherwise I might have given up and moved on because I didn't find another keeper for almost 2 hours. After a while though I found an area that was more productive, and managed to find a Merc and three Indian Heads. I found 18 Indian Heads total for all of last year, as of today I have found 19 already this year.

The old coins at this park are few and far between, but with patience there are some to be found.

I must admit that I thought of Tim's grand slam when I found the seated dime right away. However, after finding the most difficult part of a grand slam I couldn't even muster a trifecta. Maybe next time. ;)

I had to laugh when I saw DaddyDigger's hunt for today. We had almost identical results except that I found a Merc instead of a buffalo. We both found a seated dime and three Indian Heads, plus some wheat cents. Quite a coincidence. :yes:

Fortunately, this time I got the recovery of the seated dime on video, all the way from the signal on the E-Trac to freeing the coin from the dirt clod. It will take me a while to edit and upload the video, I will probably post it tomorrow evening.

Here are my finds for the day:

And here are the keepers:

The soil at this park is not kind to copper coins, but the oldest Indian Head looked the best:

And here is the 1883 Seated Liberty Dime. The obverse looks great, but the reverse has something funky going on with it.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
02-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Wow Tony!!!! :perfect10:

Congratulations! She is a beauty!!!!

Full Metal Digger
02-18-2012, 11:27 PM
No Frickin' way!! I thought I one-upped you today for sure and then you beat me by 4 years on the seated dime! :white:usaflag:: I guess you had a pretty good laugh when you heard my phone message. :girlcry: Looks like that park was a good choice! Congrats on the cool finds. I look forward to our next hunt together. Best wishes and HH, Dave. p.s. Can you believe this weather??

Tony Two-Cent
02-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Wow Tony!!!! :perfect10:

Congratulations! She is a beauty!!!!

Thanks, Angie!

I guess you had a pretty good laugh when you heard my phone message.

Oops, I guess I need to check my phone messages. I didn't even know you left me one. :embarrassed:

angellionel
02-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Congrats Tony! She is a looker. :smitten: More will come. :clapping:

Ill Digger
02-19-2012, 01:48 AM
:huh: Hey buddy... I'm here to tell ya that that's no Ho hum hunt by any means! \:hammer: lol
I'd be tickled with a 1/6th of what you found today! :blackeye: You and Dave both smoked me today! >:tongue: >:tongue: lol
What a hunt! :envious: That's one action packed afternoon! :clapping: |:confused:)
Congrats on all the goodies! :grin: Specially your second Seated dime! :yes: :clapping:
:thinkingabout: :interesting: She's a fine specimen too if I might add :yes: thumbsup01

I must admit that I thought of Tim's grand slam when I found the seated dime right away. However, after finding the most difficult part of a grand slam I couldn't even muster a trifecta. Maybe next time. ;)
:blush: Thanks buddy! thumbsup01 Don't worry. It's still early in the game. :yes:
It's only the middle of the second. And there's defiantly nothing wrong with hitting a solid double! thumbsup01

aloldstuff
02-19-2012, 05:46 AM
Ho Hum, so whats new. Oh so you got another seated dime. Its amasing how the finds can come together, 49 years to 28 days. Huge congrats on the second, now how about a quarter, half or dollar. Maybe a capped bust......I just can't read another ho hum post again. LOL

MassDirtFisher
02-19-2012, 06:09 AM
Congrats on another stellar find. Way to go, Happy Hunting!!

CODY
02-19-2012, 08:27 AM
:wow: That is sooooo cool! WTG! |:cheering: Congrats. thumbsup01

starman2
02-19-2012, 10:20 AM
:perfect10:! Ho Hum indeed rofl! See!, You get spoiled finding alot of the shiny stuff all at once. Another great hunt Tony! Can't wait till the movie comes out. Should be another blockbuster <}. Congrats on some great finds |:cheering:. I'm surprised how well the seateds hold up after all that time. :thinkingabout: :clapping:

Hook
02-19-2012, 10:34 AM
ho hum my foot!!!! lol
i would KILL to find stuff like that. congrats on a great hunt and dont get spoiled now rofl

tanacat
02-19-2012, 11:16 AM
:omg:

That is a beautiful seated dime :clapping: Big time congrats Tony!!! Number 3 coming up I'm sure :) Literally - out of the ground... lol :cheesysmile:

:perfect10:

POKIE73
02-19-2012, 12:15 PM
nice find on the dime they do not come around that often great hunt dennis

Fire Fighter 43
02-19-2012, 05:58 PM
:wow: Congrats on a beutifull dime.

milco
02-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Super hunt! Congrats on the seated and the IH's, etc!

jkress
02-19-2012, 10:28 PM
<: <: <:

What a beauty Tony. :smitten: She's a nice one.
At this rate you'll be pulling Seated coins out on a regular basis. :->
Congrats on the IH's too. Great hunt.

Tony Two-Cent
02-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Here's the video. The seated dime was one of the first targets I recovered on this hunt so it's at the beginning of the video. I'm glad I got it on video from the signal on the E-Trac to freeing the coin from the dirt clod. As you will notice on the video I thought it was 1888 at first but when I got home and got my glasses on I could see that it was actually 1883.

Seated Liberty Dime with E-Trac Metal Detector February 18, 2012 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LgrxguelTo&feature=youtu.be#ws)

milco
02-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Great video! I am hoping to find a few of those this year!

two_bit_digger
02-20-2012, 11:54 AM
:beerbuddy: :beerbuddy: ..Congrats on landing that nice seated dime!!! :drool: :drool:..thanks for the video too.

...what's the quickest way to Monticello from Springfield?? :envious:

Ytcoinshooter
02-20-2012, 11:57 AM
:groovy: Darn nice finds. Seated dimes never get ho-hum :beerbuddy: !!! like your humor.

Tony Two-Cent
02-20-2012, 12:41 PM
...what's the quickest way to Monticello from Springfield?? :envious:

You're welcome to come and hunt in Monticello any time you want. Maybe you'll have better luck than me, I've never been able to find squat here. This particular park was a good 45 minute drive from Monticello. :grin:

I think the seated dime was a fluke. If you look at all the finds at once it looks like a decent day, but if you consider that I hunted for 7 hours straight you realize that there were long stretches of finding nothing.

But seriously, we should get together for a hunt sometime!

JTGOLD
02-20-2012, 12:42 PM
way to go tony,great finds and nice video.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-20-2012, 09:52 PM
nice! congrats on some fine lookin coinage! :perfect10: